Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Navigating on the move.

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Whatever you choose you need bluetooth connectivity.
    Dedicated GPS devices will be obsolete soon if manufacturers don't do something innovative (except for cars and trucks).
    There are now many small tablets below $199 (Android), 7 or 8", with fast processors, excellent hi-res screen, and superb navigation sensors capable to receive GPS and Glonass (Russian) signal the same time, even inside.
    One example - ASUS 32GB Z580C-B1 ZenPad S 8.0" for $199.
    You may have a lot of different choices of navigation and mapping programs, depend from situation.
    On the road, off line (no wi-fi) TomTom Go is the best ($19.99/year service). Fast and accurate. And excellent turn-by-turn and text-to-voice with street names service (Samantha). And you have Route Planning.
    I had this tablet locked in NC's frunk and "she", Samantha, guided me across D.C. from west to east with stop on National Mall.
    Google Maps are the most accurate to find places with the most recent updates. But you need wifi connection. You can use you iPhone as wifi hotspot. Google Maps are not so good for fast moving navigation because of lack of good map contrast, but are good for walking and research. Google Maps have excellent info of public transportation around the world. Now they use Waze for traffic information.
    Nokia Here is slowly improving.
    To keep those things running (iPhone, tablet) without connecting to bike's battery, get external battery pack like RAVPower 16000mAh - $29.99. You have power you can carry with you, for many hours, without effecting bike's battery.

Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KDX200
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    Simply, get a compass and throw all the other junk away. Then just point your bike in the right direction. You will get to your destination eventually, and have a lot more fun finding new places and interesting folks..
    I like OCR's idea. We left Oklahoma a few years ago without any electronic devices and not 1 map. We knew south and east, that was it. The ride, the adventure, and no electronics made for a great trip. The first day we were constantly looking for our phones, after that it was just a pleasure and wonderful trip.

Bike: NC700X
    A map for that route? There is no missing the great towns of Palatka, Eustis, and Groveland. I would like to start a pool on when you start hating the seat. My money is somewhere in the middle of the Ocala National Forest.

Honestly, read about the showkey mod for the seat. In a pinch you can just put risers on the supports and still fit the seat tongue in the bracket. It will help.

And treat yourself to something at the Yahala Bakery.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Senior Member Navigating on the move. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcmike View Post
    A map for that route? There is no missing the great towns of Palatka, Eustis, and Groveland. I would like to start a pool on when you start hating the seat. My money is somewhere in the middle of the Ocala National Forest.

Honestly, read about the showkey mod for the seat. In a pinch you can just put risers on the supports and still fit the seat tongue in the bracket. It will help.

And treat yourself to something at the Yahala Bakery.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
    I was thinking Palatka, Citra, Irvine, Emathla, Marta (some grub at the Horse & Hound on 40), Inverness, Istachatta, Trilby, Dade City, Thonatassa.

That's how I'd go.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Navigating on the move. Dave Modisette's Avatar
    Bike: Triumph Bonneville T120, NC700X and Rebel 250
    Here's the route that I've been thinking about. https://goo.gl/maps/S3HbP7FQE3T2 There's a lot of little towns that I've never been through. Mostly, I've been up and down the coasts or driving the Interstates so I've always seen the same old thing. Now that I'm a bike rider again, it's time to explore.

Senior Member Navigating on the move. davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
    Saturday, November 7th, I pick up my new 2013 model NC700X at First Coast Powersports in St. Augustine, Florida and drive it back to Brandon, Florida which is outside of Tampa. I've decided to avoid a three hour drive down Interstate highways full of winter migrating "snowbirds" by driving across the state and south via state and county roads.

There will be a lot of zigzagging course changes as I make my way from the north east part of the state to this central west coast area. It should be a lot of fun.

Any tips for handling maps and navigation? I'm thinking a simple list of roads and miles between waypoints citing where to turn and which direction. I have my cell phone in a pinch if I need to know where I'm at. Hopefully, the cell phone coverage will be adequate if I need to do that. I suppose I could charge up and carry my iPad with the map programs I have.

First day out on the NC and I do a four hour 188 mile trip. I think it will be fun.
    You are in Florida, no need for gps or maps, just ride west and south. The easiest without Interstate from St. Augustin to Tampa is Hwy FL20 west out of St. Augustine, to FL200 south to US41 south. Lots of county roads but numerous dead ends without a warning sign. You can also take Fl20 into Gainesville, pickup FL121 to Williston, and US41 south, this isn't too bad of a route as far as Florida is concerned (you know the 11 curves in 318 miles in Florida). If you ride into Gainesville, just off of Hwy 24 (Archer road) is Bear Industries, as in the Bear bows, which Fred Bear started. They have a small museum which is free and have a bunch of Fred Bears old hunting items-Hwy 24, just west of I-75, turn left (south) on SW 41st Blv. About a half mile on the right-cant miss it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Navigating on the move. itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    I like Beemer's idea. I'm going to get one of these before my next trip. I usually go on Google Maps and write down my directions (I remember them better if I write them down).
    DUAL ROLL CHART HOLDER MODEL**MAGNIFIER

OR, you could go all out and get the BMW version- like that's going to happen

09 BMW G450X Rally Holder Motorized Roll Chart with Mount Bracket Stay | eBay
    Last edited by itlives; 3rd November 2015 at 11:49.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Modisette View Post
    Here's the route that I've been thinking about. https://goo.gl/maps/S3HbP7FQE3T2 There's a lot of little towns that I've never been through. Mostly, I've been up and down the coasts or driving the Interstates so I've always seen the same old thing. Now that I'm a bike rider again, it's time to explore.

Well, Dave. I'm 50/50 on your route. The plus side is that it does take you close to the Yalaha Bakery and a little ways through the Ocala National Forest. So you might get to see a bigfoot. The bad side is that it takes you through "Sleezeburg", and dangerously close to the retirees in The Villages, the STD capital of Florida.

But you want an adventure.

Enjoy!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Put a map on the frunk. Write or print the turns. Its ok to stop and get your bearings. Heck, it's ok to get lost. A paper map and cell phone will get you through any populous areas.

I like the idea of a cell phone with ear buds and an app like waze or copilot. Stick the phone in your jacket pocket. Stop and pull it out when you need to. Take your time....new bike etc.
    Last edited by drdubb; 3rd November 2015 at 15:03.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Senior Member Navigating on the move. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcmike View Post
    Well, Dave. I'm 50/50 on your route. The plus side is that it does take you close to the Yalaha Bakery and a little ways through the Ocala National Forest. So you might get to see a bigfoot. The bad side is that it takes you through "Sleezeburg", and dangerously close to the retirees in The Villages, the STD capital of Florida.

But you want an adventure.

Enjoy!
    Concur. I generally always go west of Ocala to avoid traffic and the roads and views are much better. Horse county riding is among the best in FL.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD