Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016

  1. #31
    Senior Member melensdad's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Chicagoland (NW Indiana) USA
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    If it’s that simple, and perhaps it is, then Honda is supplying false information on their web site for current 2019 models. The current web page claims that the 2019 ABS model’s brakes are linked, but we can see that the front caliper has two pistons and it’s fed by one brake hose...
    I can confirm that 2016 and 2018 (both DTC models) have the identical set up to the 2019.

    The 2016-2019 use identical wording on their respective Honda web pages to describe the linked brakes.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    630
    Maybe instead of using an extra brake line to control the center piston on the front caliper when applying rear brake, they use an abs block similar to the harley's that somehow proportions a percentage of the front brake pressure when applying rear brake.

    Linked would also mean applying front brakes should affect rear brake too, right? If so, how does it do that? Same concept? I wouldn't think "linked" brakes only apply when using the rear brake.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Maybe instead of using an extra brake line to control the center piston on the front caliper when applying rear brake, they use an abs block similar to the harley's that somehow proportions a percentage of the front brake pressure when applying rear brake.

    Linked would also mean applying front brakes should affect rear brake too, right? If so, how does it do that? Same concept? I wouldn't think "linked" brakes only apply when using the rear brake.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Appears that may be the case.


    Taken from adv forum



    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    630
    That would explain Honda's doing away of the 3 pot caliper while still maintaining linked abs on newer models with 2 pot front calipers.

    There isn't too many ways to link abs brakes if you think about it. So that makes sense.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 20th July 2019 at 12:26.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016 dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,929
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The definitions of linked and combined are not clear to me. On the 2012 and 2013, it was obvious what was going on, since the plumbing and hardware were right there to see.

    What would be interesting is to raise one wheel on a 2014-2019 ABS model, spin the wheel, and operate the brake for the other wheel to see if it has any effect on the spinning wheel. Are they linked in any way? Are they linked only if ABS is activated? Did the brake design change in 2014? In 2016?
    Yes, we did this with a 2018 DCT when I worked at the dealership. The brakes aren't linked front to rear, rear to front, or at all. This is an old topic rehashed. Who knows why Honda doesn't change the website. They did change it from linked to "2 Channel ABS" with DCT models at some point. I didn't bother to look it up today, I did all this in the past, and talked to our Honda technical rep about it last year.

    For several years about 10 years ago Honda did build an an electronic C-ABS system on the 600cc supersport and liter bikes. If the 700/750s had it there would be a two motor control units, one for each wheel, two wheel valve units and a dedicated electronic control unit for each wheel. The 700/750s have similar ABS one-box modulators as every other late model Honda with ABS and none of the associated black boxes of the C-ABS system.
    Last edited by dduelin; 20th July 2019 at 13:03.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Yes, we did this with a 2018 DCT when I worked at the dealership. The brakes aren't linked front to rear, rear to front, or at all. This is an old topic rehashed. Who knows why Honda doesn't change the website. They did change it from linked to "2 Channel ABS" with DCT models at some point. I didn't bother to look it up today, I did all this in the past, and talked to our Honda technical rep about it last year.

    For several years about 10 years ago Honda did build an an electronic C-ABS system on the 600cc supersport and liter bikes. If the 700/750s had it there would be a two motor control units, one for each wheel, two wheel valve units and a dedicated electronic control unit for each wheel. The 700/750s have similar ABS one-box modulators as every other late model Honda with ABS and none of the associated black boxes of the C-ABS system.
    If they are linked to redistribute brake pressure to the front brake in the event of applying too much rear brake to the point of locking up the wheel, you won't be able to measure whether that works or not in a shop. You would have to get going down the road and hammer on the rear brake to see of the front dives any from abs applying front brake pressure, because the system would need to detect a slippage of the rear tire while the front tire is still traveling at speed.

    I'm not saying you are wrong, but I don't believe Honda would write that the NC'S have linked ABS systems if they actually did not. I'm sure they know their product much better than that. Although they did not spellcheck the specs titles. Lol

    It also states that they are linked "rear-to-front" which would mean they are only linked in the event of over-application of the rear brake, and that the front brakes are stand alone. Which is opposite what I expected.

    Images/text from Honda Powersports website regarding the 19 NC750X.





    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 20th July 2019 at 14:23.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016
    Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016
    DirtFlier's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Troy, Ohio
    Posts
    902
    Oops, it's clear now that my idea of the linked system always having a 3-pot front caliper fed via two brake hoses is old school and Honda has developed another method to do the same task using a 2-pot front caliper with single hose.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Brake balance, NC750 SA 2016 dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,929
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    Oops, it's clear now that my idea of the linked system always having a 3-pot front caliper fed via two brake hoses is old school and Honda has developed another method to do the same task using a 2-pot front caliper with single hose.
    Yes, Honda did this in certain MY 2009 production models and the necessary components of Electronic C-ABS are not included on NC700/750XD ABS models. Unless of course you find them in parts lists.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Yes, Honda did this in certain MY 2009 production models and the necessary components of Electronic C-ABS are not included on NC700/750XD ABS models. Unless of course you find them in parts lists.
    Are you still sticking to the theory that the NC does not have an ABS system that is linked in the least bit? I want facts lol. Wish there was more literature on the matter.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Ride-on or re-balance the tire?
    By mreric in forum Tire Tech Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 7th October 2016, 15:58
  2. Brake light flasher for 2016 NC700
    By Ice in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd July 2016, 22:25
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 18th June 2016, 00:40
  4. New Calsci Windshields for 2016 NC700 / NC750
    By marklawrence in forum NC700 News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th May 2016, 22:26
  5. Garnae Balance Oil boot ??.
    By Nortwestrider in forum Safety Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21st August 2013, 14:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •