• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flashing gear indicator

Strange. I noticed the speed of the blinking changed from the beginning, as well. At first it was about two times per second, then it went to about once per second, just after you raised the sidestand and started the motor. No idea if that is completely meaningless or what, though.

I had that 2 times so far wiith the bar blinking, no further problems. Both times it was after long rides when the oil was probably really hot, then turning off the engine for a few minutes, probably with the DCT still in gear (I'm lazy). Turning the ignition off and on again a few times and rocking the bike back and forth (to help it get back into neutral) seemed to help. I have not experienced anything with the bike in gear and blinking indicator while riding. There's a big section in the official workshop manual with DCT diagnostic but if I recall correctly almost everything of that involves reading the error codes from a proprietary plug.

I had that 2 times so far wiith the bar blinking, no further problems. Both times it was after long rides when the oil was probably really hot, then turning off the engine for a few minutes, probably with the DCT still in gear (I'm lazy). Turning the ignition off and on again a few times and rocking the bike back and forth (to help it get back into neutral) seemed to help. I have not experienced anything with the bike in gear and blinking indicator while riding. There's a big section in the official workshop manual with DCT diagnostic but if I recall correctly almost everything of that involves reading the error codes from a proprietary plug.
My case was the opposite.
I rode my bike for the last time on a saturday and place it to rest on my garage on neutral (I always do this).

There it stayed left alone for 2 days (Sunday and Monday) and only rode it today (Tuesday).

check the battery leads to make sure they are tight. We have seen all kinds of weird electrical issues caused by loose battery connections and bad batteries.

The flashing "-" is described in the service manual(2012-2015), but there is no mention of gear numbers flashing.
This must be a new implementation on the 2016 models.
But I'm sure it is indication of some sort of malfunction.
The ECM receives input from 24+ sensors and switches any of which can trigger this indication.
You can try to find the source on your own or take it to the dealer who should be able to read the DTC (trouble code).

Here's a video of what happened...

In your video, starting at 0:55, it can be seen 5 long self-diagnosing blinks before process was interrupted by your starting engine up.
(My bet is on code #52:
Neutral switch stuck OFF
• Loose or poor contact of the neutral switch connector)
If you don't have service manual you should go to your dealer for interpretation of self-diagnostics.
Even if you have service manual, in a case of DCT most problems with it are too complicated to be solved in a garage by most of us.

[...We have seen all kinds of weird electrical issues caused by loose battery connections and bad batteries...]

The DCT models are especially critical.

This topic hasn't been discussed for several months but I'd like to add my experience to this. This same thing has happened to me 3 times in almost 4 years. The first time was during a trip and it did not want to start the next morning. And after I got back from that same trip but then figured out the quick fix to get it started. Grab the front brake while hitting the starter. It must override a safety mechanism so in case the bike is in gear it won't lurch forward when started. Just a speculation. And it happened again just yesterday after just being ridden the day before for in town errands. It started up with the brake applied and as I was riding it while the gear box was flashing every second. But the bike behaved normal. When I got back on a couple hours later it was fine like nothing happened. My battery is fine, brand new. And since it is each episode was about two years apart with no other issues. Can't be anything too serious I hope. I have a 2013 DCT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This happens to me on my 2015 700 on my way home from work. I parked it in the garage, turned it off. I turned it back on and it was gone. I hope it will stay this way.

Last edited:
This happened to me this past weekend. Flashing gear #, otherwise the bike performed normally. It would even switch from D to S. Turned off, then back on at a light, and everything returned to normal. I suspect that it's an early indication of a dying battery. I've owned the bike for 3 years and have never replaced it. I bought it used with <1500 miles on it. I have no reason to assume that its ever been replaced. I plan on getting a new one today.

I haven't been able to get a new battery yet and while I was out riding yesterday, the bike refused to start. The starter button produced no reaction. It was like it wasn't connected to anything. I tried turning the key off and then back on, at least 5 times with the same result. It wasn't until I squeezed the front brake while I pressed the button that it started. When I put it in gear, the gear indicator began flashing again. It took 3 restarts before the indicator was constant again. I decided to come home early from the ride since I was about an hour from home and planning to go further.

Amazon says the I should have my new battery today. I'm really hoping this is all it is. In 2 weeks, I'm heading out on for close to 3 months.

Back