Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What to do first???

Bike: NC750X
    Now that the MadStad windscreen is installed and the little deflectors just below and behind the windscreen, it's now apparent that the little deflectors are probably going to conflict with the hand guards. There seems to be only two solutions to this future installation of the hand guards... 1) eliminate the deflectors, or... 2) raise the handlebars.

If you have been down this path before, what was your solution or work around?
    Last edited by Vinny; 25th November 2018 at 03:35.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    I think ROX risers are the typical solution

Super Moderator What to do first??? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Agree with the above. Risers can remove the interference, and for most people, improve the ergonomics. You can go up to 2 inches and retain stock cables, but you may need to do a little rerouting (on a manual, anyway; I can’t speak for DCT). The fixed 30mm risers you can get for $20 work well, too.
    Last edited by 670cc; 25th November 2018 at 06:33.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member What to do first??? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I suggest that Rox risers are not the way to go. I know, I bought the Rox risers first.

I took these pics this morning showing the ample clearance between guards and the Madstad system. I'm using a SW0Motech 30 mm up and "can't remember mm back" riser.What to do first???-img_2723-jpgWhat to do first???-img_2726-jpg
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Yesterday was the longest ride yet on the new bike. Coming off a touring bike... the secondary and forest service roads were beckoning me. Let's just say I really didn't know what I was getting myself into... like others have posted, the suspension needs some adjustment... way to harsh. The seat felt like cement after a 100 miles, and I'll have to visit the dentist soon as I don't think I have any fillings left in my teeth! The stock tires are not aggressive enough to do a lot of forest service road riding as I noticed them squirm a lot in the mud... or not really mud... just wet dirt. I cut one curve a little short to give clearance for some other riders and almost lost it in the wet leaves.... but that was my shortsightedness.

Not really knocking the bike, just noting things that need attention. The tires will be changed when these are worn out... hopefully won't take that long when spring hits. The suspension will be addressed soon enough but not until most of the equipment is installed and I get a clearer picture of what it needs with the extra weight. After the 142 miles yesterday, it's clear highway pegs could be useful to give the butt a needed change of position. I did get off the bike once at about the 80 mile point... but probably not long enough to give my body a chance to rest... was still on the forest roads.

Other than butt fatigue, I did notice some slight fatigue in my shoulders... so the risers will probably address that issue also. I am really liking the bike and excited about getting it tuned ergonomically for a better ride.

Will be looking for suggestions for tires from riders who frequent back country roads. Also will be entertaining advice on suspension adjustment/mods.

Thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge so far!
    Last edited by Vinny; 26th November 2018 at 04:59.

Super Moderator What to do first??? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    In regards to suggestions for back country riding on the NC, I will say from my experience that you can only expect so much. I went as far as owning two NC700X models, one set up with Ohlins shock, RaceTech emulators out front, Shinko 705 tires, huge skid plate, and whatever else might make the NC semi off-road worthy. After riding rough forest roads and unmaintained mountain roads for 18 months, I came to the conclusion that the NC just ain’t no dirt bike, so I bought a CRF250L Rally instead for the forest road riding.

My point is not to bash the NC, as it was not designed for riding unimproved roads. I’m just saying that with the limited suspension travel available, the weight, and the little 17” front wheel, the NC will be quite limited for that purpose, even if you pour $1500 worth of mods into it.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post

My point is not to bash the NC, as it was not designed for riding unimproved roads. I’m just saying that with the limited suspension travel available, the weight, and the little 17” front wheel, the NC will be quite limited for that purpose, even if you pour $1500 worth of mods into it.
    +1 on that one. I do agree that NC700 is not a dirt bike at all. Yes, you can do anything with it. It all depends on your skill and on your butt's comfort level. NC is the best commuter and that is where it excels. The suspension is way too harsh for even minor off road use and the bike is not that comfy for long hauls. I took it to sand, gravel, dirt, grass and even some mud on stock tires and stock suspension. I also took it for some long rides across multiple states. It did OK, but not even close to what CFR, KLR or similar can do. And, honestly, I dont understand when people start spending lots of cash on off-road upgrades for NC. For 2k you can get a used dirt street legal dedicated off-road bike you will have a blast with. I ended up getting a Tiger for long travels and some off road usage. Might still keep the NC for commuting since I got it so cheap and it is just a good working horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    +1 on that one. I do agree that NC700 is not a dirt bike at all. Yes, you can do anything with it. It all depends on your skill and on your butt's comfort level. NC is the best commuter and that is where it excels. The suspension is way too harsh for even minor off road use and the bike is not that comfy for long hauls. I took it to sand, gravel, dirt, grass and even some mud on stock tires and stock suspension. I also took it for some long rides across multiple states. It did OK, but not even close to what CFR, KLR or similar can do. And, honestly, I dont understand when people start spending lots of cash on off-road upgrades for NC. For 2k you can get a used dirt street legal dedicated off-road bike you will have a blast with. I ended up getting a Tiger for long travels and some off road usage. Might still keep the NC for commuting since I got it so cheap and it is just a good working horse.
    I am keeping an open mind about the NC in that I am stepping back from a Goldwing and three ST's before that. Wanted something "universal" that can do a little bit of everything. So far I'm happy with it and not expecting it to excel at everything. I'm still in the discovery stages of this bike and do appreciate all comments about the NC. Trying to make it as broad a platform as I can without adding another bike for now.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I would look at minimum 36 liter side cases and a 42-52 liter top box for versatility in traveling and camping. I toured the first trips on the 2012 NC with a 46 liter top box and a large roll-top dry bag. Only later did I add a pair of 36 liter panniers (side cases). If Givi, I suggest MonoKey and not MonoLock items.

SW Motech Alu Rack with a Givi adapter plate make up the luggage rack, with SW Motech quick detach luggage racks for the side cases. I had a Givi top box mount on 1111FZ Mono Rack Arms and PL1111 luggage racks on the first NC. All SW Mo Tech stuff on the second one.

Here is a forum search with lots of ideas: https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/se...196&pp=&page=4

Lots of pics: Pictures of Various Honda NC700X Saddlebags
    I scored a great deal on a pair of Givi Trekker Outback 42 liter side cases for $444 from twisted throttle. It was too good a deal to pass up. They had a pair of 37 liter on sale for $430. No rack yet and no top trunk... that can wait for a bargain as well.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    That is a crazy good price on the Trekker boxes. You got a great deal.

So you are clearly setting up you NC for some long distance travel. What are your plans? Dream trips?