• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat Concepts *LOW* seat

quirken

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen numerous references to the low version of the Seat Concepts seat, but no first-hand experience or review. I'm actually relatively happy with the stock seat (have ridden for 2 hours straight without any sitting fatigue), but lowering the seat just a tad would save me from having to lower the whole bike.

So... how is their low version? Is it more comfortable than stock? About the same? Worth it?

Seat Concepts - Products

Can't speak to the 'Low' seat, but I've been generally very happy with the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat I put on this year. The change in the riding angle and the added width of the cushion have made a huge difference for me during longer rides.

That's the problem... people seem to like the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat, but I wonder what the impact of 3/4" less foam would be. Just speculating, do you think there'd be a noticeable difference between the two models?

Why do you say 'generally' very happy, though?

Thinking I'll give it a shot and place a custom order Monday... somebody needs to review the low variant :)

Last edited:
Should be closer to the OEM seat. The standard kit is significantly higher than the stock seat, so vertically challenged people don't like it. The shorter version should be fine for average people. Worth a try.

That's the problem... people seem to like the 'standard' Seat Concepts seat, but I wonder what the impact of 3/4" less foam would be. Just speculating, do you think there'd be a noticeable difference between the two models?

Why do you say 'generally' very happy, though?

Thinking I'll give it a shot and place a custom order Monday... somebody needs to review the low variant :)

I said generally because of a couple of small reasons. 1) The 'grain' of the provided vinyl covering does not travel in the same direction as the 'grain' on the stock passenger seat, and 2) Unless you are very careful with the placement of the provided foam while gluing it on the pan, it is very easy to wind up with the 'pointy' ends of the pan wearing a hole in the vinyl. You just need to be careful if you do your own install.

Should be closer to the OEM seat. The standard kit is significantly higher than the stock seat, so vertically challenged people don't like it. The shorter version should be fine for average people. Worth a try.

Similar height to stock, then? Hm. Might not be worth the trouble for me, then, as I haven't found a reason to complain about stock (yet anyhow).

Thanks bduffey! Those are really good tips to know.

If you have a short inseam, it is a lot cheaper to have your boot soles built up 1/2 inch than to buy a low seat. Take boots into any cobbler, and the boots are ready the next day.

I have a 32" inseam; I can flat foot at intersections IF I scoot forward. I'm typically comfortable enough balancing on my toes to not need that.

backing up is another story. I dropped my bike because I can barely even push from the very tip of my toes and just couldn't get traction. In some cases, I could get off my bike and walk it, but that's not always feasible.

maybe if a cobbler reworked the soles to be a little thickeo and with better traction, I'd be good... My boots have decent traction but on a wet surface, it feels like sliding on ice. Maybe with better grip and slightly thicker soles, I'd be good...

I'll look into a cobbler. thanks for the tip!

Here is a picture of my boot, showing how a shoe cobbler can add 1/2 inch in solid rubber and a 1/2 inch sole to your boot. This does help folks like me with a short inseam. Cost to add the extra 1/2 inch of solid rubber, 1/2 inch sole, and new heel is about $100.

boot 001.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one. I really like it. The foam is pretty thin but it's firmer than what they use on the standard seat so I haven't experienced any bottoming out on the seat pan. Mine has the standard upholstery, not the "gripper" variety. It's not the kind of seat you sit on and think, "wow." It's more that you ride and ride and ride and just don't think about it. That was what I was hoping for. The OEM seat was fine for me until I went over 50 miles and then it got progressively worse until it was just unbearable.

I don't know if others have this experience with it, but for me I noticed no difference over the OEM seat as far as flat footing goes. Even though the seat is lower than OEM, it's much flatter so when putting my feet down my legs end up spread a little further apart than before, effectively canceling out any benefit from the seat being lower, at least in terms of flat footing it. But the increased comfort was well worth the price for me. To flat foot the bike better I lowered it about an inch with Soupy's lowering links.

I have a standard height Seat Concepts seat on my NCX. Seat is great but the gripper cover is horrible - makes it hard to move around at all. Wish I had of opted for the optional "normal" cover.

I've got the original version... It seems to keep getting more comfortable with age. I think most good seats do. If you like the aftermarket seat you buy.. chances are you'll really like it in a year or so. Mine keeps getting better and better....

Having said that ... if I am going to ride more than 500 miles in a day I will take my airhawk cushion with me and swap it out every other gas stop... just gives your butt a different contact patch and keeps things from feeling like they have been settled in the same place for too long.

If you get an airhawk.... make sure you put in barely enough air to get your butt up off the seat. Too much air in an airhawk will not be a good experience either.... Most people have to learn that lesson the hard way... some get rid of their airhawks before the learn how well it rides properly inflated with minimal air. I actually like to bottom out on the seat on the edges when I lean hard into a corner.. it gives me the feeling of security feelling the solid seat, then when I sit back up, I'm completely back on that minimal cushion of air.

In the heat of the summer it's nice having a bit of airflow down there too... :D

Last edited:
In defense of Seat Concepts, although the "low" seat doesn't result in any change as far as reaching the ground for me, it is lower than their standard height NC seat, which reportedly is higher than OEM. And presumably there is a slight lowering of the center of gravity due to the rider's weight being centered slightly lower. But yeah, if you're looking for something to improve flat footing you'd probably be better off looking at lowering links and/or thicker soles/heels for boots, at least in my experience. There are at least a couple of others here who have the low seat though, and maybe they've had different experiences than I have, not sure.

Seat Concepts LOW version

I noticed one person said they had the low seat from SC and really liked it. Don’t remember when it was posted. I wanted to ask around and see if anyone else has it now and what your verdict on it is?

It’s likely gonna be my next addition. I knew after reading everyone’s input on the regular SC replacement that it would be too tall. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of major problems with the LOW SC version.

Thanks!

I’ve ridden a couple time for 30-45 minutes now on my seat concept low seat and I like it. It does eliminate most of the slope from the seat. It is firm, but not too firm. Maybe that means the foam will hold up better over a long period of time. I do wish I had my stock seat to compare side by side.

I too haven’t noticed any difference in being able to reach the ground any more. The seat is a bit wider on the rear end and provides a little more surface area. So your legs are a smidge further apart when your legs are down but I haven’t had any problems with that.

My only question about this seat is a little gap between the front of the seat and the plastic. It’s a quarter inch gap. I will attempt to get pictures on here to show. I’m going to e-mail seat concepts as well and make them aware. Does anyone know if this is normal? It seems to me that the foam is a bit short on the front of the seat pan.

All in all through, it’s a nice seat. Like mentioned before, it’s not awe inspiring when you ride on it, it just does a nice job at what it’s supposed to do. I’m eager to see how it handles longer rides.

Last edited:
Edit - I can’t get any pics to upload from my phone at the moment. It’s saying failed every time.[/QUOTE said:
I think there may be a limit on the pic size. Try editing your pic to make it smaller.

Yes, Hope SC addresses that! I went on a good long ride yesterday and need to order that seat to see if it will help stave off the pain.

Back