Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: brake pad suggestions

Bike: 2019 nc750x. DCT

brake pad suggestions

Did an advanced search, but didnt pickup a thread in 7 pages of older results with any concrete suggestions from experience.

I find the front brake adequate in city and occasional highway braking.

Just did 1000km mountain tour, and have to say the front brake is less than adequate at times.

Not much 'bite' and need very firm grip for less than adequate results. Low rumbling and feel it working when piling on, but have had much better brakes on other bikes.

Have used EBC HH sintered in the past, and they were an improvement over stock on the bikes I used them on, however Id like something more aggressive.

Just wondering if there are suggestions on other brands of pads (and model of pad) that give a very firm bite right off, and keep biting harder the more you grip.

Senior Member brake pad suggestions dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    OEM front pads are HH sintered metal. Sorry, no suggestions for improvement. Expectations?
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey NCx19.. A quick search on FleaBay shows a full set of pads(F+R) can be had for $10.00-$58.00. Thanks for the post as i was considering replacing both of mine as well. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    OEM front pads are HH sintered metal. Sorry, no suggestions for improvement. Expectations?
    no way Sure puts a damper on the EBCs

Hoping someone /s have tried other brands (eg Brembo) with positive results and will chime in.

Senior Member brake pad suggestions dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by NCX19 View Post
    no way Sure puts a damper on the EBCs

Hoping someone /s have tried other brands (eg Brembo) with positive results and will chime in.
    HH is a range of course. Perhaps an aftermarket brand has better stopping power albeit at the expense of progressive feel or fade resistance.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    I can't get past the need for a brake pad more aggressive than the EBC HH pads. Man, those are really aggressive pads. Throw some EBC pads on front and rear, flush your brake fluid front and rear, and rock out. I've ran EBC HH pads on 2 different track bikes, a 2002 GSXR 750 and a 2007 ZX10R, also run them on my 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 bagger currently. I will eventually put some on my NC as well.

My 2013 NC700X has just over 10k miles on it and what I assume is the stock brake pads both front and rear. I am doing a track day on it tomorrow, with those pads. Flushed the brake fluid today, because I'm sure it hasn't been done since it was bought new.

Throw on some EBC pads and squeeze that brake lever, it will stop on a dime! Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yep Tacoma, I've discovered the british NC forum too, and there are 4 posts I found on brake pads, and EBC HH seem to be the choice. Brembo SAs are perhaps a bit more bite and are more expensive .. however only last 2500 miles!! Ive used EBC HH on a couple bikes in the past and found em very decent. Was looking for suggestions based on others experience, and maybe looking for a unicorn finding something better rated ... the stock grip is just not enough for me.

OK $49 Canuk bucks to the door, and I have my EBC HH fronts installed.
    First couple applications disappointing. Number 3 to 6 each got better. Progressively doing harder applications, but short 2-3 second squeezes.

Way to early to see the full effect, however they are now very pleasantly giving great feedback and increased stopping power. Will be doing the rear next for sure.
    Last bike was a Ducati with 2 large rotors and Brembo M50 monoblock calipers. OK - so not that awesome. However the EBCs are already much above par than the OEM pads. Very worthwhile upgrade. Soft braking is not adversely affected, and 2 finger pulls now have a lot of effect. Hope to update in a week of riding, but can only get better as they bed in.