Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    It must be a nightmare over there trying to to abide by all the diiferent states laws
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Super Moderator Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker66 View Post
    It must be a nightmare over there trying to to abide by all the diiferent states laws
    It's not really a nightmare. Just have a motorcycle driver's license in your home state, wear your helmet, have your headlight on, and don't split lanes, and you are pretty much legal in all 50 states. Common safety sense is all it takes.

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    I thought that there were strange rules in some states such as (the only one I canremember) a maximum height for the handlebars. yes it was a custom bike magazine that somebody found on the train and passed onto me
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Bike: NC700X, ST1300,XR650L,CTX200B,CT200,S65,C50
    I always stand by the lead left ,follow right train of thought, on the side street & the highway, giving you more time to react and a better visual, as nearly all vehicles will come into your lane from the right (US.) It would seem to be intuitive ! Taking the outside radius of a turn or traffic deteriorating is the only time I vary. I practice riding every day and am rarely surprised. I tell my sons , daughter, and others," do it today, do it tomorrow,and all the days that follow, on a motorcycle, you have to see it coming," & if you get in a wreck it's always your fault !" I learned that lesson on a Friday in Sept. 1967 & it's kept me safe all these years. ..................PS I believe that crashing in the "dirt" whilst riding "on the edge"is pretty much manditory and a badge of honor,and traslates into "don't do this on the pavement!!!"

Bike: 2011 Honda NT700V
    As someone already wrote, I use active lane positioning, and rarely ride in the center of the lane...anymore.

When I first started riding again a few years ago after a long hiatus, I read some well written articles about the virtues of riding in the center. It sounded great and I did it. With the exception of areas where cars stop, like signs and signals, the oil is pretty rare around here. What changed my mind though is all the metal debris I picked up. In one year of riding, I made 5 repairs to the rear tire.

The cages are very courteous around here and they pick up all the screws, nails, cotter pins and other sharp pieces of metal in their car's tires for me. Since that one year, I have had only one flat in about 80,000 miles of freeway commuting.

I'll position myself on either side of the lane to "protect" my space and to be as visible as possible. It's now almost unconscious because I've been doing it for so long...and learning from the times when I did something dumb like knowingly staying in someone's blind spot. When that happened, I couldn't blame anyone but myself.

I think this is an excellent topic. Each of us has to think about what we're doing, if we are to ride safe.

Chris

Bike: None yet. Either a Triumph Bonneville, or NC700x
    Certain states have different motorcycle laws. I live on the border of South Carolina and North Carolina, in SC a helmet is not mandatory but in NC it is. On a daily basis you will see people stopped at the state line either putting on or taking off their helmets. Personally I wouldn't ride without one, but try telling that to a 60 year old on a HD Street Bob with ape hangers. Darwin already figured that one out for us.

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) TechiePilot's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC700XD (11 Aug 2012)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeisbill View Post
    Certain states have different motorcycle laws. I live on the border of South Carolina and North Carolina, in SC a helmet is not mandatory but in NC it is. On a daily basis you will see people stopped at the state line either putting on or taking off their helmets. Personally I wouldn't ride without one, but try telling that to a 60 year old on a HD Street Bob with ape hangers. Darwin already figured that one out for us.
    Indeed, jakeisbill. For my safety and minimal damage to self, I will wear the necessary gear, regardless of which state I'm in. Also, its much simpler than keeping this list of laws handy... I like the idea of living to ride another day

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip) happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Quote Originally Posted by TechiePilot View Post
    Indeed, jakeisbill. For my safety and minimal damage to self, I will wear the necessary gear, regardless of which state I'm in. Also, its much simpler than keeping this list of laws handy... I like the idea of living to ride another day
    Has any one here ridden your bike/bikes without helmet? (of course it is a no no but when I sometimes do it for a short distance, it feels so strange AND free....)
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    Has any one here ridden your bike/bikes without helmet? (of course it is a no no but when I sometimes do it for a short distance, it feels so strange AND free....)
    I normally did not wear a helmet on my XL unless I would be going on any type of highway that was over 55mph speed limit for more than just a quick stretch, or some serious off road trails. Around town I really felt like i could hear a lot more, and I was just more comfortable. With the NC, it seems like the little windscreen throws all of the air right into my face (I'm 6'2") and I cannot stand riding without a helmet.

btw - not a law here to have a helmet, very common

Senior Member Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)
    Riding in the middle of the roads (safety tip)

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    Differing laws in the states is not much of an issue. Many of our states are larger (geographically) than most EU countries so, in my case for example, I suspect I will seldom cross state lines on the bike.

Regarding helmet use.... I have a full-face helmet. Running down the road at 55mph, I had a huge bug hit me the other day that hit like a rifle shot and splattered all over my face-shield. I can't imagine what that would have felt like if not for the shield!
    >T