Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Negative comments from others about DCT

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Good choice! You won't regret it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Negative comments from others about DCT SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I wonder how many of us have NOT bought a certain bike in the past because it was only available with a heavy clutch?

I remember taking a demo ride on an Indian Scout and several Triumphs (the T100 and the Thruxton) and if they had an available DCT or similar feature I might have bought one, even with the much higher prices. But my aging wrist just isn't up to dealing with a heavy clutch in stop & go traffic, as I ride as much as I can, usually every day.

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    Never mind what others' say, **** 'em. After riding only manual clutch bikes my whole life, and reading reviews of off-highway riding for the DCT, I found a used one and like it so far. And after trying a manual NC I kept banging into red line, snapping myself forward, so I thought "let Honda do the shifting for me". I've yet to ride in the dirt though. So far, so good. Skid plate is coming soon. I installed center stand last week and today footpegs from MCMOTO, nice machining.

Junior Member Negative comments from others about DCT Canbo's Avatar
    Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT
    Long thread but I need to make it one post longer. Last year I traded my Versys 1000 for an NC750X DCT and I love this Honda. I'm 67 yo and even though the Versys had a slipper clutch my left wrist developed acute tendonitis so I had to make the change. I do 90% of my riding in manual mode simply because I'm used to being in control of what gear I'm in, I like engine-braking and, most of all, there is no way I could ever shift gears this fast with a manual clutch. I wish every bike I ever had was semi-automatic. I guarantee that the number of future bikes with IC engines and DCT transmissions can only increase dramatically in the next five years. When electric bikes are perfected, those with IC engines will become collector items.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Canbo View Post
    When electric bikes are perfected, those with IC engines will become collector items.
    Certainly not in our lifetime and maybe not in our children’s lifetime.

showkey - "perfected" was a poor choice of words. I apologize. In my opinion, electric bike sales will skyrocket once they can run 500 mi at 70 mph on a single charge and can be recharged overnight from a 100 amp circuit.

100 amp circuit? My whole shop is serviced by 100 amps. Sounds like an awful lot.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    100 amp circuit? My whole shop is serviced by 100 amps. Sounds like an awful lot.
    Standard set up for homes in my area is 200 amp service. I have a separate 100 amp service for my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Canbo View Post
    showkey - "perfected" was a poor choice of words. I apologize. In my opinion, electric bike sales will skyrocket once they can run 500 mi at 70 mph on a single charge and can be recharged overnight from a 100 amp circuit.
    I'd say they will probably sell in high numbers when they can make 250 ~ 300 highway miles and be recharged overnight on a 120v/20amp circuit or charged to 80% in 60 minutes on a fast charger. And sell the electric motorcycle at price point that is no more than 10-15% higher than the price of a similarly equipped IC engine motorcycle.
    Last edited by melensdad; 13th October 2019 at 05:23.

I'd say they will probably sell in high numbers when they can make 250 ~ 300 highway miles and be recharged overnight on a 120v/20amp circuit or charged to 80% in 60 minutes on a fast charger. And sell the electric motorcycle at price point that is no more than 10-15% higher than the price of a similarly equipped IC engine motorcycle.[/QUOTE]

I agree

I say unless they outlaw IC engines, I'll never own an electric motorcycle. Lol