• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

horn upgrade

The stock horn might be 110 db measured 1" from it. In use on the bike there is no way it's 110 db. Meep, meep.

dB is a log scale, so actually a small numerical gain could be significantly louder.

When I changed the OEM horn on my cruiser I went to a Wolo air horn. However, you have to go through a relay or you will burn out the OEM horn button wiring. No real problem to d. I am thinking of doing the same to the NC. That dinky horn can barely be heard above the wind noise. I want to blow you off the road when I hit that button. Rode it last night for the first night ride. I was amazed how much that headlight puts out. Very good but still want to add some driving lights to the sides.

What kind of additional wiring is required for the Denali Soundbomb. I want to add one.

I believe it is 20 amps, too much to direct wire in place of the stock horn. A relay would be needed. 14 to 16 gauge wire probably.

I think you can go a lot thinner on the wire than you'd expect, because this is not a load that's constantly 'on', tucked behind dry-wall next to insulation or bundled with other wires etc...

To all: I finally did this horn upgrade. Installed twin horns (hi/lo) purchased from Harbor Freight ($10) on the lower frame - one at the existing mount and one on the other left side. Considered mounting inside the fake air ducts, but felt that would attenuate the sound and don't know how reliable they'll be.
MUCH louder than the meep meep oem horn, but draws >10 amps so used a 40amp relay (came with the horns). Powered directly from battery through a 20amp fuse that also feeds my power outlet; the solenoid is activated by the existing horn leads.
So how much louder is it? For your comparison, I have a back to back video of the oem vs the new ones, but cannot figure out how to insert. If you want to hear/see it, I'll email to you directly.
Had a friend ride alongside in a cage - he says it sounds like a loud car horn now (cause that's what it is!) and commands attention.

I fitted a Denali Soundbomb mini to my 2013 NC700X today. It's a like for like swap and much, much better than stock.

The horn wires are a little short so I had to release them a little from under another cable but they just reach without having to bend the bracket.

Plake, did you use the Denali bracket?

Do you happen to have any photos of your installation? I've got one coming this week and was curious about routing the wiring.

Hey denete, no need to use the Denali bracket and even the nut is compatible if you want to reuse the Honda one.

It's late here but will try to get a picture tomorrow. I did use a bit of self amalgamating tape around the wire/connector junction on the original leads to make it look neater and waterproof it the inner wires were just visible.

Sorry for the delay. Here is the Denali Soundbomb Mini, the horn is supposed to point down to allow drainage.

1479237027.8621.jpg

1479237147.8622.jpg

1479237214.5502.jpg

Last edited:
7.5 amp fuse blown after installed Denali Soundbomb mini

Hello Plake,
I might have done something wrong ? After replacing the OEM horn with the Denali, the fuse blew up after the first toot and lost power on the dashboard. Do I need a relay for that 5amp horn, or just put a 10-15amp fuse instead?
Thanks for the advice, Daniel

My understanding on horn upgrades is that generally you need a relay so that the OEM horn switch is only switching the relay, which then switches the higher amp horn. Without the relay, the horn switch can’t handle the higher amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a video of a chap replacing that same horn to his 2016 NC750X and it was a matter of plug and play. No fuses blown! My bike is a 2016 NC700X. Could it be then a case of reverse polarity? There are no marks on the horn to indicate + or - ..... I’m still puzzled. Daniel

Back