• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yosemite Off Road Trip

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
I recently had the pleasure of riding in an event put on by Family Off-Road Adventures - Yosemite Dual Sport Adventure 2011.

On Friday last week, a co-worker, a friend of his he had just made and I rode out to Buckmeadows for the event. My co-worker Jason and I stayed a at local hotel and his new friend Drew camped out at a nearby campground. Registration for the event took place Friday evening so we left from my house in Stockton a little after noon. Made good time riding to the site. Got all checked in the the hotel and then registered for the event. Then we rode to the campsite to help Drew set up his tent. After that we went to the restaurant by the hotel for some dinner and beers, the three of us plus one more guy that was at the same campsite as Drew for the event.

Yosemite trip by jde95tln, on Flickr

After dinner we went back to the hotel which is literally at the end of the parking lot for the restaurant and began to unload the bikes. While pulling the luggage off of my bike. I unfortunately took off the heaviest pannier which was on the sidestand side of the bike. Also unfortunately it was dark and I couldn't see that my sidestand was on a tree root. So, when I took the left pannier off, my bike began to tip over. When it went down with a crash my top box hit another bike, a Tiger 800 and it started to go down hitting a KTM1190 next to it. CRAP!!! Luckily Jason, caught the Tiger 800 and stopped it from going all the way down and taking the KTM with it. I put my pannier down and helped right up the Tiger. Then we picked mine up off the ground and parked it somewhere more stable. The Tiger broke it's brake level at the weak point where it's designed to break. So, although it was damaged the owner was still able to ride the next day. That was my biggest fear at the moment, was that I might have caused someone else to not be able to ride during the event before it even started. After things calmed down and I surveyed the damage on mine. I would be able to ride still, but before I could head home on Sunday I would have to figure out how to secure my top box. Since the plastic adapter plate was destroyed in the drop. Also the metal mounts got bent up a bit.

Here's some pics of the mount the next morning just before the event started.

Saturday morning we get up have some breakfast at the place next to the hotel and by buddy Jason's bike starts kind of sluggish, like the battery wasn't happy with the cool morning. But it start's.

Here's some pic's at the pre-ride meeting on Saturday. Had a little safety briefing of sorts and then we headed out.

So, after the safety spiel. We were off! Went down the road a little ways and then hit the dirt. We were doing pretty good for a while Jason on his BMW650GS, Drew on his BMW1200GS and me on my NC700X and about 100 other riders!

Didn't take too long until we got to the first creek crossing and BAM! Jason's 650GS just died. Remember how it was difficult to start? His battery just lost a cell as the best it would put out was only 9volts. So, we pushed it out of the creek so the other bikes could get by and started to try and get it going.

Battery Trouble by jde95tln, on Flickr

Jason happened to have a Fluke meter with him. He can't help it, he does electrical stuff for a living. We, troubleshot it the best we could even had a rider show up with one of those lithium ion battery jump starters. That got it started, but you had to rev the crap out of the bike to keep it going. All the while the dash is throwing trouble codes left and right, RPMs are reading all over the RPM range. So, that was the end of his ride. We waited for the sweep bikes to show up and radio the sweep truck to pick him and his bike up. The people putting on this event are a great group of folks/family (hence the name). They got the truck in front of his bike, put down a ramp and about 3-4 of us pushed it up the ramp and secured his bike in the back of the truck.

After that is when I started filming with my video camera. The audio is horrible, and I don't really have much editing skill or any software for it. I may try and use YouTube's version at some point. Just haven't had the time.

So first video is after Jason got his bike in the truck and we carried on. Drew on his 1200GS and Justin the guy from the campground who also had a 1200GS left me in the dust and I was trying to catch up to someone, as I didn't really know where I was going. I was following Jason with his GPS on his phone before he broke down. I just followed the tracks as best I could and used my phone for GPS as best I could.

[video=youtube_share;KH240W9i-rA]https://youtu.be/KH240W9i-rA[/video]

The second video here, is when I finally caught up to Drew and Justin. They had stopped with some other guys who were staying with a guys who went down and broke some ribs. Didn't know this at the time but it's the guy hugging his top box near the end of the video.

[video=youtube_share;BtqlWUbMWQo]https://youtu.be/BtqlWUbMWQo[/video]

So, after catching up to the guys we went on in a group of 3 while the others waited with the injured guy until he got picked up by the sweep truck and taken to the hospital. The next video will probably get the most views if I'm upfront about me eating it in this one. Got caught in a rut. To the right was a long drop and I got a little nervous, wanted to go left, but the bike said NO! If you watch closely in the upper left corner you will see my helmet as I roll down the hill a little bit. Thankfully I didn't get hurt at all, but my skid plate and my left pannier took a bad hit. The, pannier was only hanging by 2 of the 4 mounting points. Luckily I was able to get it back on and continue. Oh, and even though the audio is horrible there may be some obscene language that you can make out why I see my pannier hanging off the bike.

[video=youtube_share;qvBs5RPEMCY]https://youtu.be/qvBs5RPEMCY[/video]

Luckily Drew heard my horn and stopped. After I get back on and continue you can see him walking back to check on me. After that it was thought best that I ride in between the two GS's instead of pulling up the rear.

[video=youtube_share;hvdcLPqMZbk]https://youtu.be/hvdcLPqMZbk[/video]

Thankfully after my one go down on the trail, I kept the rubber side down the rest of the way and had no more ungraceful dismounts. The two Bemmer guys both went down a time or two after that.

