• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

No good deed goes unpunished (in this case cleaning the chain)

QuinnSea

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading some of the maintenance threads I decided to remove the drive sprocket cover and "clean the gunk out". I cleaned the area and cleaned/lubed the chain and now I have noise coming from the sprocket gear while rotating the rear tire on the center stand while in neutral. I did notice that the drive sprocket has some play although the sprocket bolt is tight, is that normal? Any words of wisdom please?

Below is a picture of the alignment
IMG_20170501_191652240_HDR.jpg

Here is a short video of the sound
[video=youtube_share;bqdc6lgiyFY]https://youtu.be/bqdc6lgiyFY[/video]

Last edited:
After reading some of the maintenance threads I decided to remove the drive sprocket cover and "clean the gunk out". I cleaned the area and cleaned/lubed the chain and now I have noise coming from the sprocket gear while rotating the rear tire on the center stand while in neutral. I did notice that the drive sprocket has some play although the sprocket bolt is tight, is that normal? Any words of wisdom please?

Below is a picture of the alignment
View attachment 33280

Here is a short video of the sound
[video=youtube_share;bqdc6lgiyFY]https://youtu.be/bqdc6lgiyFY[/video]
it sounds tight or stiff but that could be the video. Also have you tried putting it all back together and go for a short ride and listening to it then?

Last edited:
It's hard to tell. My brand new chain and sprockets make noise but not that much noise.

Is that the OEM chain and sprocket? (eg 5 years old?)

They could be worn and rattling against each other instead of meshing smoothly. That would explain the play.

It may sound different than usual because you have the cover off.

A Suzuki GS750T I had once made a similar chain noise with the cover off. All put back together though, I never noticed any noise or vibration. Chain was fine for lots of miles, too. How many miles on your sprockets? Original parts?

I had used WD40 to clean the chain and it must really clean off the lube. I lubed it and posted the message above. I then decided to lube it again and then let the lube sit for 30 minutes, problem solved.

I had used WD40 to clean the chain and it must really clean off the lube. I lubed it and posted the message above. I then decided to lube it again and then let the lube sit for 30 minutes, problem solved.
You do realize that WD-40 is neither a cleaner nor a lubricant....right?

Sorry, for the confusion. I should have said I use WD-40 and a rag to clean the chain and then spray it with BelRay Chain lube.

I realize it’s not a cleaner, but despite that, it cleans some things pretty darn well.

WD40 is what I have used for years to clean my chains........I don't have kerosene laying around, and it STINKS anyway!!! WD40 now makes a "WD40 Bike Chain Cleaner" in a spray can.....comes out as a foam (which, personally I find harder to work with). Not trying to turn this into another "chain cleaning" thread, where everyone has their own opinions, but since the OP mentioned chain cleaning in the original post.........pile on..!!!!!!!!

I do realize many of us use WD40 in regular chain maintenance..........most be a dozen posts on the topic.

ADVRIDER has more than 50 threads on the topic along with a long term WD40 test and oring compatibility.

Chain maintenance and servicing is one of those HOT topics including cleaning, lube choices, service interval, replacement interval.

Last edited:
WD40 works wonders on the rear wheel - excess chain lube, oil/road grime, you name it. Just keep it off the tires. Also helps isolate any pesky squeaks without leaving an oily residue.

Back