Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boosterplug anyone ?

Bike: NC700X
    I can tell you this, all my riding buddies have BMW's and have had this device for years and it hasn't reverted at all as eluded to by some. I did some searching a while ago and there are tons of forums where people have dissected this thing over the cheap knock-offs and even WebBikeWorld recommends it. I think mine was well worth the $150 to the point I registered here to dispel any misinformation about it. It's cheap, it works, it will continue to work, and the science is there. This device won't cure any problems, because the NC already has good fueling. What it will do is give you that extra "oomph" for very little coin if you like to tinker. The bike is already great as it is but I like to tinker and squeeze out whatever little I can, like overclocking a cpu.

2brnut2b: To answer your question my bike only has a K&N air filter, no other mods for performance. Ride safe all.

Fixed Idea Boosterplug anyone ?
    Boosterplug anyone ?
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
    This seems to be common on these type of gizmos. I went through the same type of thing when I tried the Icat on our DS bikes. I had put one on Cathy's Xt225 and it was a very noticeable improvement in power. Pulling the same hill the bike would consistently pull a higher gear. On my L I did not notice much difference other than my gas mileage seemed to go up a bit. I was told by many that it can't do anything and it was stupid to buy one.

So now we have two different users of the same device with dramatically different opinions. Now what?

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...

It does seem to be a fairly contentious issue; but then again what isn't with people, lol?

Only the individual can justify to themselves the "worth" of something. You can prove it isn't until you are blue in the face, yet have multitudes of happy customers offer up contrary opinions. In the end, who made the better choice? The guy who satisfied himself that it was a fraudulent snake oil cure all, or the placebo effect customer who truly does believe it works?

Can you then prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are happier than they are, by justifying how you spent the equivalent cost on something else instead? It's a killer loop of never ending humanness hee hee

Would I buy one? No. Would I waste the equivalent amount on some other demented thing no one in their right mind could justify? erm...
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Boosterplug anyone ? Cigar Mike's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    It does become even more confusing when some magazine or website gives a good review. Before I tried the Icat one of the dirt bike magazines tested it and gave it a good review. That in fact had me try it. If I had only used it on the L I may have not much of it. But on the XT it was more than just in our head. It did make a big difference.

I like the way the NC is. When I want more, I will buy another bike.

Senior Member Boosterplug anyone ? 2brnut2b's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X 12', NX250 88'
    Thanks again oldhack, I take your words on it and will maybe order one if the tax return is high enough.
    When you are dead, you don't even know you are dead.
    It's only pain for others.
    Same thing when you are stupid !

2brnut2b, That's the question !

#1 Elite Boosterplug anyone ?
    Boosterplug anyone ?
    Bike: NC-less
    So now we have two different users of the same device with dramatically different opinions. Now what?
    Ya pays ya nickel and ya takes ya choice. I'd only add that "just purchased" doesn't mean the ECU won't adapt the improvements back to zero. The one on my BMW worked for a few weeks. It gets back to the old state so slowly you don't notice. I could remove the battery leads for 15 minutes and it would "help" again. The AF-XIED fix stayed fixed. There could also be some expectation bias thrown in there. With the BMW unit there was a guy who data-logged the bike for months with an A/F sniffer up the pipe and he documented the return to prior lambda. But that was a BMW with Bosch Motronic. The Honda could have a less intelligent ECU. OR something.

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2

Maybe someone should take their NC with this device installed and get a dyno run for us to show the "improvements" and keep a log to show little or no loss of fuel mileage; otherwise it is likely just (at best) a non-programmable (preset) FI mapper. Would want to see the fuel:air ratio measurements across gears/RPMs also to see what it is really doing.

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhack View Post

Bloody marvelous job for a small resistor :-)[/I]
    Oh, so it is just a resistor circuit to create a rich condition according to this literature.... No thanks; prefer a real FI mapper.

Bike: NC700x
    decided to give the booster plug a try, installed this morning and went out for 80ish miles. Night and Day compared to yesterday's ride. No more popping on decel, no more surging down low, it's a game changer. I rode out to a dealer and took the Africa Twin for a test drive, you could notice the difference immediately by how lean the AT is compared to the boosterplug NC.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    My NC never pops on throttle release in the first place, nor does it surge; that's with aftermarket pipe and silencer ... If I felt I was having problems with transition from idle into early throttle control I'd probably look at the G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube or something similar. That type of product is often used on FI'd dualsports to make the early throttle response smoother and less problematic when riding technical trails, and the users have reported that it also just feels nicer on the street. They do have fitment for the NC.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums
    390 sounds better than 790 to me

Super Moderator Boosterplug anyone ? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by smithb9 View Post
    decided to give the booster plug a try, installed this morning and went out for 80ish miles. Night and Day compared to yesterday's ride. No more popping on decel, no more surging down low, it's a game changer. I rode out to a dealer and took the Africa Twin for a test drive, you could notice the difference immediately by how lean the AT is compared to the boosterplug NC.
    I've never experienced popping and surging on mine or any other NC I've ridden. Has your bike been modified in some other way? Perhaps it had a problem?
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250