View Poll Results: How reliable is the DCT?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have had problems with it

0 0%
  • Have not had problems with it

16 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dct

Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT

Dct

I donít know how to set up a poll to answer this question so Iíll just ask. How many DCT owners have had no issues with their transmissions?

Thanks,

Bob

Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Under the "Thread Tools" pull down menu above your post, as seen from a web browser on a PC, there is a choice to add a poll to the thread. If you are using Tapatalk, that option may not be available to you.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Bought my 2013 NC700X DCT in May of 2016 with 4K miles on it (from first owner).
    Today, 3 years after, it's 20K miles on my odometer. No DCT issue so far.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    I'm buying a 2013 DCT model tomorrow with 8k miles on it. I am hoping for many problem free miles.

One thing I wonder, do the clutches wear in the tranny like a standard bike to where they will need replaced later? I can't imagine that would be cheap to replace, but could be wrong. Clutch needs replaced in my Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I am gonna dive in and do it myself one day soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I'm buying a 2013 DCT model tomorrow with 8k miles on it. I am hoping for many problem free miles.

One thing I wonder, do the clutches wear in the tranny like a standard bike to where they will need replaced later? I can't imagine that would be cheap to replace, but could be wrong. Clutch needs replaced in my Vulcan Nomad 1600 so I am gonna dive in and do it myself one day soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I have not yet read of a DCT needing a clutch replacement due to wear, although I’d expect it to happen someday since they use metal and friction disks like a manual wet clutch. I think I read that the whole dual clutch pack is to be replaced as a unit, rather than just replacing the friction plates.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

Senior Member Dct
    Dct

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    I bought my 2015 new. 24,000 miles with no problems (except for the time that I hit the kill switch in gear). It turned out to be a simple solution.
    >Thom
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Olythom View Post
    I bought my 2015 new. 24,000 miles with no problems (except for the time that I hit the kill switch in gear). It turned out to be a simple solution.
    >Thom
    What is the issue there? I read where if you kill it without putting in neutral first that upon turning key on and cranking, it automatically throws itself back in neutral. Is that correct?

Bike: 2018 NC750X DCT
    1850 miles on my 2018 750 DCT and 19,000 on my 2018 Goldwing DCT and no problems whatsoever.

Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Greg touched on this well but let me go a little further. The bike downshifts itself to 1st when stopped and if you turn off the key with it in gear it will shift to neutral upon turning the key back on. Another situation is when you are riding along in 5th or 6th and accidentally hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. The transmission can’t work it’s way back to N for the reason Greg posted. A manual transmission bike would do the same thing. The rider might get down a gear or two but not back to N without rocking the bike back and forth a little to allow the gear dogs to engage. If a DCT bike rolls to a stop key on but kill switch off it will stop in 3rd or 4th and can’t find N unless you roll the bike back and forth and help out the shift actuator servo motor.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Greg touched on this well but let me go a little further. The bike downshifts itself to 1st when stopped and if you turn off the key with it in gear it will shift to neutral upon turning the key back on. Another situation is when you are riding along in 5th or 6th and accidentally hit the kill switch and coast to a stop. The transmission can’t work it’s way back to N for the reason Greg posted. A manual transmission bike would do the same thing. The rider might get down a gear or two but not back to N without rocking the bike back and forth a little to allow the gear dogs to engage. If a DCT bike rolls to a stop key on but kill switch off it will stop in 3rd or 4th and can’t find N unless you roll the bike back and forth and help out the shift actuator servo motor.
    Thanks for giving me credit for a partial explanation, but I later decided that since I don't own a DCT, there are better experts such as you, that are better qualified to give an accurate answer. So, I removed my post.

But to summarize, what I said was that the DCT shifting is still sequential, like a manual transmission. The shift drum motor can't usually work back down to neutral from a high gear if the engine isn't running and the bike isn't moving, since the gear engagement dogs are likely not aligned or might have pressure on them, just as in a manual transmission.

Dave, is there some work-around where the DCT will start the engine when in gear as long as you hold the front brake lever?
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st May 2019 at 21:12.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"