Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spare Fuel

Bike: Triumph Trophy - soon to be NC750X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    I don't worry about fuel unless going off road on fire roads where getting lost is very possible. Out west going 55 in the mountains the NC made 87 mpg. In Illinois it makes 70! With 3 gallons before your .7 gallon reserve you theoretically have 210 mile range and if in Illinois you have a reserve of around 40 to 50. Anywhere east of the Mississippi river you should be fine. Out west never had a problem as long as we filled up before the third bar or better if we knew fuel stop was farther away. So I am interested to hear from folks that have put these gas bottles on. Has anyone ever used them or is it more for peace of mind?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Times I ran out of fuel myself and had to use my spare supply?: 0

Times I came across a stranded biker who HAD ran out of fuel and was able to help : 2

That and the added peace of mind that it gives me when the fuel gauge light starts flashing make it a no-brainer for me, at that cost anyway.

Plus, I need to safely and securely carry fuel for my Coleman camp stove which was the primary driver in all this.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    Times I ran out of fuel myself and had to use my spare supply?: 0

Times I came across a stranded biker who HAD ran out of fuel and was able to help : 2

That and the added peace of mind that it gives me when the fuel gauge light starts flashing make it a no-brainer for me, at that cost anyway.

Plus, I need to safely and securely carry fuel for my Coleman camp stove which was the primary driver in all this.
    Yes, makes good sense if you are using white gas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bike: R100
    Not the NC700X, but this looks very nice:

Honda Africa Twin CRF1000L (CT-ATR) – Camel ADV Products

Senior Member Spare Fuel
    Spare Fuel
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    [There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.Tiny Tim]

Please elaborate on the "lock screw."

Bike: Triumph Trophy - soon to be NC750X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    [There was room for it inboard of the Givi Pannier Rack and I also managed to install a lock screw.Tiny Tim]

Please elaborate on the "lock screw."
    Being an Engineer and a pessimist, I didn't want to loose the lid to the tube through vibration. The tube is angled down slightly so if it started to work loose, the result is inevitable.

Synching it up "a little tighter" could prove to be just as bad. Trying to unscrew a tight lid with cold wet hands and a bike out of gas.....

So, I drilled a hole and forced in a sholdered 6mm nut into the hole from the tube side. This I then araldited in place and drilled a corresponding dimple in the lid in the required position. I marked the lid and the tube with a witness mark so it was on in just the right position then inserted a 6mm wing bolt into the nut until it seated in the lid. One more turn for tightness and Bingo!

Now the lid can't rattle loose and the lid can't be removed unless the pannier is removed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Spare Fuel-fuel-3-jpg 

Member Spare Fuel
    Bike: klx250, drz400, nc750
    Mine fits just under the sw motech rear rack. I use sw motech quick release side racks and soft bags. From my trip to see the total eclipse of the sun.

Spare Fuel-image1-jpgSpare Fuel-image2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Spare Fuel-image2-jpg Spare Fuel-image1-jpg 
    Last edited by summitx; 12th November 2017 at 18:00.