Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some rookie questions

Senior Member Some rookie questions maxwellian's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x
    On dual sport helmets. The peak that shades your eyes is better for rough terrain than tinted glasses/shield/goggles alone. Lets you see more detail in the shadows, less glare. Also, you can pull the shield and use goggles, better for dusty conditions. I've only worn a peaked helmet offroad on a bicycle, but i'd think they'd be not great at 100k+ speeds. I'm not the best person to ask, but since no one had chimed in on that point, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents.

I don't find field-of-view to be an issue at all on my helmet, and I'm used to lane-splitting on a bicycle. The only real restriction is vertical, so maybe an issue on slow technical offroading, watching out for tree-branches, etc. not at all an issue on the road.

Bike: NC750XD
    Thanks for the comments. I have another question regarding crash bars.

So far I've only come across two different types. Honda seems to have these as a standard accessory, but I see the SW-Motech ones are also available here. Which are better and why? Also, which might be better to mount additional spot lights on?

Bike: NC700X
    Givi has engine guards also. Not to protect your legs as some folks for some reason think. Purpose is to protect the engine.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Some rookie questions happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    Givi has engine guards also. Not to protect your legs as some folks for some reason think. Purpose is to protect the engine.
    Some engine guards are actually injuring the rider when they crash and if they were badly made of poor quality metal, then can in fact pierce the rider in a crash.

Best "guard" is to have a sound piece of working human part inside your helmet.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    Protection? I thought they were ruggedized mounting points for lights, highway pegs, and the like....

Bike: NC750XD
    What's the benefit (if any) of having "wave-style" disc brakes? The specifications always seem to mention it but I've yet to read anything about why they are better or worse than a standard disc. Anyone?

Senior Member Some rookie questions Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Better heat dissipation.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Senior Member Some rookie questions StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    It looks like he's already going that way, but I have to give a plug for the GMAX 54s helmet. The internal dark visor will slide down a variable amount. This is useful when I want to look down at the gps through my bi-focals (I am 50) with NO tinted visor, and then look up at the road WITH the tinted visor.

Some helmets (BILT) employ a mechanism that is either all the way up or down with nothing in the middle.

The GMAX 54s has a removable liner made of coolmax fabric. I can disassemble all the internal pads and wash them.
    I can remove the visor with no tools to clean it.

GMAX also sells that wireless unit that syncs the helmets battery operated rear light (two AAA) withe the motorcycle brake light. That was a fun project. I'd recommend rechargeable batteries for this. I recharge mine about every two weeks, and they are on and working only when you turn them on. That helps.

For those of us with glasses, the flip up "modular" helmets are the ONLY way to go, I would say.
    cheers,
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson