Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigating on the move.

Senior Member Navigating on the move. Dave Modisette's Avatar
    Bike: Triumph Bonneville T120, NC700X and Rebel 250

Navigating on the move.

Saturday, November 7th, I pick up my new 2013 model NC700X at First Coast Powersports in St. Augustine, Florida and drive it back to Brandon, Florida which is outside of Tampa. I've decided to avoid a three hour drive down Interstate highways full of winter migrating "snowbirds" by driving across the state and south via state and county roads.

There will be a lot of zigzagging course changes as I make my way from the north east part of the state to this central west coast area. It should be a lot of fun.

Any tips for handling maps and navigation? I'm thinking a simple list of roads and miles between waypoints citing where to turn and which direction. I have my cell phone in a pinch if I need to know where I'm at. Hopefully, the cell phone coverage will be adequate if I need to do that. I suppose I could charge up and carry my iPad with the map programs I have.

First day out on the NC and I do a four hour 188 mile trip. I think it will be fun.

Senior Member Navigating on the move. StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    a used GPS (Garmin or TomTom) may be had on Amazon for around $60 [HERE].

Using a RAM mount, you can have the GPS (self contained...needing no cell connection) right in front of you all the time.
    TomTom's smart phone app has the map ON your cell phone, so it doesn't need an active cell connection to work either.

If you get fancy, you can connect the GPS unit (and your cell phone) directly to the battery, so that both are powered as you ride and NEVER run down.
    I ride with my smart phone and TomTom GO 50 mounted right in front of me with sun visors over both so I can see them more easily.
    I wouldn't go back to adventuring on my NC without this setup.

I've left out a lot of detail just to make the point quickly. If you'd like detailed information and pictures .... where would you like to start?
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

#1 Elite Navigating on the move.
    Navigating on the move.
    Bike: NC-less
    For a paper method: Go to mapquest.com and enter your starting and ending locations. Drag the route around until you are satisfied with it and then select VIEW ROUTE DIRECTIONS. You can print it out kind of as a roll chart with all of the turns and mileages listed.

Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    a used GPS (Garmin or TomTom) may be had on Amazon for around $60 [HERE].

Using a RAM mount, you can have the GPS (self contained...needing no cell connection) right in front of you all the time.
    TomTom's smart phone app has the map ON your cell phone, so it doesn't need an active cell connection to work either.

If you get fancy, you can connect the GPS unit (and your cell phone) directly to the battery, so that both are powered as you ride and NEVER run down.
    I ride with my smart phone and TomTom GO 50 mounted right in front of me with sun visors over both so I can see them more easily.
    I wouldn't go back to adventuring on my NC without this setup.

I've left out a lot of detail just to make the point quickly. If you'd like detailed information and pictures .... where would you like to start?
    That's a good target to aim for but this trip will be a brand new bike so I don't think I'll have a chance to do any wiring. I do have a case for my cell phone that is water proof and has a clamping system to attach it to the handlebars. Normally, it's too bright during the day for it to be much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post
    For a paper method: Go to mapquest.com and enter your starting and ending locations. Drag the route around until you are satisfied with it and then select VIEW ROUTE DIRECTIONS. You can print it out kind of as a roll chart with all of the turns and mileages listed.
    That's what I've done so far. The print is a little small so I planned on hand writing it or printing it in a larger font.

I second the back roads. It's better for the soul than the interstate.

Also, every now and then when I've strayed too far from home, and found myself in unfamiliar territory, I will use the google maps app on my phone to get a quick read on which direction is home. Usually that is enough, but if it's getting late or i'm iffy on gas I start up the voice turn by turn directions and put the phone in my jacket chest pocket. By turning the phone's volume up to max and the phone's speaker pointed forward (away from my chest) the directions are audible when I slow down for a turn or the occasional stop sign. Sometimes I approach a fork in the road I speculate on which way leads back to town. Then I let up on the throttle just long enough to hear 'Turn left' or 'Turn right' and off we go again. I won't comment on my percentage of correct vs. incorrect guesses using this method. Or, if you favor a little more confidence, a snug fitting pair earbuds work great and will allow you hear the turn by turn directions long before approaching a stop but they do take some of the fun out of it...

Enjoy the ride!
    -Saturday

Bike: NM4
    I create distance and turn notes. How far to the next turn, and what the turn is.

12.2 - left Main (245)

Distance in Miles, dash, direction of turn, name of road, route number in () if applicable.

If I need other info, it is indented before or after the turn as proper. I always look at each intersection on Google and might note a store, building, or landmark to watch for.

I print them in small blocks, tape the pieces in order and peel off the top sheet as needed. Mounts to my tank (frunk) for easy reference.

Sent from a Speak & Spell wired to a record player outfitted with a saw blade, fork, and an umbrella.

Bike: NC700X
    Simply, get a compass and throw all the other junk away. Then just point your bike in the right direction. You will get to your destination eventually, and have a lot more fun finding new places and interesting folks..
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    Simply, get a compass and throw all the other junk away. Then just point your bike in the right direction. You will get to your destination eventually, and have a lot more fun finding new places and interesting folks..
    Haha! That sounds like my ride this weekend. I'd see a road and go down it. Finally, I just pointed the bike the way I thought it should go and went back home.

Senior Member Navigating on the move. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I can help with some road suggestions. The roads to Brandon are in my backyard and I ride between St. Augustine and Valrico/Tampa all the time. I'll send you a PM with my phone number if you want to discuss various ways to go from state roads to down to county roads.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD