Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing a left rear brake lever on NX750x DCT

Bike: NC750X DCT

Installing a left rear brake lever on NX750x DCT

Disabled rider (limited strength in right foot) has a problem operating the rear brake pedal. Has anyone successfully converted their NC750X DCT to install a rear brake lever on the handlebars, as seen on the Integra super scooter. My concern is the integration with the ABS, and the brake lights. There may of course be other solutions perhaps a clutch lever and cable, operating a lever attached to the rear brake pedal or rear master cylinder (like the Ox Brake system). In fact any solutions that work would be appreciated.
    Last edited by auldain; 9th July 2019 at 15:26.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Auldain there's some info on this on the UK NC700x forum. Some suggested Integra parts, others used BMW/KTM levers with their own plumbing. So yes it can be done.

Bike: '18 NC750X
    Consider a linked brake system with both brakes operating from the right hand brake lever? Honda has made a few bikes with linked brakes.
    Not simple but doable.

Senior Member Installing a left rear brake lever on NX750x DCT
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    I've thought about this for a different reason on my 2013 DCT model but looking at the left side of the non-standard handlebar, there isn't any room for an additional mount between the grip and the parking brake mechanism. It might be easier on the straighter, standard handlebar but the ergos on that one were all wrong for me.

Bike: 72 Shovelhead and a 2012 NC700X DCT
    I tried it on my DCT. I replaced the Parking Brake lever with a clutch lever and mirror mount from a Honda 1100. Then I reused the parking brake cable. It didn't fit just right but well enough to test the concept. I was looking for some way to control the rear wheel on steep descents where I couldn't necessarily keep my right foot on the pedal. (Think off camber/side hill where the left side is downhill) What I found was that although it would actuate the lever, the leverage/throw was insufficient to actually provide much braking force. I "think" a hydraulic solution is in order, but haven't figured out where to source the parts and how that will actually work with the plumbing. I have seen the scooter transplants and may follow that path at some point.

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Quote Originally Posted by auldain View Post
    ...Has anyone successfully converted their NC750X DCT to install a rear brake lever on the handlebars,...
    Yes, I did this modification twice - in NC700XD and CTX700ND.
    My modification was to connect the braided brake line from the left-hand master cylinder to the ABS module in place of the brake line from the rear brake master cylinder. And I moved the parking brake on the 7/8 "crossbar. (The GIVI Smart Bar can be a good example.) I used a master cylinder and a brake handle from the 2010 Honda Silver Wing, complete with a brake light switch.
    I must say that such a modification of brakes is here, in the US, not in full compliance with the applicable regulations (in other words - illegal). It is permitted to install the left-hand rear brake as a supplemental to the existing one but not as a replacement.
    As an additional solution check this link to the modification of the rear brake in the Honda Africa Twin.

YouTube

Senior Member Installing a left rear brake lever on NX750x DCT
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    If I were to do it and I'm not, I'd try to use the parking brake caliper to do the slowing because it would only be used at very low speeds.

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    If I were to do it and I'm not, I'd try to use the parking brake caliper to do the slowing because it would only be used at very low speeds.
    Do you mean of slowing or stopping of 800 lbs of weight in motion with hand operated parking brake, with tiny brake pads and locking mechanism? Yes, I tried that... only ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lootzyan View Post
    Do you mean of slowing or stopping of 800 lbs of weight in motion with hand operated parking brake, with tiny brake pads and locking mechanism? Yes, I tried that... only ones.
    If I was using the clutch lever to activate the parking brake, it would just be to give slow speed control. Certainly couldn’t be used as a substitute for the hydro rear brake.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    I've thought about this for a different reason on my 2013 DCT model but looking at the left side of the non-standard handlebar, there isn't any room for an additional mount between the grip and the parking brake mechanism. It might be easier on the straighter, standard handlebar but the ergos on that one were all wrong for me.
    Can the parking brake mechanism not simply be wiggled further down the bars towards the clamps to create the space for the lefthand brake clamp?