• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Give the Frunk (Front Trunk) LED

lamlamz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I think everyone agrees that the frunk is the most wonderful thing for the this bike. It is so useful that I cannot live without now...even at night. The only issue is if we can find a light source which can automatically lights up, incredibly thin and bright enough to let us see at night.
Here are some of the positions I am experimenting. let me know what you think...

Photo 2012-11-05 10 56 00 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 56 18 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 56 20 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 56 38 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 57 13 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 57 50 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 58 03 PM.jpgPhoto 2012-11-05 10 58 05 PM.jpg

Don't puck wid me!

BTW, I have found a single light in the lid to be fine. No need to see under your stuff and the direct light can be blinding at night vs. indirect light from above.

I thought about that. I am trying to find clearance as much as possible with paperclip-thin LED strips. I have tested with one helmet in - no problem.

With your setup you have to tilt your lid to light the frunk and whatever that's below.
My LEDs are actually arranged facing down and within the frunk itself so that it does not blind anybody. Plus I do not want to shine other when the lid is popup and have to constantly holding it in certain degrees to get the light in correct direction. One less thing to worry when you are in the dark searching for something.

Last edited:
I thought about that. I am trying to find clearance as much as possible with paperclip-thin LED strips. I have tested with one helmet in - no problem.

With your setup you have to tilt your lid to light the frunk and whatever that's below.
My LEDs are actually arranged facing down and within the frunk itself so that it does not blind anybody. Plus I do not want to shine other when the lid is popup and have to constantly holding it in certain degrees to get the light in correct direction. One less thing to worry when you are in the dark searching for something.

No, the beam from the license plate light that I used is not that directional. The light comes on at 45 degrees and lights the entire box. I just open the lid to the limit of the strap and dig away.

Lamlamz, I think you will become immortalised by coining the term "frunk", you will go down in NC700 history. This is equal to the KLR650 "Doohicky" terminology for the troublesome counter balancer adjuster. Your lights are brilliant in more ways than one, but I do like beemers location better and better yet I think it should be moved forward to allow it to shine down better. I think I will look for a battery powered LED stick on for the amount of time I would use the frunk in the dark. Thanks for the great ideas.

I do like beemers location better and better yet I think it should be moved forward to allow it to shine down better.

I moved it all around before settling where I did. This light was designed as a license plate light, so the main beam direction is down. Where it is mounted it shines straight down into the box.

OK, I beleive you, I guess I would find that out as I move the stick up back and forth to find the ideal spot to stick. Most likely when I need the light the battery will already be dead.

Yep. Wire it once and it is there forever (unless your mercury switch craps out too).

Lamlamz, I think you will become immortalised by coining the term "frunk", you will go down in NC700 history. This is equal to the KLR650 "Doohicky" terminology for the troublesome counter balancer adjuster. Your lights are brilliant in more ways than one, but I do like beemers location better and better yet I think it should be moved forward to allow it to shine down better. I think I will look for a battery powered LED stick on for the amount of time I would use the frunk in the dark. Thanks for the great ideas.

I still have my Doohicky... Hanging on my trucks rearview mirror....

No, the beam from the license plate light that I used is not that directional. The light comes on at 45 degrees and lights the entire box. I just open the lid to the limit of the strap and dig away.

Same here, plenty of light and out of the way.

Don't puck wid me!

BTW, I have found a single light in the lid to be fine. No need to see under your stuff and the direct light can be blinding at night vs. indirect light from above.

View attachment 1453

What the frelling??? [I couldn't help my scifi roots :) ]
+10, and what Beemerphile said. I am contemplating a similar lighting option for the frunk. Once its packed with stuff, lighting placed near the sidewalls or at the base is practically moot, so yeah, this is the deal that woudl work for me. Might even help me locate the ignition keyhole a tad easier :)

What the frelling??? [I couldn't help my scifi roots :) ]
+10, and what Beemerphile said. I am contemplating a similar lighting option for the frunk. Once its packed with stuff, lighting placed near the sidewalls or at the base is practically moot, so yeah, this is the deal that woudl work for me. Might even help me locate the ignition keyhole a tad easier :)

The LED is very thin and durable. I have tried loading it with helmet and stuff, no problem. Not sure what Beemerphile used for the light on the lid. If it is directional or adjustable LED it could be bulky and when your frunk is loaded, it might not be able to close properly. I like the idea though where you can light from the top the only thing is your stuff might be overcast by your own shadow.

Back