Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: VFR1200X vs NC700x

  1. #11
    Super Moderator VFR1200X vs NC700x 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc True View Post
    Rumor has it that they're bringing back the Deauville. I might consider moving off my NC for it, depending on how they do it

    Rumour: Honda is bringing back the Deauville - Adventure Rider
    The talk is that the new Deauville will be based off the Africa Twin engine? It will be interesting to see how shaft drive is added to that engine. If Honda thinks this new bike will have chain drive, forget it. I’d never buy a chain drive touring bike.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  2. #12
    Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wausau WI
    Posts
    1,831
    Back to those compromises we talk about so often when comes to those features we need, want or like:

    Lighter weight. (Just alittle)
    More power
    Shaft drive
    Better suspension
    Tubeless tire (just a little better)
    Better finishes, with better details,

    The end result

    $$,$$$

    Almost everyone likes ice cream, .......they sell chocolate and vanilla.........but they also offer soft serve and premium custard.
    Last edited by showkey; 20th August 2019 at 05:29.

  3. #13
    Super Moderator VFR1200X vs NC700x 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,045
    TG
    Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    Back to those compromises we talk about so often when comes to those features we need, want or like:

    Lighter weight. (Just alittle)
    More power
    Shaft drive
    Better suspension
    Tubeless tire (just a little better)
    Better finishes, with better details,

    The end result

    $$,$$$
    The final result: Model discontinued due to poor sales.

    People have a wish list for their ultimate machine, but they’re too tight when it comes to opening the wallets to actually buy it.
    Last edited by 670cc; 20th August 2019 at 06:55.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    736
    Regarding previously mentioned tire sizing on big ADV bikes: went by Southern Honda in Chattanooga today to see if I might could make a CB1000R work for my leg, but it's not gonna happen. While in there, I noticed an Aprilia ADV bike (used trade in). Caponord 1200. Had 170 rear and 120 front (17/19 rim sizes).

    Never even heard of this bike, but looked pretty cool.







    And the CB1000R just isn't going to work with highway peg setup. I mocked my leg up to see where it would land. The engine is too wide and the rider triangle is lesser than that of the NC. Rolled an NC up beside it for comparison. Back to the drawing board on that ideal.









    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Senior Member VFR1200X vs NC700x dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,955
    Keep looking and noodling over bikes. I'm sure you will find a resolution that works for you.

    It's just me but I wouldn't touch an Italian bike with a 10 foot pole, especially an orphaned low volume selling one like the Capo. I worked as a parts manager in a busy Honda/Triumph/Piaggio dealership. Piaggio owns Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, and Vespa. The Italians still have a ways to go in the arenas of reliability and durability and if that wasn't of enough concern, in supply chain support. We had owners waiting for weeks, sometimes months, for parts. It takes a really good parts guy to know the bikes well because they often change part suppliers in mid-production year and the different part numbers did not usually reference a supplier but the part interchangeability matters. A fork seal set for Marzocchi forks will not fit KYB or Kaifa forks and of them are used on the V-7s. I was not a really good parts guy, coming in with no experience in the brands, and usually I needed the experienced tech we had to tell me which parts to order. If he did not know we often got the wrong ones. Lots of character in the Italian bikes however and there were some devoted owners.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Keep looking and noodling over bikes. I'm sure you will find a resolution that works for you.

    It's just me but I wouldn't touch an Italian bike with a 10 foot pole, especially an orphaned low volume selling one like the Capo. I worked as a parts manager in a busy Honda/Triumph/Piaggio dealership. Piaggio owns Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, and Vespa. The Italians still have a ways to go in the arenas of reliability and durability and if that wasn't of enough concern, in supply chain support. We had owners waiting for weeks, sometimes months, for parts. It takes a really good parts guy to know the bikes well because they often change part suppliers in mid-production year and the different part numbers did not usually reference a supplier but the part interchangeability matters. A fork seal set for Marzocchi forks will not fit KYB or Kaifa forks and of them are used on the V-7s. I was not a really good parts guy, coming in with no experience in the brands, and usually I needed the experienced tech we had to tell me which parts to order. If he did not know we often got the wrong ones. Lots of character in the Italian bikes however and there were some devoted owners.
    I know what you mean, #1 priority for me is reliability. I want to ride, not wrench on, or fork out money for someone else to wrench on, my bike. That's the main thing keeping me from pursuing a Ducati Multistrada, don't feel like getting nickel and dimed to death over the course of ownership and dealing with expensive headaches. I'd much rather opt for a little less performance in exchange for superb reliability.

