• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

National Cycle Vstream Tall Windscreen N20009

OneGun

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm considering purchasing a large touring windscreen for an upcoming trip and this one looks like it's pretty big... which is what I'm looking for. I'm really interested in getting something that provides the maximum wind protection and, thus, noise reduction in my helmet. I've been looking at this for a while and have a few questions I was hoping the forum could help me with.

1. Does this screen come with any additional support/brackets? I've heard that some aftermarket windscreens won't hold up if you just screw them into the OEM bolt holes. In the ad, it looks like the N20009 comes with some type of mount/bracket.

2. If anyone has/has used this screen, what is your feedback/experience?

3. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a very large screen?

Thanks in advance for any/all input and my apologies if these questions have been answered in other threads.

I currently have the V-Stream 22" windshield on my NC700X. It has its own welded, tubular bracket that offers great support to the windshield and as far as I can tell, it totally eliminates windshield shake at speed. The bracket bolts to the Honda windshield mount using four 8 mm bolts with flange nuts - a solid, metal-to-metal connection. The rubber sleeve, Honda-provided "well nuts" are removed and not used at all. Installation is straightforward and everything fit as designed with rubber mounts to isolate the windshield from shock. The still air pocket around my helmet is OK but somewhat compromised by air coming around the lower sides, over the turn signals, etc. The front of the NC is aerodynamically "dirty."

There are many riders on this website that swear by the Madstad windshield.

Last edited:
I also use the national cycle V-Stream 22" windshield. It does a great job. The thing for me that has saved me a few times now is the fact that this is the only windshield avaible to the NC7 that is Polycarbonate. The new windshield on the Honda Africa Twin is Polycarbonate, as it takes a licking and keeps on keeping on.

[video=youtube;HlEfJFDWXpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlEfJFDWXpM[/video]

Attachments

• Windshield 001.jpg
    Windshield 001.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:
I have the 22" Madstad. It is acrylic so the first one died in a slow speed fall. I missed it when it was away so got another one. The mounting bracket has some adjustment for the angle and the height. In the warm weather I keep it down to increase the airflow. In the cold weather I move it up.

I have the tall(est) V-Stream, too. One of the bolts they included was manufactured improperly, so I used a spare out of my 'bolt bin.'

For me, the screen is only good for our winters, or if I know I'll be somewhere very cold (to me). Otherwise, I want more airflow, particularly through my helmet vents. That's not a criticism of the windscreen, rather it just means I don't want that much still air when I ride. :)

I do find that the screen shakes a bit in its mount at certain combinations of speed + throttle opening. Nothing terrible, but it shakes more than the Honda tall screen.

It definitely changes the air and sound for me as a rider. I'm 5'11" and have about 'average' body vs. leg proportions (a 33" inseam jean is about perfect). I perceive an increase in ultra-low-frequency 'noise,' but I suppose it's possible that is a consequence of reduced noise at higher freqs.

Because I like more airflow for my helmet during most of the year, I've nearly listed it in the classifieds here a couple times. Don't really know why I ended up not.

I use the vStream for "winter" in California, but the rest of the year I switch back to the stock screen. There just isn't enough air getting through in the hot weather to be comfortable, I use earplugs with the stock screen.

Well thanks everyone for the input. I went ahead and ordered the N20009. Hopefully it's what I need. Really just looking for something to reduce the noise level. I'll report once I get it installed and get some miles on it.

Really just looking for something to reduce the noise level.
Foam ear plugs?

I found the 22" windscreen pretty loud with quite a bit of buffeting. Also kinda tall to look over in the rain. I ended up adding an adjustable MRA X-Creen touring spoiler and it made all the difference in the world. Having the ability to fine tune a windscreen is important unless you get extremely lucky. Lots of riders go through lots of screens looking for the perfect one. An adjustable spoiler makes that process easier and (probably) cheaper.

Link to spoiler: MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade - RevZilla

I recently added the shorty, dark screen for when I'm not in all-out touring mode. I'm thinking of adding a similar spoiler to it and that might just make it perfect.

Windscreens are highly personal, hope you get it right without spending too much ;-)

IMG_2519-L.jpg

IMG_2770-L.jpg

Foam ear plugs?

I guess I should have provided more detail. What I'm really trying to do, in part, is get a screen that will reduce the noise level enough to where I can listen to music/podcasts using the "Plugphones" earbuds that I just bought. I have a very long trip coming up and would really like to pass some of the miles listening to something. I tried them last week when I bought them, but when I play podcasts through them, I can barely hear... music is a little better.

So I'm hoping this monster screen cuts the noise enough to where I can hear what's coming through my headphones.

Okay, so it arrived in the mail last Friday and the install took me about 15 minutes... 30 if you include breaks for sipping beer. I took one short ride and then today I commuted to work (40 miles one way) with this screen installed. I'd say it cut down the wind noise in my helmet by a good 30% (conservative estimate) and overall I'm pretty happy... I think I made a good choice getting this for my upcoming cross-country trip.

My only complaint is that the top of the screen is a bit too high and is in my field of vision in my normal riding position. But that's not really bothering me at the moment and as time goes on, I'm sure I'll notice it less and less. So yeah, I would recommend this product to anyone looking for more wind protection and/or less wind on/in their helmet.

I'm considering trying one of these out. I've had a Givi on my bike for a couple years now and it's been OK. In particular, I still get a lot of wind noise. I'm curious if you're still happy with this, and whether the "in your field of vision" issue is still one for you. I'm about 5' 11", how tall are you and which size did you get?

About that slightly too tall windshield. I like my windshields two inches below eye level when seated straight up and looking 100 yards down the road. I find that in the rain a slight slouch has me protected.

Anyway I have cut down shields to fit since my first Windjammer in 1976. It's quite easy to do. A jigsaw with fine blade and masking tape to protect the plastic from the saw foot and your in business. Finish off sanding the edge and it will look like stock. I've never ruined one.

Buy tall, measure twice and cut once.

I'm considering trying one of these out.
My experience, yours will probably vary ;-)

The 22 inch VStream was a bit too tall, not for seeing over (I can see over it fine). More importantly as I posted before, it didn't work all that great due to buffeting that punched my helmet side to side like I was being pummeled by Mike Tyson. And, it was LOUD (I ride with a uber quiet Schuberth modular and ear plugs). Deafening loud. I have to run about 60 miles/day on Interstate 95 @ 75 mph and it was terrible.

Adding the spoiler I referenced in my post (#8, and about 11,000 miles ago) made it 1000% better since you can actually direct the air flow and adjust the height/angle. The spoiler has practically an unlimited range of angles and heights to play with and can be fine-tuned to your requirements.

I would probably have sold the screen if I didn't get the spoiler. Yes, the spoiler is that good. Pricey? Yes.

But....

The spoiler adds even more height to the screen, even when adjusted all the way down. If I were to do it over, I would get Vstrom's next size shorter screen or, I should have cut the Vstream down before I mounted the spoiler. Right now, with the spoiler mounted on the screen it is about 80 percent perfect and I'm ok with it. I've cut down windscreens before, and as posted, it is pretty simple.

The issue is if I adjust the spoiler so I get a (relatively) quiet pocket of air, it is in my line of sight. No bueno.

If you read this far, my disclaimer is that windscreens are highly personal and many riders find a stock [insert name of aftemarket screen] perfectly fine with no additional mods or pricey spoilers.

IMG_3097-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back