Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multistrada Fever

Bike: NC700X DCT, Zero SR
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I'm gonna have that embroidered on my wallet for when I drift too close to the BMW dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Speaking of BMWs - here is their answer to the Multistrada in a new color for '17, Ocean Blue - I want it!

I test-rode one a few months ago and I can't get it out of my head. The geometry and weight of the bike is almost identical to the NC so it felt very familiar - except for having 3x the power and all the electronic bells and whistles that a man could ever want. The BMW dealership is less than a mile from my house and the S1000XR is pulling at me like a magnet. Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
    Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.
    Let me know how that goes. I've been practicing in front of a mirror, and I'm thinking of adding a PowerPoint with a few charts and graphs. Multistrada Fever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
    Speaking of BMWs - here is their answer to the Multistrada in a new color for '17, Ocean Blue - I want it!

I test-rode one a few months ago and I can't get it out of my head. The geometry and weight of the bike is almost identical to the NC so it felt very familiar - except for having 3x the power and all the electronic bells and whistles that a man could ever want. The BMW dealership is less than a mile from my house and the S1000XR is pulling at me like a magnet. Now, all I have to do is convince my wife that all the modern safety features on this bike make it a mandatory buy...mind you, i'm only being practical.
    Just a note of caution. It has a serious high frequency vibration problem at normal cruising speeds in top gear through the handlebars. Not as obvious on a short test run but a real nuisance on long spins at steady speeds. It is otherwise a fantastic motorcycle. I suggest checking the fixes if any for this problem or checking if it has been sorted on the newer models.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Multistrada Fever GunNut37086's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    When I win the Powerball...

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)

Bike: NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    I have a friend who is a Ducatista and lives in PA. He told me he has to have two Ducs because one is always in the shop!
    Good job that rule doesn't apply to women.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    My two motorcycles keep me busy and happy enough to not seriously think about shopping for yet another ; }

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Bike: NC700X DCT, Zero SR
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Just a note of caution. It has a serious high frequency vibration problem at normal cruising speeds in top gear through the handlebars. Not as obvious on a short test run but a real nuisance on long spins at steady speeds. It is otherwise a fantastic motorcycle. I suggest checking the fixes if any for this problem or checking if it has been sorted on the newer models.
    Yes, I was aware of the vibe problem and I made sure to spend a good amount of time on the highway during my 1 hour + test-ride. I definitely felt the vibrations but I have since spent quite a bit of time on the XR forum and it seems that the vibes diminish as you put some miles on the bike. That, and adding heavier bar-end weights seem to make it a non-issue. Also, BMW is aware of the problem and the 2017 model addresses it. This is from a RideApart article:

The XR also climbs to 165 hp, and a payload increase of 24 lbs. The 2016 color options are joined by the new Ocean Blue metallic matt. The sporting adventurer also gets the anti-vibe bar, with “softer isolating elements on the handlebars that effectively prevent even the finest vibrations from being passed onto the handlebar ends.” (An improvement over previous models, then. We look forward to test riding it –Ed.)

I look forward to test-riding it too! My dealer is going to call me when the first '17 model hits the showroom floor. Ah, the flesh is weak.

Senior Member Multistrada Fever
    Multistrada Fever
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Having fun on a motorcycle is not about having the most powerful, fastest bike on the planet. I'd venture a guess that most riders - even longtime sport bike riders - can barely use 50% of the potential of their bikes. And too much throttle in the wrong situation can put you down in an millisecond!

Bike: 2015 NC700XD
    I hear you - i live near A&S in Roseville and i have to (have to i tell you !!!) ride past the dealership and try not to look - i too heard the 17 will address the vibration - im trying my hardest not to test ride it or it will be all over ! :-)
    on topic - i did want to test ride the Duc multistrada at the same dealership but all they had free was a diavel and i didnt like the foot forward position

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    Having fun on a motorcycle is not about having the most powerful, fastest bike on the planet. I'd venture a guess that most riders - even longtime sport bike riders - can barely use 50% of the potential of their bikes. And too much throttle in the wrong situation can put you down in an millisecond!
    It took me many years to figure that one out, but nowadays I couldn't agree more. When I had my NC I used to get a huge buzz sitting on the tails of bikes that were much more powerful, on backroads.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.