    Not to hijack the thread, but right now there are only 3 bikes on my short list of possible choices. Obviously the VFR1200X simply because of the DCT option and power. The Kawasaki Versys 1000, as there are a couple 2017 models somewhat local to me for around $8k. And the FJ-09. The FJ-09 really fits the bill on paper but the headshake issue worries me, as I crashed and lost my leg due to a violent tank slap (wasn't the bike's fault though). Some of the FJ-09's can be had for around the $6k mark, and if I had to install a GPR damper and rework the suspension, that would still be cheaper than the other options. Not to mention much lighter, the FJ-09 is lighter than the NC at like 462 lbs if I'm not mistaken....and has 115 hp. Solid numbers, on paper.

    The problem is that I have seen neither of the 3 bikes in person, I need to sit on, measure, mock up where a highway peg would go, etc to see if they would work for sure. Then of course there the issue of how do I shift the Versys or the FJ-09. That's a big deal in itself, and as much as I dislike the weight of the VFR1200X, spoke wheels, and the tire sizes, I wouldn't mind having one and keeping the NC too, then selling my Nomad. IDK, no perfect option exists for me right now. If the NC had the Africa Twin engine in it, it would be darn near perfect!

  7. #17
    Senior Member VFR1200X vs NC700x dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I know what you mean, #1 priority for me is reliability. I want to ride, not wrench on, or fork out money for someone else to wrench on, my bike. That's the main thing keeping me from pursuing a Ducati Multistrada, don't feel like getting nickel and dimed to death over the course of ownership and dealing with expensive headaches. I'd much rather opt for a little less performance in exchange for superb reliability.

    Not to hijack the thread, but right now there are only 3 bikes on my short list of possible choices. Obviously the VFR1200X simply because of the DCT option and power. The Kawasaki Versys 1000, as there are a couple 2017 models somewhat local to me for around $8k. And the FJ-09. The FJ-09 really fits the bill on paper but the headshake issue worries me, as I crashed and lost my leg due to a violent tank slap (wasn't the bike's fault though). Some of the FJ-09's can be had for around the $6k mark, and if I had to install a GPR damper and rework the suspension, that would still be cheaper than the other options. Not to mention much lighter, the FJ-09 is lighter than the NC at like 462 lbs if I'm not mistaken....and has 115 hp. Solid numbers, on paper.

    The problem is that I have seen neither of the 3 bikes in person, I need to sit on, measure, mock up where a highway peg would go, etc to see if they would work for sure. Then of course there the issue of how do I shift the Versys or the FJ-09. That's a big deal in itself, and as much as I dislike the weight of the VFR1200X, spoke wheels, and the tire sizes, I wouldn't mind having one and keeping the NC too, then selling my Nomad. IDK, no perfect option exists for me right now. If the NC had the Africa Twin engine in it, it would be darn near perfect!
    I think a lot of us would like a NC1000X or a 19/17" wheeled Africa Twin!
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I think a lot of us would like a NC1000X or a 19/17" wheeled Africa Twin!
    You'd think that niche would be easily seen by Honda and they'd give us what we want! LOL.

    The NC's chassis is built plenty good enough to handle more power, upgraded with some 43mm inverted forks, and better rear shock, what a fun unit that would be!

  9. #19
    Senior Member VFR1200X vs NC700x davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Posts
    1,952
    Hey Tacoma: have you thought about upgrading to the africa twin...it comes in dct, and you can get crash bars and add a highway peg....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    Hey Tacoma: have you thought about upgrading to the africa twin...it comes in dct, and you can get crash bars and add a highway peg....
    Yes, but the wheel sizes for it are even worse at 18/21. And the front tire is only 90 mm wide! Yuck! Like running a bicycle tire lol. Cant really mess with the wheel and tire sizes either due to the dct.

    With that said, there is a video on facebook of some guy local to Nurburgring doing a lap on an open track day and he was hauling some major *** on an Africa Twin. But that track is different than ones I would ride here. Nurburgring is full of long fast sweepers.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 21st August 2019 at 10:26.

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Honda NC700X For Sale (or Trade for NC700X DCT)
    By greginauguasta in forum Sell your Bike / Car / Truck
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd June 2017, 11:18
  2. Dealer has a VFR1200X
    By MZ5 in forum Non NC700 Motorcycle Section
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 6th May 2016, 07:10
  3. Honda VFR1200X
    By Cigar Mike in forum Non NC700 Motorcycle Section
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 7th December 2015, 07:18
  4. Honda 2016 VFR1200X Coming to the US!
    By belrix in forum Non NC700 Motorcycle Section
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 25th October 2015, 14:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •