Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I've been on the ground and all the gear saved my skin, my jaw and a few other body parts. I'm ATGATT even if I'm just riding around the block. Blue jeans will disintegrate in the first few feet of a slide. Then its your skin vrs. the asphalt. Guess who wins. As another fellow says...its an asphalt belt sander you are riding on.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)
    Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)
    Bike: 2012 NC700X; 2005 GL1800A
    Thanks Happy! Great discussion topic! I agree with everyone. Different scenarios require different decisions. Ride where its safest and you have the greatest ability to react to the unexpected. As a good friend once said, "Ride like you are invisible and there is a price on your head."

Quote Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
    As another fellow says...its an asphalt belt sander you are riding on.
    My brother calls asphalt "instant tattoo remover". He has lots of tattoos - and a BMW.
    IBA: 64008
    Best Mileage: 80.9 mpg; Worst Mileage: 51.4 mpg; Average Fun: 10/10

Check out the: Pacific Northwest Riders Group join The Down to Earth Club if you have qualified.
    "I don't care what the weather is, when I can ride I will ride - there plain and simple." - OCR
    Contingit ergo stercore configes tua cursoriam

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) Akar.Zaephyr's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700SDE
    At my theory part of motorcycle DL course, en ex-cop was our trainee. He's been the sort of highway cop so he's been to bike accidents a lot, plenty of stories
    He told us of a weird issue where witnesses said a motorcycle driver was just driving straight, then fallen down, nothing happened, he just felt from the bike.
    Turns out the guy was doing 80km/h - 49mph with his full-face helmet on, and the shield opened. Somehow a bug hit him right in the eye (despite he had glasses on!), the eye popped out and that was it - guy lost it, there was nothing to save.

If it's any use to anyone, always wear a helmet, no matter what state law says. Bugs hitting the eye, rocks bursting from car's wheels, stupid people throwing stuff at ya - you name it, you never know when you'll need it. And when you do, it's better to have it Choice is yours.

As my DL instructor said: do you know who a good biker is? A living one. (Then, as I knew the answer, he changed to "old one", you get the picture )

And a little joke to lighten the mood up:
    Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    (...) "Ride like you are invisible and there is a price on your head."
    (...)
    If I was riding being invisible and had a price on my head, no one would claim the bounty Sorry, Reno Rains
    Last edited by Akar.Zaephyr; 21st May 2015 at 15:31.

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    I had a bird fly out of the woods direct into my face shield. Aimed just right to miss the wind screen. He or she gave a life in the encounter. We both would have been hurting if I hadn't had a full face helmet with shield closed.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: nc700xa
    An instant bee sting on the face is excruciatingly painful at speed. I was always told to `half` the danger .
    Following vehicles without a rear view mirror I like to stay on the outside lane so they can see me in the drivers mirror so they are aware of me . Obviously I move to avoid potholes ,diesel spills and gravel where possible . Always be aware whats behind you and where they are and that's the best you can do to be an old rider.

Bike: "Nessie" 2016 750X DCT
    As my motorcycle course instructor said (as a general rule in North America) when on a multi-lane road "left side or right, tight to the white". The reasons for this general rule are many and most have been stated in the thread: oil/debris in the center of the lane; visibility with cars and "owning" the lane at the point where cars are most likely to enter your space). One that I haven't seen mentioned that is a critical safety issue is to NOT ride on the inside third (curb side) of the lane where there are side streets/intersections: a car approaching from a side street may not see you due to the angles involved and your speed and pull out right in front of you. SO MANY motorcyclists are killed at intersections by cars that "never saw them" and you need to do everything you can to make yourself visible--including high-viz clothing.

The "general rule" is just that and you need to vary your lane position around trucks/RVs that are pushing a lot of air, and also watch the approaching traffic coming over a hill (move right to avoid some bozo passing coming up the hill that you can't see and can't see you). The only time I would ever ride in the middle of the lane is in a severe cross wind when there might be chance the wind will push you into a lane you don't want to be in.

Just my 2 cents...

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    In my state handlebars cannot be above eye level. The laws are not all that different from state to state, and many of our states are larger than European countries, so it is not like it changes every five minutes.

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Gruezi! Swiss roads are indeed wonderful. We need skid plates and radiator guards here just to commute.