Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Fuel

Bike: Triumph Trophy - soon to be NC750X DCT

Spare Fuel

One thing that concerns me with regard to the bike design is the size of the fuel tank. I wanted to have an "ace up my sleeve" with regard to an extra fuel reserve.

I already had a 1litre fuel bottle then I spotted a tube on a friends bike that he uses for tools etc. I tried out the 1 litre bottle and it fitted better that I could have hoped for.

Found the supplier and bought me one. Only around 10 bucks.

There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.

It looks bigger than it is in the first picture but it clears the tyre with room to spare.
    Attached Images Attached Images Spare Fuel-fuel-2-jpg Spare Fuel-fuel1-jpg 

Bike: NC750X
    Hi,
    Could you tell me where you got the tube and fuel can from please.
    Thanks

Super Moderator Spare Fuel 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by iaink View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Here are two other threads on this subject that can provide ideas. There are still other threads if you search for them.

Extra fuel storage. MSR bottles mounted.

Mounting Tool Tubes inside of Givi panniers
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st November 2017 at 06:54.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2012 NC700X & many others.....
    If one wants to make their own tubes, 3" or 4" PVC pipe works well. The threads 670cc mentioned above may already cover this (I did not read thru all the pages). While PVC is not as glamorous as the Agri-Tubes, the PVC can be as long as you need/want. The one I mounted on my vstrom is 15" - 18" long. It can hold a fuel bottle plus lots of tools, tire patch kits..... whatever. There are 2-3 different ways to incorporate a cap and a mounting system with PVC. To me, that's part of the "fun"........fabricating your own little designs in a farkle!!

Bike: Triumph Trophy - soon to be NC750X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by iaink View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Google "Tractor Document tube" 13 Pounds in the UK, 16 Dollars in the US. Shop around for better prices. The 1 Litre Fuel can is available from Go Camping in the UK.

1 Litre equates to 0.26 US Gallons. I'll let you estimate your own range

I decided to go for a single tube and decided to mount it on the left hand side, away from the exhaust

Mounting it behind the Pannier allows a discrete locking screw to be added, stopping anyone helping themselves when the bike's parked. Spraying the tube black covered up the stencilled yellow instructions that are emblazoned on the tube.

Zip ties or cable ties are designed for precisely that - tying cables. If something more substantial is required, stainless steel ties are available. These are "non releasable" and should not be used after reading 50 Shades of Grey. (Don't ask me how I know this)

I like to carry a bit of spare fuel. I've managed to save several rider's bacon on the side of the road.

Can't leave a man stranded. (I've yet to save a fair damsel but I live in hope!)
    Last edited by Tiny Tim; 1st November 2017 at 08:28.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    I don't worry about fuel unless going off road on fire roads where getting lost is very possible. Out west going 55 in the mountains the NC made 87 mpg. In Illinois it makes 70! With 3 gallons before your .7 gallon reserve you theoretically have 210 mile range and if in Illinois you have a reserve of around 40 to 50. Anywhere east of the Mississippi river you should be fine. Out west never had a problem as long as we filled up before the third bar or better if we knew fuel stop was farther away. So I am interested to hear from folks that have put these gas bottles on. Has anyone ever used them or is it more for peace of mind?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Spare Fuel dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    For me it was peace of mind. The tune of the NC700X's mpg is affected to a large degree by wind and temperature as well as speed. Poking along it gets great mileage but when it's cold and running against a headwind and I needed to make some distance at 75-80 mph it would make 40-45 mpg and show reserve at 130 miles. I'd plan fuel stops by 150 but if something went wrong I'd still have two liters to fall back on. That said, I did not install tool tubes on the second NC. I have a 1.6 gallon auxiliary tank mounted on a shelf I swap out for the pillion seat. It's plumbed into the main tank and gives me 250 miles of range at 80 mph.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    For me it was peace of mind. The tune of the NC700X's mpg is affected to a large degree by wind and temperature as well as speed. Poking along it gets great mileage but when it's cold and running against a headwind and I needed to make some distance at 75-80 mph it would make 40-45 mpg and show reserve at 130 miles. I'd plan fuel stops by 150 but if something went wrong I'd still have two liters to fall back on. That said, I did not install tool tubes on the second NC. I have a 1.6 gallon auxiliary tank mounted on a shelf I swap out for the pillion seat. It's plumbed into the main tank and gives me 250 miles of range at 80 mph.
    That would be nice. How hard is it to swap out the seat for the tank? Custom made tank?

Senior Member Spare Fuel StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Connecting a secondary tank is by far the most efficient way to carry more fuel. For those of us not so mechanically inclined (me), i think carrying two fuel containers on the pillion seat would work well.

Rotopax [HERE] containers for those who can afford them and
    (2) 1 GAL. plastic gas storage containers (Walmart) for the rest of us.

I've always admired the way OCR mounted his Rotopax. (can't find a photo just now)

Mounting Rototpax any old where just isn't a good idea because liquids are heavy.
    Strapping them to the pillion seat would minimize the weight problem and make it slightly more difficult to gas up...
    but not a lot more difficult...

I think I'll go with that when the time comes. Most of my adventuring is done on Interstates, so gas is always available.
    (well... mostly.... except in Texas late on a Sunday night... this California rider was not used to gas stations that actually close.... hint!... mostly they leave the pumps on anyway so CC folks can still buy gas.)
    Last edited by StratTuner; 1st November 2017 at 18:37.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member Spare Fuel dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    That would be nice. How hard is it to swap out the seat for the tank? Custom made tank?

Some of us have messed around with auxiliary tanks on the 700. I use the Acerbis 1.6 gallon tank that is readily available. Ld_rider has a nice metal fuel cell done very tidy, also LBS did one that looked factory. Mine is rather sketchy but it works on IBA rides. Here is a few advanced search find pages (upper right corner of our forum pages):

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/se...archid=2093164

LBS Fuel Cell V1.5

Temporary fuel cell plus 2 gallons

Heading to the start of the 2017IBR
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80