Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: mystery connector front left

Bike: 2019 nc750x. DCT

mystery connector front left

2019 NC750Xdct

Found this connector taped into the harness left front inside of cowl.
    Green, purple, and purple with red tracer

green - continuity with ground
    purple - +5v dc when key on, engine running or not
    purple with red - no voltage or connectivity with other 2 wires.

The provided a female cap you could add pins to and make your own extension (or just to keep corrosion off wired end)

Any idea what its for?
    Attached Images Attached Images mystery connector front left-img_5498-jpg 

Senior Member mystery connector front left dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    IIRC Violet/Red is for optional heated grips on older NC700Xs. Green is always ground.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Member mystery connector front left
    Bike: 12 NC700x
    5v would have to be for some type usb charging application, say phone charger?

Plot twist

My accessory relay kit arrived, and the harness is back-ordered another month.
    So I went ahead installing the accessory relay and fuse if you can call it installing lol.

On a hunch, I retested the Purple/Red wire with the relay kit installed - +12v, with ign/ on.
    Removed relay - dead. Put back - on.

So while the relay kit fires up the Accessory connector behind the frunk bottom, it also enables the purple/red in the 3 pin connector in the front of the bike ... left, inside of cowl near front fork tubes.

For some folks this might be an easier solution than removing all the bodywork to install the wiring harness if all you need is an ign. controlled 12v

So got to install my 2xUSB3.0/voltmeter outlet. I chopped off the 3 wire connector, heat shrink tip to insulate the purple/white dot +5.
    Installed my own 2 position connector mainly so its easier to add another 2 pos connector for another accessory on to the leads on the USB accessory side as I left those long enough to work on outside of the steering cavity.

Still no idea what the connector is for originally.

Bike: NC750X DCT, BMW X Challenge
    This plug is for the Honda OEM heated grips on 2017+ bikes. Green is ground, the Purple/Red wire is switched 12v+ (which is enabled when you also install the accessory fuse & relay set), and the Purple/Black wire supplies a signal to the instrument panel that's fed back from the grip heat controller, which is part of the OEM heated grip equipment.

In use, there's a button on the left grip that will sequentially switch grip heat level from 5-4-3-2-1-off. The illuminated button cover flashes when the heat is on and every time the heat setting level is changed, the instrument panel clock blanks out and an image of a heated grip along with the number of the heat setting momentarily shows in its place. The heat level number disappears and clock returns after that moment. The heated grip icon shows as long as the grip is heating at any level and goes blank when the heat setting is "0".

The switched 12v+ comes from the same fused connection as the switched power to the accessory connector. Given that, if I didn't already have the OEM heated grips, I'd certainly feel comfortable using that connector as a source for switched 12v+ - but probably best to stay away from the Purple/Black wire.
    Last edited by CapeMan; 31st August 2019 at 14:46.

Really appreciate you filling in the details CapeMan! Mystery solved

USB charge port for my iphone I'd wager is a safe load to T-tap into the switched lead if you retain the connector for grip heaters.
    I agree with other accessories the 7.5A capability of the fuse is a limiting factor combined with the grips (and lights if you go with Honda's full on light package)

Bike: NC750X DCT, BMW X Challenge
    I'm sure that the wiring could handle a USB 12v>5v charger. I mean the heated grips are probably running what, maybe 2 - 2.5 amps and the charger's probably pulling 1 amp or so so it's all good. And if you could find the right connector (or maybe even use the blanking connector that's already there if it's got wiring terminals in it - don't recall), you wouldn't even have to tap in to the lead. Just stay away from the Purple/Black connector! Sweet.