[video=youtube_share;Oqm0ZByQ7Yo]https://youtu.be/Oqm0ZByQ7Yo[/video]

Not sure if I caught any evidence of that on video. I still haven't gotten to go through all the video I took on the trip yet. Wish I had stopped and taken more pictures, but Jason's bike breaking had put us far behind the rest of the group. We were the last one's to the lunch spot at about 1:30pm.

I've got more videos, but they are just more of the same trails and kinda boring. I plan on putting them up on YouTube and if anyone wants to see them they can find them through one of the other vids already posted.

Continuing the story...

After we finally got to the lunch spot at a local pizza joint. We had a salad bar and all you can eat pizza. After fueling up with food the sweep truck showed up after dropping off the injured rider at the hospital. While there we talked with Jason and tried to determine if all he needed was a new battery or if he had other problems like the alternator/stator not charging the battery. From there calls were made and Modesto BMW had a battery, but they don't store them with acid in them or charged. So, Jason places and order over the phone for a new battery and charger. The dealership fills it up with acid and starts to charge it, while Drew offers to ride 3hrs round trip to get the battery and charger. Justin and I opt to take the road back to the starting point. After a nice shower back at the hotel Jason and the truck show up and we get his bike off of the truck.

Meanwhile a couple other guys who we met at the hotel that drove up from Southern California with their bikes in the back of a truck had offered me some bailing wire and large zip ties to secure my top box to me rear rack for the trip home.

Then we wait for Drew to get back. And we wait. More than 3hrs pass and it's getting about time to go to the dinner/raffle for the event. Of course we all have no cell reception out there, so Jason and I hope on my bike and go to the raffle. Thinking maybe Drew is there.

Turns out he is, and he's got the battery and charger to charge all night in the hotel to try in the morning to get Jason's bike running for the trip into Yosemite. But first food and a raffle for motorcycle related stuff!

Next morning, my bike and Jason's GS. It runs!! Was just a bad battery after all! After the issues with his bike the day before and my luggage issues we opted not to take the dirt trail on Sunday. Instead we take HWY120 into Yosemite and ride up to Glacier Peak. The view was amazing!

Stopping at a vista point to take some pictures on the way to the park.

Yosemite Valley

Yosemite-3 by jde95tln, on Flickr

Half Dome

Yosemite-1 by jde95tln, on Flickr

Another Valley shot.

Yosemite Valley by jde95tln, on Flickr

After enjoying the view for a bit, we headed back down into the park for lunch with the group.

Shortly after we ate lunch a storm started to roll in. The started to pick up and you could tell it was going to start raining. The crew broke down all the tables real quick and packed it all up. We still had to stop off at the gift shop and get our kids some souvenirs. Jason has two little ones like me. Anyway, unfortunately my battery died in my video camera on the way down from Glacier Peak. Otherwise I would have gotten some good video of the thunder, lightening and hail we rode through to get out of the Valley. Put my gear to the test, and it failed. I had a bad case of soggy crotch. Really looking at getting some good Klim gear now, that's what Drew had. He stayed dry. Plus sometime within the next year I want to do a much longer trip to Utah.

Hope you enjoyed reading about the trip, a fraction as much as I enjoyed going on this little adventure. I will put up more videos later as I upload them. May put the links here. Hopefully I can get my buddy's to get their videos posted soon and I can link their too. One guy we met from Colorado was following us out of the park in the storm with his camera going. Would like to see that footage for myself.

Sucks on the panniers. Looks like a great place to ride and hope you still had a blast. Went ahead and watched videos 4 n 5.
Do have to say your roll was nice but you got to work on the bouncing back up. Needs to be roll and quick pop back up on the feet....or my preferred method is to roll and then lay on my back enjoying the beautiful blue sky.

Sucks on the panniers. Looks like a great place to ride and hope you still had a blast. Went ahead and watched videos 4 n 5.
Do have to say your roll was nice but you got to work on the bouncing back up. Needs to be roll and quick pop back up on the feet....or my preferred method is to roll and then lay on my back enjoying the beautiful blue sky.

Yes, I do need to work on my dismount technique. But, not sure if I want to practice that part. LOL

*sniffle sniffle* home...

Beautiful shots, looks like the trip was a blast.
Thanks, it was. Once I got over the stress of breaking my bike and worrying about how I was going to get home with a busted top box...

Hope things are going well for you, your hubby and the tiny human. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A couple more videos..

[video=youtube_share;q981msKF4zA]https://youtu.be/q981msKF4zA[/video]

[video=youtube_share;C13uDhpLcAc]https://youtu.be/C13uDhpLcAc[/video]

[video=youtube_share;IYRn_MJV-jA]https://youtu.be/IYRn_MJV-jA[/video]

That's it for Saturdays dirt videos. After that the battery died on my camera and it was too dusty and dirty for me to want to try and take it out of the waterproof case to charge while filming. Next group of videos will be from Sunday ride into the park itself.

Here's the video that my friend Jason had made about our trip. He was on the 650GS that broke down. Most of the video is from either is phone or his GoPro, some footage from my camera and some from the other guys video who rode with us. It's a better production than my videos that are just raw footage.

[video=youtube_share;VujAJklo9dk]https://youtu.be/VujAJklo9dk[/video]

Back