Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sidestand question............

Senior Member Sidestand question............
    Sidestand question............
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    After I wore out two sets of 3/8" drive, 12-pt sockets, I started to replace them with 6-point sockets and have lived happily ever after. :-)

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Sidestand.........

It's Alive........It's Alive.........

Just got back from the Honda shop and I can finally ride this damn thing.....

This week I finally got the lowering links on and that is when I started asking about the sidestand and I really appreciate all of the responses about that.

This morning I rolled the bike off the centerstand and the bike came to rest on the stock sidestand and it was almost vertical. As I got on the bike it tipped to the right but my stoop caught me and the bike. Not even a scratch on either of us. At 68 I probably would not heal quickly.

At the Honda shop they said thirty minutes to put on the new 500s centerstand and sidestand. Almost two hours later they said they had finally finished. It seems the tech wasn't familiar with the DCT model and there was some issue.

The head service tech, who is about 5'3" tall, was able to put it on the centerstand and to roll it off by himself, but he is about 40 years younger than me. He rides a Ducati Monster and showed me that he can't even get both toes on the ground on his bike.

Leaving the shop felt sooooo much better now that I am on the balls of my feet and not on tip toes.

I did notice that putting the sidestand down might take a bit of a learning curve since I put one of those GIVI sidestand feet on the new sidestand and it scrapes as I lower it.

The city slogan here in Columbia, SC for years was 'Famously Hot' and it is slated to be 100 or above all weekend, but I am going to try to get in at least a hundred miles.

Thanks again for everything and have a great holiday weekend.

Slo_Rider
    Last edited by Slo_Rider; 30th May 2019 at 19:26.

Senior Member Sidestand question............
    Sidestand question............
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Slo_Rider - maybe the school got a commission on all the 12-pt socket sets sold! :-)

If you look at the working end of a 12-pt and 6-pt sockets in the same size, you'll see a much more substantial wall thickness on the 6-pt version. They are not only stronger but also kinder to the nut or bolt head because they won't slip.

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Sidestand...............

DirtFlier,

As I said earlier, that was 1973 so you guys are probably right and I am probably just remembering wrong. But it was the GM training school in El Paso so who knows......mostly we just worked on each others cars.

The six point do seem to make more sense after all that you guys have said.

Hopefully I will not be doing much wrenching on the bike. It has been siting around for months gathering dust instead of miles. I do have some SW Motech pegs to put on but that should be doable, even for my ancient self.

Have a nice weekend.

Slo_Rider