Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed stock seat with highway pegs

Bike: Honda NC750-S

Fixed stock seat with highway pegs

A couple weeks ago I road 500 kms on my new bike. It was all highway riding at about 120 kph. The trip revealed some discomfort for long rides, for my preferences.

1) Stock seat leans forward bit too much. It is uncomfortable.
    2) The foot pegs are too high and back. It gave my legs slight cramping after a few hours.
    3) The stock screen gave no wind protection. It was pushing my chest too much, requiring stronger hand grip.

I since installed a taller after-market wind screen. This solved the problem fully.

Yesterday I received highway pegs. Kuryakyn #7933 - Large ISO-Pegs with offset & 1.35" magnum quick clamps. They allowed me to alternate my leg position, which remedied my leg cramping on long trips.

Interestingly, the highway pegs also remedied my discomfort with the stock seat. As mentioned, I think part of the problem of the seat is that it is cocked forward, causing the rider to gradually slide forward - where the seat is more narrow. However, when my legs are swung forward onto the highway pegs, this posture naturally creates a backward movement (caused by my forward slung feet). This backward movement of the pegs counter-acts the forward movement of the slanted seat; this results in a neutral seating posture. Instantly, the seating was comfortable.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    What did you clamp the Kuryakyn #7933 pegs to? Can you post pictures please. Thanks.

Kuryakyn has a clamp that bolts easily and properly to the bike's steel tubular frame. Kuryakyn is fully adjustable for height, pitch angle, etc. Make sure you order the 1.35" diameter clamp (as I noted). I covered the inside face of the clamp with rubber electric tape, so as to not scratch the paint finish on the bike's frame.

Highway pegs ... oooh! Comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fixed stock seat with highway pegs-img_0005-jpg Fixed stock seat with highway pegs-img_0004-jpg Fixed stock seat with highway pegs-img_0003-jpg Fixed stock seat with highway pegs-img_0001-jpg Fixed stock seat with highway pegs-img_0002-jpg 
    Last edited by Skeleton; 17th July 2014 at 13:09.

Looks great, thanks for the detailed photos.

Bonus! ... The highway peg would probably function somewhat as a frame slider.

It has about the same profile as conventional frame sliders. So it should be able to contact the ground 'first' upon a tip-over of the bike. Given that the product's fastening clamp is a single point of contact using an offset friction clamp, I would expect the footpeg will rotate upon impact. As such, it will merely take the initial high impact force, then rotate away, after which other points on the bike's side will eventually contact the ground. This probably would involve the handlebar grip ends, levers, faux tank, muffler, foot pegs.

I would not consider this to be a failure of the footpeg to function as a frame slider. I have had conventional frame sliders on two previous sport bikes; they function and dysfunction as I noted above. As I know them to be, frame sliders merely serve to take the initial and forceful impact of a tip-over.

So, footpegs as frame sliders. Sure, but sort of.

Senior Member Fixed stock seat with highway pegs
    Bike: 2013 NC 700X DCT
    I had the same ones for my bike before I got crash bars. I scuffed up the chrome, put on a couple of coats of self-etching primer and then applied a couple of coats of Rustoleum spray-on rubber. I like the grayed-out look better than the chrome look as my bike is black and gray.

Super Moderator Fixed stock seat with highway pegs 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeleton View Post

Highway pegs ... oooh! Comfortable.
    I'm not criticizing your mod, but it think it's funny how we differ. I ride all day, 500 miles, usually with my feet under me and my heels on the passenger pegs like your upper photo. I can only go about 15 minutes with my feet out front like in the lower photo, and I'm starting to hurt. Just looking at that lower photo, it looks painful to me. And yet for some it's the best choice.

Seriously, I'm glad it works out for you. The feet forward posture is very popular in the US.
    Last edited by 670cc; 24th July 2014 at 20:03.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Commuter Extraordinaire Fixed stock seat with highway pegs
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The feet forward posture is very popular in the US.
    Feet forward makes me nervous but it is more about where I ride than it being uncomfortable. I think I passed around 35 semi trucks on my way to work at 0500 this morning. There is no way I’d ride any portion of my 30 minute commute to work with my feet on forward mounted pegs.

Just like you I am very comfortable with my feet directly under me. I do not feel I could react quick enough if I needed to make an evasive move.

For those that have them I’m sure it is a great addition to your riding experience. I prefer not to have them.

I have similar highway pegs on my NC and I am the same way. The feet forward position makes me nervous and puts took much pressure on my butt. They are good for a short stretch of my legs, but not for more than a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    Feet forward makes me nervous but it is more about where I ride than it being uncomfortable. I think I passed around 35 semi trucks on my way to work at 0500 this morning. There is no way I’d ride any portion of my 30 minute commute to work with my feet on forward mounted pegs.

Just like you I am very comfortable with my feet directly under me. I do not feel I could react quick enough if I needed to make an evasive move.

For those that have them I’m sure it is a great addition to your riding experience. I prefer not to have them.

Senior Member Fixed stock seat with highway pegs Big Thump's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Kurys look good! I have to be able to stretch my legs now and then. My knees will lock up just sitting in one place for too long. Old age? Maybe or just years of abuse, but I really like the option.
    "The Road Goes On Forever"
    IBA #23562