Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT

I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

Not everything is installed, not everything is even delivered, but I think I'm done.

I think my NC750x is pretty much set for travel. Looking at somewhere between a 2500 and a 6500 mile ride this summer. I know that is a big spread. But plans are for Lake Michigan + Lake Superior circle tour. Those two lakes will be roughly 2500 miles. If we continue Eastbound we could pick up some or all of the other Great Lakes and potentially do a full Great Lakes Circle tour. We need to firm up our travel dates. Our goal is for a leisurely ride, roughly 250 miles per day plus some 'tourist' days. So this planned trip is anywhere from 10 to 30 days depending. Our original plan was a mid-August departure but our daughter may return home from San Jose for a long Labor Day weekend, which would force us to 1) cut the trip short or 2) change the departure date. In any case we are flexible.

Here is the Farkle list:

• Hepco & Becker side and top case racks.
    • Hepco & Becker GOBI side and top boxes.
    • removable luggage bags for the H&B side boxes
    • LED multi-function license plate frame for added visibility (running, stop, turn, plate illumination)
    • Denali LED front facing Aux lights for added visibility
    • Madstadt windshield
    • Ram Mount (lockable type) with 'Quad Lock' iPhone case for navigation
    • Corbin seat
    • Desert Fox 5 liter fuel bladder
    • Dale's Rack rear seat replacement
    • Gibidi (Cobrra/Nemo2) chain oiler
    • USB outlet in Frunk
    • GoCruise 2 (not sure I actually like it but it is functional, wish I would have purchased the Atlas)
    • Grip Puppies
    • Cramp Buster
    • Replacement brake handle (only because my bike tipped over on my front lawn and broke the OEM brake handle when it hit the grass!)

I did purchase a BEELINE arrow navigation device, but that may or may not arrive anytime soon. It's a Kickstarter gimmick that I wanted to try. If it works it will be a perfect KISS navigation aid. If not then I waisted about $100.

There are plenty of other accessories for travel that were purchased but are not actually part of, or installed on the bike. Things like the Cardo Palktalk Slim headsets that work with the SCENIC navigation software that is installed on the iPhone and will be used for route directions. Also various cable locks, straps, dry bags, etc.

There are many other things that I believe I could add but I'm not sure they would increase actual utility without also increasing weight. I did consider adding engine guards, skid plates, radiator guard, etc but opted against it. Some of the guards would be nice, and if we were taking more gravel roads then I would have added those. My wife really prefers to stay on asphalt so, in a nod to her preferences, skipping the guards that, IN THEORY, will not really be needed for where we plan to ride.

Also purchased real rain gear for the trip. For local rides we don't really need it because we can avoid riding in most rain situations pretty easily. Upgraded all the armor to CE Level 2 in all the riding gear during the process, from knee to elbow to shoulder to back.

Actually purchased pretty much 2 of all the above. My wife rides an NC700x. She and I pretty much got exactly the same stuff on the bikes except she has GIVI side cases and no top case. She doesn't get the Corbin seat either, didn't want it. Her bike is lowered with a Soupy's lowering link + adjustable kickstand. I also installed LED lights into her GIVI V37 cases instead of installing a multi-function license plate frame. She is not getting a Dale's Rack either since we intend to have the dry bag strapped to my bike for trips.
    Last edited by melensdad; 24th June 2019 at 12:03.

Senior Member I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???
    I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    OK... Go Ride...
    >Thom
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Olythom View Post
    OK... Go Ride...
    >Thom
    Been doing that every free bit of time. Got a couple short 3-5 day trips planned for July too.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    agreed, you are ready freddy(Bob)! :{P
    Last edited by Rapturee; 3rd July 2019 at 16:23. Reason: rented fingers, though my lease is about up
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I did purchase a BEELINE arrow navigation device, but that may or may not arrive anytime soon. It's a Kickstarter gimmick that I wanted to try. If it works it will be a perfect KISS navigation aid. If not then I waisted about $100.
    I am also eagerly awaiting my Beeline Moto. Please let the us know when yours arrives, I'll do the same. I don't want to watch a map and refuse to put my phone in my ear so this seems like the perfect solution.

Corbin seat arrived while I was out of town.
    Dale's Rack arrived the day I returned home.

Installed both yesterday, but we had lightning storms so didn't ride.

The only thing I'm waiting to arrive, so I can install, is the chain oiler.

Took it on a 100 mile test ride today. Corbin recommends a 1000 mile break in period. Based on 100 miles in the seat I have 2 major observations.

1) This seat is already 10, maybe 100, times more comfortable than the stock Honda seat.
    2) The leather surface is slippery. Under medium braking I slide forward. Not a huge deal. But it's just something I noticed. My Rev-it pants have seat grippers on them and they didn't do anything to hold me in place on the leather surface of the Corbin.

Roger that Bob, brake hard once and Chuck and the boys will be on top of the Frunk(haha)! I too had that same issue, i applied several coats of Leather conditioner and that did seem to help. :{)

Pics too please, let's see them Farkles buddy!

Bike: 14 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    So this planned trip is anywhere from 10 to 30 days depending.
    My goal is to get to a point in my life where I can take an open ended trip like this. Must be nice. Have fun, enjoy it for the rest of us who are stuck at work I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more pictures until I can get my Photobucket account to work again. It says I have lots of space available (over 1 gig) but won't let me upload because my storage is full???

Quote Originally Posted by spads25 View Post
    My goal is to get to a point in my life where I can take an open ended trip like this. Must be nice. Have fun, enjoy it for the rest of us who are stuck at work I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???
    Retire young and travel!

Exactly!!, That has been my plan for years. I have had far too many friends/relatives that waited too long(IMHO) to "retire" and go enjoy life, travel, ride or whatever. They all died or got seriously sick and then were unable to do all of those things they had planned for so long of their loves to finally be able to do!!

So, "Note to Self", start doing those things now, early in life, with the ones you love and don't wait, as there will never be a "perfect time" in most of our lives. So February of last year I found a smokin' deal on a NC700 manual and bought it! And i have been putting farkles on it(as funds allow) and a lot of miles on it ever since. I too have it right where i want it and really "need" nothing else for it. It is a blast to ride and Ride I do! :{)

So, get out and RIDE!! :{P