• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Home made rear rack with gas hole

Dennis M

Reaction score
Visit site
I started working on this almost 2 years ago after seeing a post on here about someone making something out of a plastic cutting board, but then I got sidetracked with other things and put it off. Then Dale came out with his racks and I thought about getting one but they were too much $ for me to justify and I didn't like how the gas hole was in the middle of the bend, maybe it works OK but to me it looks like it would be hard to reach in to get the gas cap off, also I tend to sit to the very rear of the seat and having that metal against my butt didn't look to comfortable.

So finally got around to working on what I had already started on, It's made of wood, a material I have the tools and knowledge to work with. I used scrap wood leftover from other projects. I did buy some angle brackets and spray paint but otherwise it was built using stuff I had on hand.

P1040546.jpg
Preliminary test fitting I realized it had a wobble side to side and was going to need some side supports on the under side. getting those figured out was probably the hardest part of this project.

P1040570.jpg
here you can see the side supports. I also chalked around all joints

P1040568.jpg
Filled the screw holes also.

P1040607.jpg

P1040602.jpg
Painted it black.

P1040617.jpg
P1040618.jpg
Got me one of those locking gas caps for a Ruckus, perfect fit.

P1040624.jpg
added some foam weather stripping to the bottoms of the side supports.

I didn't plan it , but it's the perfect size (10X15) for a 1 gallon Rotopax container.
There is no way to latch it down so for now I'm using a bungee cord running from side to side, I don't think it would come flying up while I was sitting down but if I was to stand on the pegs while riding the wind could catch it and flip it up.

Very inventive; that looks like an awesome perch for a RotoPax and a duffle bag, for an Adventure camping ride :cool:

With the vapor recovery nozzles we have it would be near impossible to see how full you're getting with those racks. Nice for people with regular style nozzles.

4005_1.jpg

With the vapor recovery nozzles we have it would be near impossible to see how full you're getting with those racks. Nice for people with regular style nozzles.

You need one of these:

E-Z Fill Nozzle Key :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

I have had one for about 8 years or so and have had to use it at least a dozen times. I notice that in New England lately there are fewer stations that feature the recovery nozzle like the one in your picture.

Last edited:
J
You need one of these:

E-Z Fill Nozzle Key :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

I have had one for about 8 years or so and have had to use it at least a dozen times. I notice that in New England lately there are fewer stations that feature the recovery nozzle like the one in your picture.
I have had a similar device since I had my Honda Pacific Coast in 2000. Very handy. But for the past year I have encountered less vapor recovery nozzles.

I started working on this almost 2 years ago after seeing a post on here about someone making something out of a plastic cutting board, but then I got sidetracked with other things and put it off. Then Dale came out with his racks and I thought about getting one but they were too much $ for me to justify and I didn't like how the gas hole was in the middle of the bend, maybe it works OK but to me it looks like it would be hard to reach in to get the gas cap off, also I tend to sit to the very rear of the seat and having that metal against my butt didn't look to comfortable.

So finally got around to working on what I had already started on, It's made of wood, a material I have the tools and knowledge to work with. I used scrap wood leftover from other projects. I did buy some angle brackets and spray paint but otherwise it was built using stuff I had on hand.

View attachment 27207
Preliminary test fitting I realized it had a wobble side to side and was going to need some side supports on the under side. getting those figured out was probably the hardest part of this project.

View attachment 27208
here you can see the side supports. I also chalked around all joints

View attachment 27209
Filled the screw holes also.

View attachment 27210

View attachment 27211
Painted it black.

View attachment 27212
View attachment 27213
Got me one of those locking gas caps for a Ruckus, perfect fit.

View attachment 27214
added some foam weather stripping to the bottoms of the side supports.

I didn't plan it , but it's the perfect size (10X15) for a 1 gallon Rotopax container.
There is no way to latch it down so for now I'm using a bungee cord running from side to side, I don't think it would come flying up while I was sitting down but if I was to stand on the pegs while riding the wind could catch it and flip it up.

Excellent work on your rack! I just installed one of Dale's racks with the filler hole and the gas cap is very easy to access. How I need to get a locking gas cap like yours.

I think about making one out of tubing but decided against as I didn't want to muscle in on Dales
and beside I don't think it would be my worth while to invest in some thing that may not sell well not over here anyway.

Back