Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's A Dirty Cover Up......

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

It's A Dirty Cover Up......

Good morning folks,

Yesterday, after I spent two hours trying to install my centerstand using several of the '5 minute' methods I got frustrated and knew I needed to take a break. Maybe I have some 'special' springs from 'Mother Honda' or just a weak ratchet strap but it just didn't work.

When I tried to put my cover back on the bike it just fell apart. There had been a few little cracks but as I tried to pull it into place the whole thing just disintegrated. It was supposed to be rated for outdoor use since the bike sits out behind my apartment but maybe 'Nelson Rigg' and I have a different definition of outdoor use.

Bottom line, after lunch I have to fight the centerstand springs again and order another cover.

Does anybody have a recommendation of a brand and model that will stand up to mother nature?

Slo_Rider
    Last edited by Slo_Rider; 8th February 2019 at 09:19.

Bike: '17 NC700X
    I had a devil of a time getting my centerstand on by myself as well. I grabbed a buddy and his hand strength was enough for him to position the stand for me to bolt it down.

I have the Honda cover and it's quite nice. Comparatively not inexpensive, but I have used it in a couple of nasty windstorms and it still looks new.

It also has little expandable zipouts for the saddlebags and trunk if you leave those on your bike, quite a cute design
    I think I got mine off rockymountainatv for around 60 or 70

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    2 seasons in the driveway and my Nelson Rigg cover disintegrated as well. Bought a speedmetal cover that seems pretty soft and durable. We'll see how it last over time. Wish I had a garage!

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    David helped me, we ended up using the undercarriage of my car to get the leverage. Went on in just a few minutes. Were I solo, I definitely would have had issues.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Senior Member It's A Dirty Cover Up......
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Any chance you have a link as to what makes it so hard to install?

Cover Up.......Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Any chance you have a link as to what makes it so hard to install?

Junkie,

To begin with, I have learned that I didn't know how to effectively use a ratchet strap. Sad, but true. YT has been quite the education.

Second, I had the covered part of the springs up near the engine case which might have been part of the reason. This may or not have been a factor.

Part of it is that I am old and not too flexible anymore and I am lying between my stoop steps and the bike.

No biggie, I am going to take it to the shop next week. If they charge me, it should only be a half hour of shop time.

And yes, I will very carefully bungee the centerstand so that it does not leave a trail of sparks on the way to the shop.

Thanks for all the cover suggestions...........

Slo_Rider

Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    So the hard part is getting the retention spring on?

Just curious, do you live in SLO? I went to school there and still visit fairly often.

Junkie,

That's it....if I had started earlier today I might have gotten the springs on but I didn't look at ratchet strap videos on YT until I had made a real FUBAR of it. Then it took an hour sitting here pondering whether or not to just throw the darn thing away, but everything is a learning experience if you let it be.

Currently I live in the midlands of South Carolina. Pretty state, but like all states, it has some issues.

Slo_Rider

Super Moderator It's A Dirty Cover Up...... 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Honda recommends an alternate method whereby you install the springs first and the grab the stand and lever it into place by hand. You then have a helper, who doesn’t need any strength, to tap the “axle” into place with a mallet while you align the stand with the holes. Install the retainer bolt and you’re done. The springs are already installed. I used this method without incident. But of course, a helper is required.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Honda recommends an alternate method whereby you install the springs first and the grab the stand and lever it into place by hand. You then have a helper, who doesn’t need any strength, to tap the “axle” into place with a mallet while you align the stand with the holes. Install the retainer bolt and you’re done. The springs are already installed. I used this method without incident. But of course, a helper is required.
    That’s exactly what I ended up doing with my wonderful wife. Bingo. Took two minutes.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..