• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Countershaft oil leak

skillet_idly

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 14k miles on my DCT and have a leak behind the front sprocket. I want to know if there was another way to possibly fix this without having the dealer remove the motor to fix it which is a very expensive, labor intensive job?

If it is a small leak you might want to consider taking it to a different shop and trade it in on a new one. Depends on the cost of repair but you might be ahead getting rid of it. Doesn't sound like the right thing to do however maybe it is.

Slow down on the trade in.........

Did a shop diagnose and confirm a seal leak ?????

Verify its an engine oil leak and NOT excessive chain oiling.
Verify the chain is not too tight.......too tight can trash the counter shaft bearing and seal. Too tight to long can cause extensive damage. Bad bearing causes a bad seal from the chain tension.
Many times the counter shaft seal can be replaced without engine removal.

Pull the counter shaft cover, clean things up then determine the cause and extent of the leak.

The bad news is.......looking at the shop manual the counter shaft does look like it has a lip on the seal ? It's not real clear. More than once the seal lip has been removed and the seal tapped into place from the outside to avoid a big expensive repair. It's not the "right" or "approved way" but it is done.
If the bearing is damaged the new seal will NOT fix the leak.
If the bearing is damaged stop riding the bike, it will get worse and damage or destroy more components. $$$$

image.jpg

If there's a lot of crap in and around the seal just cleaning may help the leak.

Last edited:
I have 14k miles on my DCT and have a leak behind the front sprocket. I want to know if there was another way to possibly fix this without having the dealer remove the motor to fix it which is a very expensive, labor intensive job?
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but my bike is having a similar issue. I'm hoping it's not a countershaft leak, but your symptoms are similar to mine.

Did you get this resolved easily?

My '013 DCT model has 16k miles and I always wipe the drive chain with paper towels after cleaning/lubing to reduce the fling-off factor. And no leakage from the countershaft seal...that I know of. :)

Last edited:
I also saw recently a lot of GOO around this area that has made me paranoid but will need to clean it out to investigate closer, it could very well be all kinds of lubricants I've been trying :)

On a serious note though, has anybody (reading this) had any issues with countershaft seals on the NC's ???

Thank you.

So far it has NOT been an issue.
The earlier prior reports were never confirmed and or the OP did not post a resolution.

Excessive and residual chain lube and dirt/grit it attracts is common and it’s a good idea to remove the sprocket cover and clean the area every so often.

Last edited:
So far it has NOT been an issue.
The earlier prior reports were never confirmed and or the OP did not post a resolution.

Excessive and residual chain lube and dirt/grit it attracts is common and it’s a good idea to remove the sprocket cover and clean the area every so often.

Have you experienced this yourself or just something you have seen on the forum?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I screwed up and corrected the post NOTbeen an issue.

OK - thanks. I cleaned up the area on mine really well and took another look after a 3 hour ride and didn't see anything except lube (reasonable amounts) which you cannot avoid in that area so it's hard to tell but I'm gonna leave it be and assume it's all good!

Back