• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x Vibration at 4000 rpm 'ish

I would describe it as more of a roughness than a vibration. Obviously this is also why a second balance shaft is incorporated into the 750. I find that it is most pronounced under heavy load but if the throttle is backed off a little under steady cruising it is not so noticeable.

Somewhere, a while back in this forum, there was a discussion about the NC's engine characteristics, and IIRC, the gist of it was that Honda purposely used a 270 degree offset crank to give the otherwise silky smooth engine, a more aggressive feel, like a larger displacement vee twin.
The 270 crank also allows much lower rpm shifting by lowering the torque curve to a useable level even at 2000 rpm.
This is how we manage to get almost 60-70 mpg while at lower rpm than most bikes.

I was one of my "gripes" when I first got the NC. I like it now. There's nothing wrong with it.
My Tenere (twice the engine) also has the 270 degree firing engine. Strangely, it is very smooth at 4K rpm's but has a good rumble/lope at idle.

I have a 2015 NC750X, even though it has the second balance shaft, I still feel the vibration around 3000- 4000 rpm, if you turn the throttle. If you are cruising at constant speed there is no vibration.

I just found this post but yes, I feel a slight vibration at 4000RPM on the dot regardless which gear I am in. Doesn't really bother me now. I feel like it's the sweet spot to change gear anyways.

It's weird to read this. I have the 750XD and can feel the power strokes from starting at 1100 under acceleration up to around 4,000 then it smooths out completely. Under a hard load you might feel it a little bit more. Comfort zone, 70-75 mph.

The bikes power curve and smooth zone remind me of my long gone R100RT. The faster you go the smoother it gets. I like that.

My 2016 has that vibration that starts at about that same rpm.
In 6th gear it starts at exactly 71 mph. At 70 it's pretty smooth but as soon as I hit 71 the vibration starts, in both the grips and the footpegs.
It also starts in each lower gear, but since I'm usually accelerating through traffic I don't risk looking down and trying to see what rpm the silly bar graph gauge is at.
I have gone into manual to see if it does it at the same rpms and yes, it does, I just can't remember the speed in 5th, 4th, or whatever.

I just picked up a 700x and new bike nerves had me googling the 4k vibration, hoping to find such a thread. Phew! ;)

It's weird to read this. I have the 750XD and can feel the power strokes from starting at 1100 under acceleration up to around 4,000 then it smooths out completely. Under a hard load you might feel it a little bit more. Comfort zone, 70-75 mph.

The bikes power curve and smooth zone remind me of my long gone R100RT. The faster you go the smoother it gets. I like that.

I have a 2018 DCT and have had the same results, I find myself speeding alot of the time because it gets so smooth.

Do your vibes start at a specific speed, like mine do (see post #11)?
At 71 mph I'm already speeding, so don't really know if it would smooth out if I went 90+. I'll have to check someday, if I ever come across a deserted freeway.

Do your vibes start at a specific speed, like mine do (see post #11)?
At 71 mph I'm already speeding, so don't really know if it would smooth out if I went 90+. I'll have to check someday, if I ever come across a deserted freeway.

Downshift. You can run higher RPM at a lower speed without worry of speeding.

JT

My '12 has 65,000 miles on it and it has always done that. No damage, just a characteristic of the engine.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Back