Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OEM hand guards

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post
    I have the SW-M Kobra's, used the OEM/existing weights etc. that came on the bike. No issues. I liked the styling better, the metal spine, and the available LED insert to provide another set of DRL & indicator lights. Install was prettytr straight forward.
    Those look great, the frame portion looks very similar to the BB but the plastic portion looks even sleeker, but dang they cost even more then the BB, just so you know BB also sells a LED insert you can wire up as turn signals or running lights

Senior Member OEM hand guards dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by NCX19 View Post
    thanks Scott,
    great info

also good info dduelin.
    Video of the BB's being installed on a 700? showed internal bar weights and factory weights being removed.
    Which model are you referring to? looking on their site the 750 single and 2 point versions also seem to require removal for the 4 i 'read more' on.

appreciate all the replies. I'll have to research BBs more for metal brace. Not sure I want to look at it behind
    the guard, but the practicality of protection is a plus.

will see if dealer has the OEMs in stock so I can get a feel for 'em. tough choice,
    I ordered the 2 point ones with Storm plastics for the NC700X DCT from Twisted Throttle. Removing the OEM bar weights isnít easy so got some slightly longer screws and installed them using the OEM bar weights. I wanted the protection of the metal skeleton. Like noted, I remove the plastic cover in the warmer months and still have hand and lever protection.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I ordered the 2 point ones with Storm plastics for the NC700X DCT from Twisted Throttle. Removing the OEM bar weights isnít easy so got some slightly longer screws and installed them using the OEM bar weights. I wanted the protection of the metal skeleton. Like noted, I remove the plastic cover in the warmer months and still have hand and lever protection.
    Where did you get the longer bolts? I had a hard time locating any the same size, I ended up using the Barkbusters internals but keeping stock weights.

I got the VPS instead of the Storm model and regret that, the VPS doesn't block enough wind and if I want to let more wind through I just take the plastic off as others have mentioned

Senior Member OEM hand guards dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    Where did you get the longer bolts? I had a hard time locating any the same size, I ended up using the Barkbusters internals but keeping stock weights.

I got the VPS instead of the Storm model and regret that, the VPS doesn't block enough wind and if I want to let more wind through I just take the plastic off as others have mentioned
    I don't remember for sure as it was three years ago. I think I went to Fastenal.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Junior Member OEM hand guards Canbo's Avatar
    Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT
    I too am looking to install hand guards on my 2018 with DCT. I was going to start a new thread but I'll just add to this one instead. I'd prefer BB's but my issue is with clearance for a 20" Madstad. I had to install a 1" handle bar riser to stop the mirror stems from contacting the screen at full L or R lock so there's very little room for hand guards. Have any of you guys with Madstads run into this problem?

PS. I have the 2" risers but installing them creates the dreaded brake-cable-length problems.