Thread: New Laam seat

Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT

New Laam seat

Hello everyone - new seats are a common topic of discussion so I thought I'd add to it. Melensdad just did a great review on his new Corbin so I'll copy his format and try to do justice to my new seat.

I recently had it custom made with Laam Seats in Redding , CA. I live near enough that I was able to do a ride in and he built it while I waited, which was awesome because he told me he was booked up through August with mail -in seat orders.

The seat is fantastic, I'm quite pleased with the results. It's a wider seat as you can see, and the weight distribution is so much better. After a couple of slight mods to the foam I was able to cure the forward slope as well. I also managed to maintain adequate room for my, uh... juevos rancheros, which is always a consideration.

We ended up making it a little higher than stock, so it's not quite as easy to get my feet down (5" 7", 30 inch inseam) but I also appreciate a little less knee bend, so it's a trade I was willing to make. We discussed it as he was building it and I tried it both ways, I went for a little more padding so it's probably half an inch or so higher than stock.

It's definitely not a hard seat, it's firm enough to support you yet cushioned, so it's firm, and cushioned, at the same time. I had a Sargent on another bike and it was brutal. Great shape so very comfortable that way, but hard. Hitting a bump was like getting disciplined with a board. Not this seat. Bumps don't even phase me.

The material I chose is a leather-look vinyl, and I'm pleased to report it's not slippery, unlike my Sargent. The shape of the cover does produce a seam under my leg that after a while I notice, but it doesn't bother me. That's about the only slight ding I would give the seat. Other than that, it's just freaking great.

On the stock seat I could go about an hour, maybe a little more, before I needed to get off. I rode off from Seth's and didn't stop for two hours, and that's because I needed gas. My butt was ready for more. (alright, that sounded weird...) I'm planning on some longer trips pretty soon and I know I'll be comfortable now.

So, overall, I'm thrilled. Seat comfort is very subjective and there's not one seat that's ideal for everyone, but if you're considering upgrading yours, I would highly recommend Laam Seats.

Sorry about the pics being sideways, not sure what's up with that.

New Laam seat-img_3875-jpgNew Laam seat-img_3874-jpgNew Laam seat-img_3872-jpg

Bike: 2015 NC750X ABS
    Very nice seat, I am envious! It might send my seat next winter. What is the cost? What is your weight if you don't mind.

$400. I weigh about 170 lbs.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    That is a very nice looking saddle!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator New Laam seat 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Looks nice! I’m too far away for a ride-in custom build, unfortunately. Report back on how it does with trips that are 2000+ miles, if you ever do that.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Kudos, i have never heard of Laam seats though i have been to Redding several times over the years. Good to know as another resource.

I have about 5k on my RDL now and am still enjoying the comfort of that seat. I have several trips on it already, a 2600, 1630, several day trips of 200-500 miles. :{P
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Looks nice! I’m too far away for a ride-in custom build, unfortunately. Report back on how it does with trips that are 2000+ miles, if you ever do that.
    Will do. It may be a while before I can plan on that far but I've got a few rides planned that will be around 1,000 or so. That should provide some pretty good feedback for how well it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Kudos, i have never heard of Laam seats though i have been to Redding several times over the years. Good to know as another resource.

I have about 5k on my RDL now and am still enjoying the comfort of that seat. I have several trips on it already, a 2600, 1630, several day trips of 200-500 miles. :{P
    I hear RDL is a great seat too and oddly enough, they're located about an hour north of Redding in. Must be the custom seat go-to destination of the west coast.