Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The NC700X ride, What's it like?

Bike: None

The NC700X ride, What's it like?

I'm wondering what the NC700X rides like. Is it easy on the back parts? I have a problem back. My last bike was a Wide Glide Harley and it was tough on the back. I'm 63 and the back is paying me back now for misusing it!! The smoothest bike I ever road was a Honda ST1100. That was pure pleasure to ride at any distance. Can I get some exprenced riders of this bike to clue me into its ride. Is it fifteen minutes and you got to get off for a thirty minute rest!!! Is your body all rattled to death after riding it?
    Thanks for any help
    Adrian

Senior Member The NC700X ride, What's it like? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I have a ST1300 in the garage that I've put 138,xxx miles on. I got my NC two years and 26,xxx miles ago. The last two Iron Butt rides I did, a Saddle Sore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500 I did on the NC700X. The first year I owned the 700 I took it on tour for 16 days, 8 of which on one trip of about 3500 miles. The riding position is very comfy for me.... I have stock ergos but did install a larger windshield and hand guards to get better wind protection. My riding is nothing compared to OCR on this forum. He's seemingly always out cross country on his 700 and Strat Tuner just did a coast to coast to coast putt on his 700.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Thank you Dave, that is helpfull. I just don't want to buy and later wish I hadn't bought. I read some stuff last night on this site of trips some of the folks here have taken. None of them complained of body pains and that was a good sign. I'm a Honda fan. I started out on a Honda 50 Super Sport in 1966. $200.00

Senior Member The NC700X ride, What's it like? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I'll add most people complain loudly about the seat and many quickly massage it with aftermarket redos or replace it. I'm ok with it after raising the front to flatten the seating area but I'm in the minority.

Everyone is different and not everyone gets on well with the NC after buying but that's with any bike. Sometimes you just got to take the risk. I put a deposit on one as soon as Honda announced it was coming to the US and waited a couple months to get it. The first time I rode it was out of the dealer's lot. It's worked out for me and I hope the same for you.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member The NC700X ride, What's it like? Lou Wambsganss's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 1979 GL1000
    I came off a GL1000 (1st gen Goldwing), and I find the NC700x much more comfortable for longer trips. I think that on the GL, I was actually sitting too upright, which sent any little bumps directly up my spine. The slight lean forward on the NC is enough to alleviate this. It seems like most NC owners (myself included) find the stock seat uncomfortable and do the slope mod or upgrade to aftermarket. There are many threads on this forum about the seat.

10 4 on the seat. The seat don't look to bad. That Harley I had, had a seat full of buttons and was narrow. The first summer I replaced that right off. Bought a used one and it made all the difference but I never could ride that machine for no more than a hour without resting. I loved riding it though, did it for twelve years with only a couple minor repairs to it. I know this bike won't be like the ST I owned or the one you got, just hope I don't have to be in traction after a day of riding!!! LOL

Thanks Lou. I will check out the seat reviews if I get this bike and don't like the seat. It won't take long in the summer heat to find out. That ST I had, you rode with a lean to it as you are stating and that was probably why it was fine. It only had one way to sit and it was right on. That Harley I had, you could change positions in many ways and you needed all of them! At least I did.

Senior Member The NC700X ride, What's it like? Cyclerosis's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2014 Concours14
    That Harley I had, you could change positions in many ways and you needed all of them! At least I did.
    Having had a few cruisers, and being a frequent rider of my s/o's Yamaha V Star, I can relate to the discomfort after an hours ride. Forward pegs put too much weight on the tail bone (coccyx?). That discomfort is not present on the NCX and a brief period of standing on the pegs during multi hour rides will usually be enough to bring relief.

Senior Member The NC700X ride, What's it like? itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Hey Adrian, welcome to the site. You're not too much older than I am (58). I bought the NC as my first bike in 32 years. I couldn't be happier. I'm 6'2" and did the seat slope change (it's real easy). That helped a lot but I still want to do the Rox 2" risers for the handle bars.
    Even as it is, I rode 2,300 miles in about a week in late may (did the Dragon from Louisiana and back). \

I really like it.

The NC700X ride, What's it like?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclerosis View Post
    Having had a few cruisers, and being a frequent rider of my s/o's Yamaha V Star, I can relate to the discomfort after an hours ride. Forward pegs put too much weight on the tail bone (coccyx?). That discomfort is not present on the NCX and a brief period of standing on the pegs during multi hour rides will usually be enough to bring relief.
    Thanks Cyclerosis for your input. The ride generally makes what pain there is all worth it.