Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Negative comments from others about DCT

Senior Member Negative comments from others about DCT davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    42-buy what you want...when they ask how you like it...tell them you 'love' it...Remind them that Ford Moto is putting their version of the DCT in their new 2020 Mustang GT500...does it make it less of a car because it wont have a normal automatic transmission....I dont have a DCT because I like to manually shift.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 700x
    if anyone teased me about the nc. just say, by the time it takes to adjust your valves, I will have adjusted mine, be 1000 miles away eating a steak dinner paid for with the money saved in gas. and if they still laugh, kick um in the balls and run.
    Last edited by kalifornia; 17th September 2019 at 09:13.

Senior Member Negative comments from others about DCT superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X

Talking

First off, I hate to see anything other than constructive advice on here. We strive to do that to the best of our ability.

Second, buy the DCT! After reading your desires in a motorcycle, it seems like it would fit you nicely! Regardless of what other people say, you're the one that will ride it and enjoy it. You don't need to buy a bike to fit someone else's needs or opinions. I have read some on what snobby riders thing of the DCT before they ride it and after they ride it. Their tune usually changes for the better once they have actually ridden the bike.

I don't own the DCT, but was very close to buying one. I had some snide comments come my way when I mentioned to other riders that I was considering the DCT. I think people are just jumping to conclusions even when they know nothing about it. I ultimately chose the best deal out of the two, but if I'm being honest, I really want to get a DCT. I can see how fun and enjoyable it would be.

Final thoughts:

Buy the DCT!

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Not to put too fine a point on it, look those negative family members and decide if you want to live your life exactly like they live theirs, because that’s the only way to keep them ‘happy’.

Bike: Gl1800

Negative comments from others about DCT

In July 2016 when the dct AT hit the market, motorcycle magazine did a review on 3 bikes.

Here is the link on a forum to the review.

BMW F800GS Adventure vs. Honda Africa Twin vs. Triumph Tiger 800 XCa - Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Forum

I thought this was interesting from the review

“Oddly enough, it was the more seasoned and confident off-road riders who enjoyed using the auto-shifting function while less confident riders found it uninteresting. “. End quote

Btw, I have over 80k trouble free miles between 2 dct bikes the last 3.5 years. Clutch levers are for cave men Negative comments from others about DCT

I attended a level 3 Adv class from dagroo in Oklahoma. Everyone in the class kind of poo pooed my dct during the intro meeting.

By the end of the class several came up to me with a changed mind on the dct.
    Last edited by misterk; 17th September 2019 at 09:43.

Bike: 2012 NC700X - manual; 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
    Forty Two, I'm sorry to hear that all the negative feedback you're getting is causing self-doubt. I know that's not a good feeling. The decision, of course, is yours so I can't recommend a course of action for you, but I am heartbroken to think that these comments might cause you to give up on this life that we are all so passionate about. Motorcycling is not just something we do; it's who we are, and it's big, broad, and inclusive, with room for lots of different types of people, motorcycles, and riding styles.
    Paul

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by Forty Two View Post
    To the members who wrote real constructive advice and ideas, I thank you for your kindness and understanding and your wish to help.

To the members who commented on my personality and the need to get pills...you read a few paragraphs and yet you think you know everything about my friends, family (it is mostly family causing the problems), or my life situation. How is your judgement any different than the people who judge the DCT? I hope that posting such comments made you feel clever because they served no other purpose.

I came here with the hope to receive real advice from others who may have faced the similar issues. If I wished to have my personality judged, I am sure that there is a nearby teenage hang-out that could serve that purpose.
    Sorry 42 but I stand by my comments with regard to your friends. If they have not ridden a DCT bike they they are not qualified to advise on its qualities be they negative or positive.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Negative comments from others about DCT ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Honda sells an accessory foot shifter for the NC700DCT, not sure about the NC750. I would put one of those on the bike and wire-tie a fake clutch cable to the handlebars.

Problem solved ;-)
    Last edited by ld_rider; 17th September 2019 at 11:44. Reason: spelling
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Super Moderator Negative comments from others about DCT 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Forty Two View Post
    To the members who wrote real constructive advice and ideas, I thank you for your kindness and understanding and your wish to help.

To the members who commented on my personality and the need to get pills...you read a few paragraphs and yet you think you know everything about my friends, family (it is mostly family causing the problems), or my life situation. How is your judgement any different than the people who judge the DCT? I hope that posting such comments made you feel clever because they served no other purpose.

I came here with the hope to receive real advice from others who may have faced the similar issues. If I wished to have my personality judged, I am sure that there is a nearby teenage hang-out that could serve that purpose.
    In all fairness, your first post ended with the open question to this diverse audience, “Any thoughts?” You should expect a variety of “thoughts”, even some that you don’t like.

I first thought the question was about advice on purchasing an option for a motorcycle, now I see it appears more about dealing with family and friend problems.

Jeez, it’s just a transmission! I’m having trouble understanding why anyone but the buyer/rider would even care how the transmission operates. No one in my circle of friends and family would care one bit how the power gets transferred from the engine to the wheel on my motorcycles. Sometimes I don’t even care, as long as the motorcycle moves.
    Last edited by 670cc; 17th September 2019 at 14:32. Reason: Punctuation
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Hopefully my advice did not come across as offensive, but you sound like you value others opinions far too much, even to the point of sacrificing your own happiness. I agree the see a shrink and get some pills comment was unnecessary, but life isn't always sunshine and rainbows, and thus you must again, not pay attention to what a lot of people say. That's just life.

Now buy the DCT, report back and tell us how much you love it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk