Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

Senior Member I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel??? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel???

I have the go cruise and like it - especially at its price. I had a Kaoko on the BMW 700GS I rented in Alaska and I liked it a lot, but it wasnít worth the almost 10x price difference.

BUT - itís important to understand that NONE of these devices maintain SPEED - they just hold the throttle in position. Sometimes that maintains speed reasonably well (in the flats) and sometimes it doesnít (up or down hill). So we need to be clear in our terminology - cruise control in a throttle by wire bike can maintain speed by adjusting throttle as necessary. Throttle locks, of any variety, do not maintain speed, except to the degree a constant throttle will do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel??? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    GoCruise lets you set the throttle. If you brake or roll the throttle forward the GoCruise will deactivate.
    My GoCruise doesn't deactivate when the throttle is rolled on or off. I have the set screw friction set to simply hold the new position.

Can use it on flat highways, light traffic, and up and down grades with no issues.

I do that by simply keeping the friction set reasonably firm and use my throttle hand index finger to keep the GoCruise against the brake lever when twisting the throttle either back (to add more throttle) or forward (less throttle) at the same time.

Index finger on GoCruise to keep it against the brake lever.
    Adjust throttle to new speed, either rolling on or off.

Relax hand and GoCruise is locked in new throttle position.

After using it for 50,000 miles or so on the NC do I wish I had a true electronic cruise similar to the one on my GL1800? It would be nice, but for $20 I'm pretty happy with this throttle lock and it does 90% of what I need it to do.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 2nd August 2019 at 15:42.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    I do that by simply keeping the friction set reasonably firm and use my throttle hand index finger to keep the GoCruise against the brake lever when twisting the throttle either back (add more throttle) or forward (less throttle) at the same time.
    Bingo and that is the key fault of the system.

I've got rheumatoid arthritis and tennis elbow and that sort of manipulation is actually painful, in addition to generally being awkward.

The GoCruise/GoCruise2 both work the same way. You have to keep them pressed down against the brake lever. Roll the throttle forward or apply the brake and it deactivates.

You have to manually reset it.

You are doing that in the way you are gripping it and pressing against the GoCruise with your finger. In essence, you are manually resetting it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I have the go cruise and like it - especially at its price. I had a Kaoko on the BMW 700GS I rented in Alaska and I liked it a lot, but it wasnít worth the almost 10x price difference.

BUT - itís important to understand that NONE of these devices maintain SPEED - they just hold the throttle in position. Sometimes that maintains speed reasonably well (in the flats) and sometimes it doesnít (up or down hill). So we need to be clear in our terminology - cruise control in a throttle by wire bike can maintain speed by adjusting throttle as necessary. Throttle locks, of any variety, do not maintain speed, except to the degree a constant throttle will do so.
    Exactly and I totally agree.

Senior Member I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel??? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I've got rheumatoid arthritis and tennis elbow and that sort of manipulation is actually painful, in addition to generally being awkward.
    I can understand how just tapping a button would be much easier for you...
    Glad you found something that works!
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Senior Member I think I'm done Farkeling the NC750x for travel??? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I have the go cruise and like it - especially at its price. I had a Kaoko on the BMW 700GS I rented in Alaska and I liked it a lot, but it wasn’t worth the almost 10x price difference.

BUT - it’s important to understand that NONE of these devices maintain SPEED - they just hold the throttle in position. Sometimes that maintains speed reasonably well (in the flats) and sometimes it doesn’t (up or down hill). So we need to be clear in our terminology - cruise control in a throttle by wire bike can maintain speed by adjusting throttle as necessary. Throttle locks, of any variety, do not maintain speed, except to the degree a constant throttle will do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear you and I have had and now own a bike with electronic cruise control. There is no comparison for holding an exact speed in all terrain conditions but the $20 Go Cruise does an amazingly good job with minimal throttle hand work. I remember my dad driving our first CC equipped car and with his penchant to save gas how he only used the CC up hill and released it going down the hill because letting gravity help gave better gas mileage. The car wasn't held to a set speed going downhill and the extra momentum helped going up the next hill. The GC acts the same way and that's why I describe it as half a cruise control.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    FWIW here are some of my personal Farkle observations:

Corbin seat is a massive improvement over the stock seat and well worth the money. Corbin recommends 1000+ miles to break in the seat. Probably close to 3000 miles on the seat now and its just a wonderful place to rest my butt. No, it is not a La-Z-boy, nor is it a Goldwing seat. But it sure as heck beats the stock seat and helps turn the NC into a lightweight cruiser.

Madstadt windscreens are probably some of the most under appreciated additions for highway rides. Once it is dialed in, it just works like magic. They work too well in slow city/commuter traffic but out on the road they are wonderful.

Givi 'V35' side cases are good cases but the hinge on the bottom and clamshell opening is sometimes a pain. Pretty easy to dump everything out of the cases, internal luggage bags are a great accessory to these cases. Also the locking mechanism can be difficult to open if the cases are full.

Hepco & Becker 'Gobi' side/top cases are tough as nails but the internal shape is not quite rectangular and if using bags in the cases they don't easily slip into/out of the cases. I still would recommend these over most of the aluminum cases as they can take a fall without having to be beaten back into shape.

Quad Lock phone case/mount works great. Easy on, easy off, very secure. Slim, fits in your pocket. Mine is attached to a Ram mount and sitting above the LCD dash panel so I can see my navigation without having to look down.

Packsafe S.S. cargo net is probably the most unneeded accessary I've brought with me. It's probably a deterrent but more of a pain to use. Scratches everything it rubs agains, and in reality is not very secure, but likely is more of a visual security device than a practical one.

Denali LED DRL auxiliary lights are awesome. Expensive. But they are BRIGHT without being blinding. They are visible from front or side and add a lot to the visual impact of the front of the bikes.

cheap LED auxiliary lights on rear side of the H&B boxes purchased from Amazon are great during low light conditions but not bright enough to really be noticed when the sun is beaming down. Seriously you can see these on foggy, misty, cloudy days. They are great in the pre-dawn or dusk/night hours but during the day they just don't put out enough light to make a real difference in increasing visibility... since 99% of my riding is during the daylight hours I cannot recommend them. I will probably upgrade these to some higher powered LEDs at some point after the trip.

AdMore LED aux lighting in the GIVI V35 cases these are better than than the cheap Amazon LEDs but are still not great. They cost a pretty penny too. Not as good as the Denali lights. Better than the inexpensive Amazon lights.

Dale's Rack love this thing for its ability to let me refuel without having to take the waterproof duffle off the rack! If I strapped it to a rear seat I'd be unloading it 2x per day when we refuel.

RocStraps over priced bungee cords, but way better than regular bungees. I was skeptical. But I'm sold on them now.

Grip Puppies cheap and effective. Just buy them. You will thank yourself 1000 times.

And the one thing that I've never tested, but was afraid to leave home without bringing ... Desert Fox 5 Liter Fuel Bladders ... so far we've only been close to running out of fuel 1 time and that was in central Michigan. We have had no problem finding fuel in Canada and have never dropped below 2 'bars' on the tank before finding a spot to refuel. The key up here seems to be refuel before you need to refuel and you will not get into trouble. Stations are far apart. But if you ask about future places to refuel, each time you fill up, you can plan your stops worry free. So with any luck I will get home from this trip with 2 brand new, unused, Desert Fox 5 Liter Fuel Bladders.
    Last edited by melensdad; 2nd August 2019 at 18:37.