Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM hand guards

Bike: 2019 nc750x. DCT

OEM hand guards

Being fall, I'm looking to add hand guards.

I see lots of posts re BarkBusters, Givi etc, but no mention of Honda's OEM guards 08P70-MKA-D80

Looking to see if anyone actually has 'em, and pros/cons of them, and installed pics?

I dont want to remove the OEM bar weights, or make mods that take away from the stock setup, except to add guards.
    From what little I can see of the Honda guards, it appears they are a simple install.

Not a cost issue for me, as I can get Chinese ones cheap. More about wanting the OEM for straightforward fit and 'meant to be there' look vs tacked on.

thanks in advance

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    I liked the idea of a metal frame or spine to protect my fingers or knuckles in case a bumped into something, also something with a metal frame can protect your controls in case of laying it down (as happened to me) my Barkbusters protected my controls, if I hadn't already bought Barkbusters I'd look at something like this

JFG-RACING Black Handguards Hand Guards - Universal for 7/8" and 1 1/8" Brush Bar For off Road ATV Yamaha Kawasaki Suzuki For Honda Motorcycle Pit Dirt Bike Motocross https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073LZ4L4H..._xs-HDbJ7SS0QS
    Last edited by rippin209; 22nd September 2019 at 15:59.

Senior Member OEM hand guards dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by NCX19 View Post
    Being fall, I'm looking to add hand guards.

I see lots of posts re BarkBusters, Givi etc, but no mention of Honda's OEM guards 08P70-MKA-D80

Looking to see if anyone actually has 'em, and pros/cons of them, and installed pics?

I dont want to remove the OEM bar weights, or make mods that take away from the stock setup, except to add guards.
    From what little I can see of the Honda guards, it appears they are a simple install.

Not a cost issue for me, as I can get Chinese ones cheap. More about wanting the OEM for straightforward fit and 'meant to be there' look vs tacked on.

thanks in advance
    Just to clarify in case of misconception, Barkbusters don't require any modification from stock. You can even use the existing bar end weights and don't have to remove them, making the BBs an easy and straight forward install.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Just to clarify in case of misconception, Barkbusters don't require any modification from stock. You can even use the existing bar end weights and don't have to remove them, making the BBs an easy and straight forward install.
    Ive been looking at BB for 2 reasons. I know the original post is asking specifically about Honda OEM.

But...
    • BB makes a direct fit kit for the NC7..x series
    • BB makes and LED light kit to add to their hand guards for added visibility.

I like that they have a specific kit for the NC series (they also have a universal kit that apparently fits the NC7..x). But I love the fact that they have the option for factory fit LED lights. If I buy any hand guards, and I'm not sure I will add them, it will be a set of BBs specifically so I can add the lights for greater conspicuity to try to prevent distracted drivers from hitting me.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I first installed the Giviís to save a few bucks. Mistake. Just get the BBís - as Dave said they install easily with no mods, you do not have to remove the bar weights, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT
    I have the honda factory handguards, I bought them mainly because I knew they would fit. Turns out, plenty of others would fit too.

About the only thing I don't like about them is they have a mounting bracket about an inch wide that attaches to the handlebar that takes up space where you might want to mount something else, like a heated grip controller, auxiliary light switch mount, ram phone holder, etc. The handguards are made of an abs, plastic type of material that do a pretty good job of keeping the wind off your hands, but don't have any metal in them to offer any protection in a crash scenario. They have a bit of flex, they're not as brittle as the GIVI handguards, so they may not break if you dropped your bike.

The GIVI handguards I almost bought have a bracket that mounts onto the base of the mirror mount. I had them on my last bike. I would say the wind protection is better than the Honda OEM. They seem a little more brittle than the OEM's. They come with brackets that will work with the DCT or manual shift, as they're slightly different on the one side, since the DCT has a parking brake and the configuration is a little different.

As others have said, barkbusters will work. I'm not sure about all of the models but you can get them with a metal bar/frame that will protect your hands in a crash, and you can also remove the wind protector in the summer if you want without having to remove the mount. Pretty slick.

Bike: 2019 nc750x. DCT
    thanks Scott,
    great info

also good info dduelin.
    Video of the BB's being installed on a 700? showed internal bar weights and factory weights being removed.
    Which model are you referring to? looking on their site the 750 single and 2 point versions also seem to require removal for the 4 i 'read more' on.

appreciate all the replies. I'll have to research BBs more for metal brace. Not sure I want to look at it behind
    the guard, but the practicality of protection is a plus.

will see if dealer has the OEMs in stock so I can get a feel for 'em. tough choice,
    Last edited by NCX19; 23rd September 2019 at 00:25.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    The BB instructions do say to remove the OEM bar weights - Iím not sure why because it is NOT required and has no effect on installation or performance. Itís a very easy install on the 700.

The Givi mirror mount scheme is not that durable. The right hand bracket I had cracked after about a year. And they would be of no use in a drop or slow speed fall.

Senior Member OEM hand guards FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    I have the SW-M Kobra's, used the OEM/existing weights etc. that came on the bike. No issues. I liked the styling better, the metal spine, and the available LED insert to provide another set of DRL & indicator lights. Install was prettytr straight forward.
    --
    Fez

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    The BB instructions do say to remove the OEM bar weights - Iím not sure why because it is NOT required and has no effect on installation or performance. Itís a very easy install on the 700.

The Givi mirror mount scheme is not that durable. The right hand bracket I had cracked after about a year. And they would be of no use in a drop or slow speed fall.

Good info, I'm also using the BB with the stock weights and no problems