Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pondering a bigger bike

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct

Pondering a bigger bike

My NC actually is plenty of bike for me, but the purpose of riding is pleasure, so rationality is not that important.

Bikes I like:

Indian Springfield. So comfortable and powerful! Handles very well for such a heavy bike.

HD Heritage Classic. Upgraded in every way. Looks great.

Versys 1000. Fantastic and comfortable sport tourer, much lighter than most of its competition. Pillion seat and position are excellent.

Africa Twin. Basically an NC with better parts and more power.

My other bike right now is a Suzuki 400 supermoto, which is a totally different riding experience. I will probably keep it no matter what else I buy, though the Zero supermoto is amazing.

I wonder if Honda will redo the 1300. And then on 10/24 they apparently will announce a DCT Goldwing. They also have a patent for a four cylinder hybrid engine.
    Last edited by Hank; 19th October 2017 at 15:10.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member Pondering a bigger bike StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Random thoughts on NC and bigger bike:

I was able to acquire a bigger bike.... used and a good price.... and I understand why you might want one.
    Still, the NC is my favorite ride even though I won't be getting rid of the FJR1300 ($4300 with 35K miles) anytime soon.

bigger bike: smoother ride, shaft drive, fast as all get out, poor gas mileage (46mpg), adjustable windscreen

smaller bike: nimble ride, easier engine access, great gas MPG, fixed windscreen

Next Spring's cross country ride will be on the FJR.... for the sake of the smoother ride.. but it won't be as comfortable as the NC until I can add: heated seat, highway pegs, heated grips.

If I absolutely HAD to part with one, then the FJR would go.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member Pondering a bigger bike davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Yea, those Indians are sweet. Last month the local motorcycle shop (C&C Powersports in Clarksville Indiana) had the Indian demo truck for the weekend. I got off work early on the Friday and went and test rode all their bikes. I absolutely fell in love with the Indian Chieftain Classic (red of course). Oh my god,, those Indian motors really don't care what gear you are in: doing 30mph in 6th gear and twist the throttle and boom, gone like a bat at of hades, no bog down what so ever. However, the only way I could justify that price is to win a big lottery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Pondering a bigger bike FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    If it was available in this country I'd be looking long and hard at the Triumph Sport SE 1050, (Ride Apart review, MCN report, Visor Down report.

Pondering a bigger bike-triumphts1050-web-jpg

As it isn't, if I was looking for a bigger tourer here in the US I'd be doing comparo rides between the VFR1200X and the Triumph Trophy SE ABS. Of course if it isn't obvious already, being a Brit abroad I still have a hankering for a Brit brand like Triumph. That 1050 would be on my driveway pending availability and Triumph having similar reliability to Honda!! There's the rub though, they don't.

When I attended the MSTA meeting, I rode all day Saturday with a small group and one gentleman had a Triumph. He's had a string of them and really likes them. But he was also quick to admit that they see more of the dealership for issues than he would really like. I believe he had a tight connection with his local dealer (could have been family, not sure) it wasn't that big of a deal for him obviously as he still rode one and his last few bikes were all Triumph. He was easily able to name quite a long list of fixes he's needed over the last couple of years though. And for me, I ride to commute then for enjoyment so reliability is way up near the top of the list. Bike downtime needs to be measured in a few days per year max, and those are almost always at my convenience (during vacation time for example).
    --
    Fez

Bike: X-Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, 1989 Honda Dominator
    I have a bigger bike. It is a Triumph 1200 Explorer. Great bike and one of my top ten favourites. However it is not the one that gets used every day. The reason is that it is simply too heavy to be hauled out of its berth on a daily basis. That for me at this stage of my life is its only downside. As such it is kept for long weekends or holiday trips to Europe and the like. I will eventually have to part with it because of its weight but hopefully not too soon as it is a delight to ride.

My NC variant ( X-Adv) is the one that gets used daily. It is considerably lighter than the Triumph and indeed carries its weight much better also. My overall tendency nowadays though is towards lighter bikes. They are lots of fun to ride and especially when mixing it with more powerful bikes on twisty roads. For two up though it is hard to beat a big motor for easy passing power.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Bike: 2014 NC750x
    Nothing wrong with adding another bike to the stable!

I fell in love with a used bike in my LBS last time I was in... 2013 Victory Cross Roads Classic. ABS, cruise control, seat like a lay-z-boy. I know nothing about this bike and not in the market for another bike right now, but it sure is nice to dream.
    Pondering a bigger bike-cross-roads-classic-jpg
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Bike: 2014 nc700x
    A bigger bike for me would be the BMW S1000XR. So much beauty and power. I loved my s1000RR crotch rocket. The XR will most likey be my next buy.
    [/URL]

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Interesting replies.
    The bike that has surprised me the most is the Indian. The build quality, power, and suspension were all excellent.
    I don’t know about living with a bike that heavy.
    I kind of feel like every motorcyclist ought to have a big bike or a Harley once.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member Pondering a bigger bike StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Shaft drive was more important than big, but you can't get shafts drive without going big.

I still dream of the BMW Pirsig wrote about in "Zen and the Art...",

Bike: NC700X
    I mentioned taking a demo ride of a Yamaha FJ-09 at AIMExpo last month. Well, Yamaha seems to have some sales incentive going on with those bikes right now and the out the door price of a 2017 dropped over $2k from what it had been earlier in the year. I took a highway test ride at an Orland dealer two weeks ago and found the bike to be quite smooth in the 75 - 85 MPH range and bought one. I have no idea what the trade in value would have been on the NC, because I'm keeping it. It wasn't cutting it as a long distance touring bike, but with the frunk, good gas mileage, low maintenance and the mellow character of the big twin it great for running errands and running around the area.

FJ the day it came home:

Pondering a bigger bike-fj_09b-jpg

As of today it has a Puig touring windshield & Sargent seat. May get new handlebars this weekend.