Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new 750x DCT

Bike: NC750x
    Today I took my bike in for its free 600 mile tune up. I mentioned the harshness of the ride, and I was told that the rear suspension can actually be adjusted a bit (for $25). I don’t really know if it will help or not, but I should find out soon. I wonder if anyone else has had this done?

Senior Member My new 750x DCT SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Sounds like they're just going to change the setting on the rear shock.
    The owner's manual didn't seem to show how to do this, but usually it's easy, but a bit of a bit of a knuckle buster.

Senior Member My new 750x DCT GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

My new 750x DCT

You can adjust the preload on the rear shock by turning the locking rings. There’s a lot of posts around here about how to properly set the preload for the correct amount of sag. It’s not hard and I’m not sure the dealer is going to go through the process for $25 - they’re probably just going to guesstimate how much to turn the rings. You can do that yourself - you can get a spanner wrench to turn the rings, or use the old “hammer and screwdriver” method.

It can certainly help a bit to have the shock set for your weight - however it’s not going to be night and day. For example, I’m 6’ and 235lb and I adjusted the shock for the correct sag, but that didn’t leave a lot of “working room” for the shock. I needed a new shock with the correct spring for my weight (I ultimately bought an Ohlins and that made a huge difference).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member My new 750x DCT dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The adjustment the dealer can make to the rear shock will not affect the harshness of the suspension. The forks and shock are not adjustable for compression damping which is the harshness you feel over sharp bumps. The shock preload adjustment sets ride height and will only effectively raise the seat height.

Edit to add that as GregC noted if you are a heavier rider the preload adjustment can push the ride height up to where the shock is able to absorb a hit before bottoming out at the limit of travel which is very harsh when it hits the limit of travel. Generally speaking though the preload adjustment will not change the stiffness of the spring.
    Last edited by dduelin; 20th November 2018 at 07:52.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

After the adjustment, I can say that I understand earlier comments. It doesn’t seem to make much difference.

I’ll probably try to get used to the hard ride, and maybe after a half year or so try to upgrade the suspension. For now, I’m trying to ride a bit more on the balls of my feet, and absorb more shock with my legs; the disadvantage of this, of course, is that it makes it a bit harder to use the rear brake, but I normally rely mainly on engine braking and the front brake, unless it’s a true emergency.

Thanks for all input and advice.

Fred

Here’s a question about upgrading the suspension. Is it really dumb to upgrade just the rear shocks, or is it always best to upgrade the front, too?

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    I think the general consensus is that if you upgrade the rear you will realize how bad the front is.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member My new 750x DCTMy new 750x DCT kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Congratulations on your new bike and welcome to the forum.

Senior Member My new 750x DCT GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by fschodt View Post
    Here’s a question about upgrading the suspension. Is it really dumb to upgrade just the rear shocks, or is it always best to upgrade the front, too?
    I think practically speaking you can do the rear then the front later to spread out the cost. The rear is expensive and to me made a big, big difference. I did an Ohlins on the rear. You will indeed then notice the front, but it’s not like the bike is unstable or anything.

Personally, I did fine just changing front springs and oil - many do emulators as well but that was just a bridge too far price-wise on an $8k bike. I’m enjoying the bike much more with the rear shock and fork springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a very good note, two of my recent 100 mile commutes have yielded between 68 and 72 miles per gallon. That’s mixed traffic using 880 in the San Francisco Bay Area. It seems that on flat stretches 6th gear and 60 mph is something of a sweet spot for the bike.