• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adventure alternatives to bloated pigs: SOMEDAY?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5383
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5383

Adventure alternatives to bloatocycles: SOMEDAY?

Affordable "Adventure" alternatives to the current ADV bloatocycles may eventually be available and easier to come by, if the smaller manufacturers do well enough to get a trend going. Then maybe the megacompanies take notice and decide the niche is worth enough money to be leveraged -- and hopefully in the US market and not just the more enlightened parts of the world where adventure is more than just riding a way-heavy machine off pavement occasionally.

Possibilities...

[video=youtube_share;B5vfZ_MQuSI]https://youtu.be/B5vfZ_MQuSI[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems to be a huge demand for this type of ride in Australia, where there are a few 450-650cc Japanese machines not available in the US or not plate-able in many states, that somewhat fit the bill but still weigh more than desired or don't have adv-height/style seats. Other choices down under seem to favor the Yammie WR250R, and the very popular (due to cost and availability and aftermarket stuff that fits the ethos) Suzuki DR650 -- which is considered the heaviest a machine can be and still be tractable for the purpose both on- and off-road. There's a lot of awesome and daring riders in AUS too...

Here's what i'm talking about concerning AUS. Another consideration I forgot to mention is STRONG SUBFRAME. At one point I was considering getting a Husky 610 but the subframe turned out to be a joke, so I turned back to looking at maybe a already-converted and set up lower DR650, which is lighter than the Kawi KLR650 and does a lot better off-road. But that's still not what the category could be about... the AJP PR7 just beginning to be noticed abroad re-awakened my hopes. AJP seems to be making dealership inroads in North America. Anyway:

[video=youtube_share;ERHH927p_rw]https://youtu.be/ERHH927p_rw[/video]

I rode a couple of Suzuki DR650s, and a few KLR650s from fairly recent vintage to the latest. The KLRs seemed remarkably heavier than the Suzies, and more road-oriented by far. Wouldn't want to be dumping a KLR, partly because of the body work, partly because of the top-heavy feel as well as the actual weight. I'm not that big a boy to be casual about that. Sat on some Huskies and KTMs in the range: too FREEKING TALL, so didn't even bother to get a test ride.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people try real hard to miss the point.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people try real hard to miss the point.

What's "the point" then? If the point you're trying to make is that there are no feasible options for what many consider an "adventure" experience currently in the market, then I disagree with that point. Too tall? Lower it. Too heavy? Get stronger or get a smaller bike.

What did I miss?

Get stronger? Yeah, and every shorter person should get taller too.

I'll just leave this here :cool:

[video=youtube;NelBNtNm8l0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0[/video]

Heli support crew is on its way, Ewan!

OinkSquee.jpg

Stuck%20in%20mud%20poster_zps7xrkavxl.jpg

I had a long close look at the CCM when it first appeared. However the motor put me off. Now that a better motor is mooted I will look again

There's a few new CCM GP450's available in Ontario; but their base model list price is $17K (Cad).

Affordable "Adventure" alternatives to the current ADV bloatocycles may eventually be available and easier to come by, if the smaller manufacturers do well enough to get a trend going. Then maybe the megacompanies take notice and decide the niche is worth enough money to be leveraged --

...Honda has made probably more than a couple mid-displacement fairly light adventure machines in the past if one looks back, though the term wasn't used to sell them. I'd love to see them venture back into that, with what's available now for parts and materials and technologies. I'd love to see Yamaha or Suzuki or Kawi there too. BMW had some decent examples of mid-displacement machines back when, that were instrumental in putting the category on the map. Maybe their new small-displacement offering will lead to something a bit more affordable in the mid-displacement category eventually.

I had a long close look at the CCM when it first appeared. However the motor put me off. Now that a better motor is mooted I will look again
I second that eMOOTion! ; }

Back