Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: How?

Senior Member How?
    How?
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT

How?

So my dealer tells me he should have my 700 DCT in any day now. But none of the sales staff seems real solid on how to operate the bike. I guess they don't have much experience with the DCT.

I recently traded in a 650 Suzuki Burgman with its CVT-style transmission. Does the 700 have a setting that is equal to the Suzuki in that initially I can just twice the throtle and go, not worrying about any shifting up or down until I can get more familiar with the bike?

Thanks

Bill

Bike: NC700X manual
    It has a 'D' drive mode and an 'S' sport mode which are hop on and twist the throttle......after releasing the parking brake. Then when you get home you can read the manual for the full details.

Previous: Kawasaki MT1A 75 (small fat tires, auto clutch), CB400 (Hawk), and after a 20+ year hiatus a NC700X

Senior Member How?
    How?
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    TKS, Bamamate. I assume the 'S' mode just jacks the RPM's a bit higher for each gear? Is that something I want to do on a new bike, or is running it up to redline once and a while when it's new a good thing on this type of machine?

Bike: cbr600, NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by bduffey View Post
    TKS, Bamamate. I assume the 'S' mode just jacks the RPM's a bit higher for each gear? Is that something I want to do on a new bike, or is running it up to redline once and a while when it's new a good thing on this type of machine?
    This is a "which oil is better" type question. Everyone has their opinion and it ends with a big fight.
    I get 63 MPG, what do you get? Speeding tickets?
    I pack to camp but stay in a hotel because I have no idea what I'm doing...

instagram.com/J_in_the_va

on two wheels

Bike: NC700X
    Get on bike, twist throttle, and Ride! That is all that really matters.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Typical dealer, with little knowledge of the products they sell . I hope they didn't make much on the sale.

The manual describes the operation of the DCT. But you will release the parking brake by the left handgrip, then on the right side switchgear press the D/S button once. The display will indicate D. Then twist the throttle and ride off. The tranny will keep the bike in the usable rev range automatically. You wont be able to kill it or redline it. When you're done you can press the button for neutral, turn key off, put stand down, pull parking brake lever.

S mode is reached by pressing the D/S button a second time. Shift points will be higher. You can ride this bike any way you want to. It won't hurt it.

PS, I don't even have a DCT but on the demo rides it just took a minute to get used to it.

Greg
    Last edited by 670cc; 16th November 2013 at 07:08.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Two more options.
    One: A lever on back side of right grip puts the DCT in manual mode and you shift with the paddle shifters. Still won't let you get out of rev limits and will not let you stall.

Two: Paddle shifters can be used any time to overide automatic again as long as you don't try to get outside rev limits. For exmaple minimum revs in S mode are around 3000 and paddle shifter won't go into 6th gear till over 55 mph but in D mode will allow revs down to 2000 and less than 40 mph for 6th gear. I use the paddle frequently to force down shift for engine braking or when I want to pass. Other than that pretty much let the computer control gear for me.

As stated above make sure you use parking brake especially if not on flat ground. Switch to neutral before turning off engine as a few got caught with low battery that would not switch to neutral when turning on and they could not start bike.

I am very happy with mine after 8400 miles.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: NC700x DCT in white
    Don't worry X DCT must be the easiest bike to get the hang of. Enjoy