Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Negative comments from others about DCT

Super Moderator Negative comments from others about DCT 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Electric or no, the motorcycle market is shrinking. The focus should be on keeping two wheeled vehicles “alive”, regardless of the means of powering them.

At each year I continue as a motorcycle rider, I cant help but notice how there are fewer fellow riders out on the road.

I think electric motorcycles are a great idea, but I never buy into new technology when it’s in it’s infancy. When the product is mature and reasonably priced (meaning that early adopters paid for it’s development), I’ll bite. That point in time has not yet come.
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th October 2019 at 21:50.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Congrats 42, Excited about your decision and am waiting with anticipation to see your new-to-you bike pictures!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    You will like the DCT. I have about 16,000 on mine. It would be higher but last year I bought a DCT Goldwing.
    Negative comments from others about DCT-131a3d00-18d4-4129-8539-0437205f01da-jpg
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Bike: NC750S
    I bought my SD specifically to get DCT because achy joints are making manual gear changing painful during all-day rides.

In the main I like DCT but find some slow speed turning manoeuvres more challenging without a clutch lever to feather. With DCT you need to trail the rear brake and keep the revs on at least 1500rpm or the clutch will disengage. For me that can be difficult because I need to use my right leg to hold the bike up when stopping, my left hip not being what it should be. Coming to a stop when going straight is fine because then using only the front brake at the final stage is OK.

Unlike later models my bike has only D and S auto modes. Generally I use only auto S because the engine feels sweeter when revving more than D often gives. For the smoothest riding I will use MT but only change up manually, letting the DCT do it's thing when slowing.

Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    ... For me that can be difficult because I need to use my right leg to hold the bike up when stopping, my left hip not being what it should be. Coming to a stop when going straight is fine because then using only the front brake at the final stage is OK...
    You'd need to install, depending on your local regulations, auxiliary or main left hand rear brake caliper. Very useful in slow maneuvering.
    Here is a good example:

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS
    Hey 42, did you get it?

I had a 2016 DCT and nobody could tell mine was auto-shift until I told them. Even when I took the advanced rider class, the instructors were fascinated by my clutch-less wonder. I got a lot of compliments on my bike and plenty of "biker waves".

Unless the "naysayers" are paying for your bike, grow a pair and just don't discuss your bike with them. And how in the world could you possibly even consider the opinion of someone who doesn't even ride? They have NOTHING to add to the conversation. I've learned over the years that "the people close to you" are the ones that do you the most harm. Any self-made millionaire/billionaire will tell you that listening to friends and family will keep you broke and unhappy. Just ask Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Techrat

Quote Originally Posted by lootzyan View Post
    You'd need to install, depending on your local regulations, auxiliary or main left hand rear brake caliper. Very useful in slow maneuvering.
    Here is a good example:

Thanks. Yes, I'd looked at those but so far haven't done it. Definitely a good idea. With DCT the parking brake lever looks like it would be in the way of the finger brake.
    Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Senior Member Negative comments from others about DCT
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Sharp looking bike Charlie. I am biased to white "S" models...mine has a fair bit of dirt on it... You have some nice modifications as well. Good job.

Bike: Honda CBR300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post
    Hey 42, did you get it?

I had a 2016 DCT and nobody could tell mine was auto-shift until I told them. Even when I took the advanced rider class, the instructors were fascinated by my clutch-less wonder. I got a lot of compliments on my bike and plenty of "biker waves".

Unless the "naysayers" are paying for your bike, grow a pair and just don't discuss your bike with them. And how in the world could you possibly even consider the opinion of someone who doesn't even ride? They have NOTHING to add to the conversation. I've learned over the years that "the people close to you" are the ones that do you the most harm. Any self-made millionaire/billionaire will tell you that listening to friends and family will keep you broke and unhappy. Just ask Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Techrat
    Not yet. Still waiting for 2020 so I can compare.