Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lane-splitting, is this allowed?

Bike: now: V-Strom650; sold :NC700s DCT
    also illegal in Hungary.Allowed only going forward between the lanes when the traffic light is red and/or the vehicles dont move. But the practice is different, everyone use lane splitting almost all the time. In case of accident except from the above circumstances the biker is responsible. But I've never heared anyone being charged of lane splitting. Of course, it is dangerous especially at high speeds.
    Watch this on youtube a completely idiot biker

Senior Member Lane-splitting, is this allowed?
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    Illegal in indiana. No helmet law here either
    2014 Honda GROM
    2013 Honda CBR600RR
    2013 Honda CRF250L
    2012 Honda NC700X

states visited on a bike

states visited on the NC

Bike: NC700XC
    I found this extremely interesting

How and Why Motorcycle Lane Splitting is Safe and Good - RideApart - YouTube

I would be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on the above video.

Here are California Highway Patrol lane splitting guidelines

1) Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.

2) It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases.

3) Typically, it is safer to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.

4) Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.

5) Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

The Four R's or “Be-Attitudes” of Lane Splitting:

Be Reasonable, be Responsible, be Respectful, be aware of all Roadway and traffic conditions.
    When ignorance is bliss, to be wise is folly.

Senior Member Lane-splitting, is this allowed? draco_1967's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I am originally from California, and I liked the idea of lane splitting. I didn't ride while I was there, bit it would sire beat crawling along in a cage at 20mph for 2 hours. I saw many bikes every day splitting without anyone dying (or any collisions for that matter). I would love to se it legalized nation-wide, but it would take a bigger miracle than what is needed to pass a budget so...:banghead:

Bike: NC700XC
    What I find most absurd are the states that do not allow lane splitting but also do not require that you wear a helmet, obviously rider safety is not their concern.
    When ignorance is bliss, to be wise is folly.

Senior Member Lane-splitting, is this allowed? happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Lane splitting at low speeds is not the same as lane splitting at high speeds.
    Most countries which allow lane splitting, are referring to lane splitting at low speeds.

High speed lane splitting is just not a clever thing. Any small movement of an errant driver will instantly ricochett you off and kill you instantly. Of course every biker thinks that they are the Ghost-rider, so they do what they do until they become a real Ghostrider.

Take care.
    The roads are not yours alone.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Bike: NC 700X
    Illegal in Alabama as well.

Bike: Honda NC700x
    I believe California is the only state lane splitting is legal... All other states, no!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Prohibited in Arizona. Twas considered in recent years to change the law to allow it for motorcycles, but the Governor wouldn't go for it. I have seen a few riders here do what some of us call 'filtering.' That's when a rider moves between lines of stopped cars to get straight to the front of the line/light. That's still prohibited, but again I've seen a few riders do it.

Senior Member Lane-splitting, is this allowed? Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Filtering is an every day event in the UK and I think 99.9% of riders do it. I t also happens on motorways when traffic has come to a stand or is moving at a crawl an all too common event on motorways such as the M25
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere