• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What Tank Bag for the 2016?

supertux1

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a search and found some threads and I believe the general consensus is that tank bags are either 1) not needed (frunk!) or 2) don't fit well (impede frunk opening / need metal tank.) I got several camping trips and rallies planned for late summer (anyone going to Central ADV Rally?) and I want a bag for travel stuff.

The 2016 has protrusions at the top front of the frunk lid (I call them fangs) and built in plastic rails for tank bags that I can't quite figure how they're going to work.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice of has seen any bags that would fit.

I'm thinking that nylon loops typically used to secure the front parts of tank bags could go around the 'fangs' instead the frame near the fork.

At the top of my list is one of the Wolfman Blackhawk or Explorer Lite:

Blackhawk Motorcycle Tank Bag by Wolfman Luggage - Made in USA | Wolfman Luggage

Explorer Lite Tank Bag by Wolfman Luggage - Made in USA | Wolfman Luggage

I'm leaning toward the blackhawk as the frunk lid carrying weight is limited.

Thoughts?

I have a Wolfman for my VFR. It uses a strap and magnets to stay on. It's well made and I've used it since around 2000.
Wolfman was actually about 1/4 mile away from where I worked at the time and they sold factory 2nds out of their facility (for those in the area).
I can't speak to use on the NCX but I like their products.

I have (and am selling) a FirstGear tank bag that has D-rings on the side. Might be able to use those to lash it to the rails? I think that would work better than a regular strap bag that has straps attaching to the front and back.

FirstGear magnetic tank bag

It's shown below with the magnetic base, but that zips off.

10-7247tankbag_1.jpg

That does look good Zirconx. And I like the padded wrist rest too !
I have a cheap I similar bag but the magnet flaps would have to be cut off. Tha sad thing about all the tank bags is no one makes a waterproof one. Surely it can't be that difficult
Mike

See here 3rd post down for a DIY solution along the lines suggested by the OP. The Oxford tank bag has a detachable base with magnetic flaps, which were cut off.

Last edited:
There are a number of suction-cup tank bags on the market that would work, especially if you are just looking for something to hold small essentials like glasses, phone, etc. First Gear makes several different models. Check Revzilla.

I have used the Rapid Transit Bag on my bike for a couple of years now with good results.

Hope this helps.

If it's just for a phone, which is what I'm primarily looking for, then I think I'm going to try one of those running/exercise arm bands with an extender. They even have one for my Samsung S7 that rotates to landscape mode - probably ideal when using Waze/ Google Maps. The S7 has built-in water protection so it should be good in that regard.

For longer trips where the frunk is full and my tail bag is full I'd be interested to see what you find that can have a map/phone on the top/front and maybe hold a camera and a few other items.

That does look good Zirconx. And I like the padded wrist rest too !
I have a cheap I similar bag but the magnet flaps would have to be cut off. Tha sad thing about all the tank bags is no one makes a waterproof one. Surely it can't be that difficult
Mike

They do make waterproof tank bags, but they are few and far between. I have a Givi GRT705, which is waterproof without a cover. I think I might switch to a tank-lock bag though and put the GRT705 up for sale. This is for my Kawasaki Versys, FYI.

SW-Motech and Giant Loop also make waterproof bags. I looked into those but they are pretty small. Made for smaller dual sport bikes.

givi_grt705_bag.web1.jpg

Last edited:
If it's just for a phone, which is what I'm primarily looking for, then I think I'm going to try one of those running/exercise arm bands with an extender. They even have one for my Samsung S7 that rotates to landscape mode - probably ideal when using Waze/ Google Maps. The S7 has built-in water protection so it should be good in that regard.

For longer trips where the frunk is full and my tail bag is full I'd be interested to see what you find that can have a map/phone on the top/front and maybe hold a camera and a few other items.

The Rapid Transit suction cup one does that. It has a clear-topped map pouch on the top and a phone/GPS holder in the front with cord slot. Here's a link for a pic. Rapid Transit Recon Sport Tank Bag - RevZilla

So, did anyone found the bag that fits 2016's tank well?
I'm looking for something that has been tested, not just a bag that will fit "in theory" :)
2016+ models have plastic rails on the frunk, so it's *completely* different from the earlier models.

So, did anyone found the bag that fits 2016's tank well?
I'm looking for something that has been tested, not just a bag that will fit "in theory".
2016+ models have plastic rails on the frunk, so it's *completely* different from the earlier models.
I have been considering a tank bag to use with the 2016 slots and finding it difficult to find anything designed for us. My latest thinking has me in a dilemma whether to take the easy way out.

Because we have a frunk cover with underside access, I'll just drill holes in the cover and bag, use bolts with butterfly nuts and large diameter washers to mount at the four corners of the bag's interior. That would allow me to pick among the features of many different bag styles instead of just one style that may fit the slots.

I bought this one on sale and can try my solution. I'll just trim any extra fabric/buckles off the bottom/sides, put a foam pad between the bag and frunk cover, and bolt it on. I don't plan on using it as a backup day backpack.

IMG_2437.JPG

I'll be able to use other tank bags in the future just by drilling the same hole pattern in it and swapping them out.

Ray

Last edited:
I am actually going to check out some of the bicycling packs. I am pretty sure my under the seat packs may be just what I am looking for with size and how it straps on. I just want immediate things like $, phone, and other small items. The bike already has tons of storage! I currently have the 2016 NC700XD

Last edited:
I'll just drill holes in the cover and bag, use bolts with butterfly nuts

I think it is funny (or brave?) at how casually you talk about drilling holes through the top of your bike!

Since you are drilling anyway, have you considered a quick release system? You are limiting yourself to one brand, yes... but if you pick a quality bag brand you really like you can replace it later with another bag that uses the same system. Personally, I like Oxford. I have a X40 tailbag and love it.

You could then take the bag on and off quickly, and buy a large one for travel and a little one for commuting.

I have thought about this... a lot. I would likely find a way to 3D print a plate for under so it works with the curve of the tank.

Tank Bags : Oxford Products

I have a silver/black NC, so I think the ring would look ok on the bike with no bag on it.
TYPE 4 QR TANK ADAPTOR : Oxford Products

Last edited:
I have been considering a tank bag to use with the 2016 slots and finding it difficult to find anything designed for us. My latest thinking has me in a dilemma whether to take the easy way out.

Because we have a frunk cover with underside access, I'll just drill holes in the cover and bag, use bolts with butterfly nuts and large diameter washers to mount at the four corners of the bag's interior. That would allow me to pick among the features of many different bag styles instead of just one style that may fit the slots.

I bought this one on sale and can try my solution. I'll just trim any extra fabric/buckles off the bottom/sides, put a foam pad between the bag and frunk cover, and bolt it on. I don't plan on using it as a backup day backpack.

View attachment 32781

I'll be able to use other tank bags in the future just by drilling the same hole pattern in it and swapping them out.

Ray

Not sure if you proceeded, but I had an idea. Want if you had, say, 4 "Velcro" straps that had (stainless?) snap heads on them that could be wrapped around the frunk "rack," then have the mating snaps installed on the bag. Should be pretty secure without having to drill. Just an idea. Btw, I am also trying to find a (2016) tank bag solution.

I was thinking something like this bike bag, or a bicycle rear rack bag may workRoswheel-55-PVC-Touchscreen-Cycling-Bike-Phone-Saddle-Bag-Yellow_600x600.jpg

Not sure if you proceeded, but I had an idea. Want if you had, say, 4 "Velcro" straps that had (stainless?) snap heads on them that could be wrapped around the frunk "rack," then have the mating snaps installed on the bag. Should be pretty secure without having to drill.
This project is working its way up the to-do list. I'll give your idea some consideration but I'm looking for a more permanent fix that would keep the bag from being easily removed/stolen while unattended.

Ray

Not sure if you proceeded, but...
Well, I finally got around to mounting the tank bag I bought last winter. I was lucky to grab a closeout deal, $34, on a Motocentric Weekender GPS Tank Bag. It is a sorta clone of the First Gear Laguna GPS Tank Bag ($$$).

I decided I wanted a dedicated tank bag, not one to take off and double as a day pack. I initially thought about drilling holes thru the frunk cover and bolt it on.

Looking at the bag and the frunk cover slots, I decided to sacrifice the bag and not the frunk cover. I pulled out my trusty pocket knife and cut a couple small slots thru the bottom of the bag on both sides. I then could feed the straps thru and have the clasps attach inside the bag. It was so easy peasy because of those frunk cover slots! I also looped one strap across at the forward locking area of the frunk cover. Taking a quick test ride, the bag was solid in place.

Pics show it easily...notice I trimmed off all the buckles and extending pads from all around the bag.

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

If you willing to make a few cuts in the bottom of a bag, then any bag will fit if you want a dedicated tank bag.

Ray

Back