Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combined ABS ?

Bike: NC750X DCT

Combined ABS ?

Can anyone tell me if the UK spec'd 2018 model of the NC750X DCT has Combined ABS? Iíve read conflicting reports. Some say it doesnít while others say it does but only when applying the rear brake pedal. Need clarification.

Senior Member Combined ABS ? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Don’t we all.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Time to experiment? Put the bike on the centre stand apply the rear brake and try to spin the front tyre?

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
    Time to experiment? Put the bike on the centre stand apply the rear brake and try to spin the front tyre?
    A combined system using electronics to send rear brake pressure to the front would have to use the ABS system to measure relative wheel speed. On the center stand with front wheel not turning wouldn’t the ABS system be temporarily disabled in calibration mode with ABS light illuminated?
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    I concede the point. I was confusing the NC700x linked brakes, where one piston on the front wheel calliper is linked to the rear brake, with combined ABS.

Bike: NC700S, Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    A combined system using electronics to send rear brake pressure to the front would have to use the ABS system to measure relative wheel speed. On the center stand with front wheel not turning wouldn’t the ABS system be temporarily disabled in calibration mode with ABS light illuminated?
    But that's not how Honda implemented the C-ABS on the NC, it wasn't an electronic thing (at least in 2012 it wasn't). The 3-pot caliper up front had 2 pistons tied to the front brake lever and the centre (smaller) piston hooked to the rear pedal, so every time you applied the rear you got some squeeze up front. As a side effect, you get better performance from the front brake when you also apply the rear brake. There was a proportional valve somewhere in the system that both regulated how much pressure was applied up front and added a bit of delay (and progressive application) to the front when the rear was squeezed.

Unless they revised the system in later years, the "combined" aspect and the "ABS" aspect had nothing to do with each other, except that they were both incorporated to the C-ABS system, so non-ABS bikes had no combined braking (only 2 pistons in the caliper up front).

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronWarrior View Post
    But that's not how Honda implemented the C-ABS on the NC, it wasn't an electronic thing (at least in 2012 it wasn't). The 3-pot caliper up front had 2 pistons tied to the front brake lever and the centre (smaller) piston hooked to the rear pedal, so every time you applied the rear you got some squeeze up front. As a side effect, you get better performance from the front brake when you also apply the rear brake. There was a proportional valve somewhere in the system that both regulated how much pressure was applied up front and added a bit of delay (and progressive application) to the front when the rear was squeezed.

Unless they revised the system in later years, the "combined" aspect and the "ABS" aspect had nothing to do with each other, except that they were both incorporated to the C-ABS system, so non-ABS bikes had no combined braking (only 2 pistons in the caliper up front).
    If I'm not mistaken, the 3 pot caliper was only on the first few year models, and later went to a different system with different front caliper design.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I think the 2014-15 models did not have combined breaking (my 2015 DCT does not). The public info is very confusing as to what years and what countries got combined breaking. I donít know why they dropped it, unless it was a cost thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Combined ABS ?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I can confirm that my Canadian 2013 NC 700S has linked braking and a 3 pot front brake

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronWarrior View Post

The OP is talking about a 2018 model. Only 2012 and 2013 models used mechanically combined braking with the 3 piston front caliper.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD