Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Super Moderator 2018 Goldwing DCT 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
    This is probably the wrong thread to post this in, but I wonder why Honda isn’t offering DCT in some of the smaller displacement bikes to attract new riders? I would guess that learning to use the clutch and gears is a big barrier for many new riders who might otherwise take up motorcycling. Do any other manufacturers offer motorcycles with automatic transmissions or is Honda the only one?
    During my opinion survey interview session with a Honda rep at their WingDing booth, there was discussion about smaller bikes and my wife’s 250 scooter and why she has it, and new riders, etc, etc. I was asked if I thought automatic transmissions in small motorcycles would be advantageous for attracting new riders to the sport. Of course, I answered, “yes.”

I’m sure Honda has done homework, and the obvious conclusion has to be that DCT or CVT belongs as an option in entry level motorcycles. CVT automatics already dominate the scooter market. In my opinion though, automatic DCTs would be expensive to build in the very cost competetive realm of small motorcycles. But, I won’t be surprised if we see one soon. Then the public can vote with their wallets.
    Last edited by 670cc; 4th September 2018 at 15:22.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: X-Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, 1989 Honda Dominator
    Quote Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
    This is probably the wrong thread to post this in, but I wonder why Honda isnít offering DCT in some of the smaller displacement bikes to attract new riders? I would guess that learning to use the clutch and gears is a big barrier for many new riders who might otherwise take up motorcycling. Do any other manufacturers offer motorcycles with automatic transmissions or is Honda the only one?
    Very good point. As I am the wrong side of 65 and leaning more and more towards lighter bikes I have my eye on one bike in particular and that is the CB500X. I am also now a confirmed fan of DCT and a CB500X with DCT would be almost perfect. Anyone got views on this ?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member 2018 Goldwing DCT Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Very good point. As I am the wrong side of 65 and leaning more and more towards lighter bikes I have my eye on one bike in particular and that is the CB500X. I am also now a confirmed fan of DCT and a CB500X with DCT would be almost perfect. Anyone got views on this ?
    Plus +1 Griff. You took the same words outta my mouth. Aging (66 & still counting) caused loss of muscle mass is causing me to consider a lighter bike to continue my ability to lift and right a dropped bike when riding alone off pavement. Not wanting to be in the situation of an upside down turtle, my eyes are wandering from my NCí. A lighter DCT bike would quickly catch my attention.

2018 Goldwing DCT-2bf7f301-df1d-4a8d-ba5b-a644ec6e1ea9-jpg

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    While the CB500X is slightly lighter than the NC products, and with a bit more user friendly ergos, I think it is too similar to the NC7*0X to bother making an automatic version. The CB300 engine would be a better candidate, IMO, so as to spread the automatic option out from the smallest to the largest bikes in Honda’s lineup.

I talked with another Honda rep at the WingDing show, and we were briefly on the subject of, oddly enough, Rally Raid CB500Xs. I mentioned that I had difficulty fiinding used CB500Xs for sale. He commented that, (in the US) the CB500X was not a big seller. Still, you have three other models in the lineup using the 500 engine.
    Last edited by 670cc; 4th September 2018 at 04:41.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

Senior Member 2018 Goldwing DCT
    2018 Goldwing DCT
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    While the CB500X is slightly lighter than the NC products, and with a bit more user friendly ergos, I think it is too similar to the NC7*0X to bother making an automatic version. The CB300 engine would be a better candidate, IMO, so as to spread the automatic option out from the smallest to the largest bikes in Honda’s lineup.

I talked with another Honda rep at the WingDing show, and we were briefly on the subject of, oddly enough, Rally Raid CB500Xs. I mentioned that I had difficulty fiinding used CB500Xs for sale. He commented that, (in the US) the CB500X was not a big seller. Still, you have three other models in the lineup using the 500 engine.
    I’ve often wondered about that; how dealers inadvertently influence sales or lack there of by what they choose to stock. Dealers aren’t excited about a new model - for whatever reason, choose not to stock it, or sell the one and never restock it, and few people ever get to see it. Fewer still actually get to own one. End result, the bike is a “non-seller” and gets dropped by the manufacturer. A lot of dealers are multi-brand and have limited space and resources so they have to pick and choose, but it’s frustrating for the enthusiast or new customers to see what’s really available.

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post

I had a run on the Rally Raid (fully kitted) 500 and initially wasn't impressed with it offroad or on. It felt like what it was, a bike designed with lower suspension that was raised above its station, thereby having a top heavy feel to it. I regret not trying the other available Rally Raid model with simply better suspension . However the CB remains strong in my focus for the future.

Bike: NC700X
    Many states in the US require people to pass the course given by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation is always given using motorcycles with manual transmissions. If you can't ride a bike with a clutch, you don't get a motorcycle endorsement. There is no question in my mind that a new rider, in traffic, is better off with a bike that they don't have to think about shifting so that they can maintain better situational awareness.

For the 2019 model year, the GL1800 keeps the same dark red and dark blue color choices, but drops the white choice and replaces it with black. For me, that’s another nail in the coffin for the new 1800. If you want white, get a 2018 now. If you were waiting for black, rejoice.

Bring back Hot Rod Yellow!
    Last edited by 670cc; 8th September 2018 at 04:54.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

For the first time yesterday I carried my Wife on my DCT equipped X-Adv. Over the years I have become very good at smooth gear changes and riding smoothly when carrying Her especially because of Her bad back. Yesterday it became clear that riding at normal pillion pace, for smoothness of gearchange I could not compete with DCT. That would depend on the Bike to some degree and our current two up bike is a VStrom L6 1000 ABS. Its fuelling can be a little abrupt at times and the Honda has it beaten slightly also in that regard. My Wife still prefers the Suzuki for leg ergos and protection, and She was a little more exposed on the back of the X. However when the time comes to change our two up bike in the future, whatever we get will have to include DCT !

Supporting Vendor 2018 Goldwing DCT
    2018 Goldwing DCT
    Bike: tracer 700
    haven't you considered the 'S' model griff .
    smaller and easier to ride than the x model.
    once I'm done with my 900 that'll be my next bike.
    just like the DCT and the frunk. by that time I'll be 70.
    Last edited by johnakay; 13th September 2018 at 13:21.
    If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
    working with the mentally retarded I would
    have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership