• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Boot Waterproofing

potter0o

Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my boots for about a year and a half. Have had no issue with water except for now.

Boot: Alpinestars

I have small leaks after about 30 minutes in rain. I have read about different products from mink oil to Nikwax. I think the moisture is coming through the stitching.

What have others used to shore up the waterproofing? Any recommendations on things to avoid?

Last edited:
I just used aerosol can waterproofing. Scotchgaurd The kind that is labeled for tents or other fabrics, and sense I still had most if the can I sprayed my pants and jacket while I was at it. Lasted for the entire rainy season with no problems, now I just buy a can when it starts to rain. Make sure everything is good and dry before you apply after that it's easy. Oh yeah I almost forgot mink oil does work great on leather it just doesn't seam to stay if fabric or stitching

6f1274324e4c9757d1334e6827bbd192.jpg

These are the boots I use day in day out the are as comfortable as tennis shoes and last a year and a half or so per pair. I've worn the identical boot for over ten years. I mink oil the leather and scotch guard the fabric and they are water proof. Not the best riding boots but they have worked well so far

Last edited:
potter0o the boots you linked to are not waterproof. :confused:

You will probably not be able to make them waterproof.

you must not have used frogg toggs that had any real time on 'em ; }

I have had my boots for about a year and a half. Have had no issue with water except for now.

I have small leaks after about 30 minutes in rain. I have read about different products from mink oil to Nikwax. I think the moisture is coming through the stitching.

What have others used to shore up the waterproofing? Any recommendations on things to avoid?

Send them back. I have a pair of Oxtar, now TCX, Matrix waterproof Gore Tex boots that I bought twelve years ago. I have worn the boots almost every day I've been riding, they have never leaked. There must be 60,000 miles on them by now. I make sure I polish them once a month with Doc Bailey's Boot Black. Demand a replacement pair. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Edit/ Ask nicely, then demand a new pair.

Last edited:
My bad fixing it now. Waterproof version of same boot >.<

Ok. If they are leaking it's probably a problem with the waterproof membrane, which is under the leather layer and probably hard to fix. But waterproofing the leather could help because maybe less water will reach the waterproof membrane. I used Gorilla Tape to temporarily fix mine when I couldn't new boots in time before a trip. You could start by putting seam sealer on all the exposed threads & seams and see if that helps.

I use this (and Atsko's welt sealer on boots that have sewn welts):

41%2BdvK%2BzRYL._SX300_.jpg

Sorry to hear this. I have the same boots. I've rode with them in the rain a half dozen times or so, for around 30-60 mins at a time. I haven't had that problem and mine were used when I got them. I tend to agree with the others who said there must be a flaw and to send them back.

Sorry to hear this. I have the same boots. I've rode with them in the rain a half dozen times or so, for around 30-60 mins at a time. I haven't had that problem and mine were used when I got them. I tend to agree with the others who said there must be a flaw and to send them back.

They are passed the manufacturer's warranty period now. I wonder if my credit card has anything... At this time of year we get a lot of rain. It is easier to count the dry days than the wet.

They are passed the manufacturer's warranty period now. I wonder if my credit card has anything... At this time of year we get a lot of rain. It is easier to count the dry days than the wet.

I get ya, but you'd be surprised how good mfg treat their customers. I broke a zipper on a jacket and the mfg sent me a new one. I've had more good luck than bad. It don't hurt to ask.

I get ya, but you'd be surprised how good mfg treat their customers. I broke a zipper on a jacket and the mfg sent me a new one. I've had more good luck than bad. It don't hurt to ask.
In the long run it's a good system even before social media and forums like this one got to be a regular thing word of mouth has always been the greatest sales tool now days if you sale luxury items (anything you could live without) and you have selection or options to buy from different brands and models and from different stores, it's foolish to not listen to a customer and see if they have a valid complaint. Your boots are supposed to be water proof they are not, that's a real problem with what was expected vs what the company delivered on

Many credit cards double the mfgr warranty up to a total of some amount ($200-300 often). You can usually get this info and the conditions by searching on your card site for "extended warranty" or google your card and "extended warranty."

The conditions aren't much -usually that you pay for the item in full with the card, that the original warranty is 2 years or less. There's usually no registration of the purchase required but you'll need some proof of purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back