Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honda Powersports 2019 Model News Releases

Super Moderator Honda Powersports 2019 Model News Releases 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    Pretty blue; however, with other bike manufacturers making 650-700cc adventure style bikes with 15-20 more hp and torque, in the same price range, Honda's future mid-deplacement bikes may be time limited. With the Versys 650 having 15 more hp, the Yamaha Tracer 700 (I know not in North America yet, but neither was the 750 in US for years after introduction) having 20 more hp, Royal Enfield coming out with the 650 twin standard bikes next year (I know only 47 HP but close to a $6000 bike-they are shooting for less in the US) and the wee strom having 70 hp, Honda is going to need to do some engine upgrading to match the hp output of the other manufacturers (or bring the price down significantly as the RE). I really enjoy riding my NC700, but if I have to do a replacement in the future, it will probably be at the bottom of the list compared to these other bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    Probably should be comparing to the other manufacturers within the intended purpose (commuter). So which have machines that consistently return 70+ MPG and still make around 50 Ft-lb usable torque?
    Agree with Krampus. And not to beat an almost dead horse here, but in terms of the future of the NC series, realize that motorcycle industry problem Number One is attracting new buyers to a shrinking customer base. I think Honda has attempted to tackle this problem with their motorcycle model designs, more so than other manufacturers. The NC really introduced the DCT to the mainstream, and it is aimed at making motorcycles more user friendly for new riders. Perhaps the rest of the world appreciates this more, where as in the USA buyers more are stuck on high power bikes and heavy iron cruisers.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Honda Powersports 2019 Model News Releases davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    Probably should be comparing to the other manufacturers within the intended purpose (commuter). So which have machines that consistently return 70+ MPG and still make around 50 Ft-lb usable torque?
    Except we are the small minority and there is not enough of us to keep the model going.. I hope I am wrong but don't see it. Some of those other bikes do get it the same mpg range (not quite as high but close enough). When potential buyers compare the NC700 to these other bikes; they are going to look at the hp, the bigger gas tanks (dont matter to them if the mpg isnt the same), the ergonomics, all the complaints of the NC700 seats, comparable prices, and some of those other bikes come with standard side bags, guards, etc....some of those other bikes are commute bikes also, same or less weight, just as maneuverable. Just saying, wont get rid of my NC700 but just saying.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here are more details about the new models, particularly the CB500X, from the man in Chattanooga:

ALL-NEW 2019 Honda Motorcycles Released! | Lineup Update #4 - EICMA
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

Member Honda Powersports 2019 Model News Releases New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Agree with Krampus. And not to beat an almost dead horse here, but in terms of the future of the NC series, realize that motorcycle industry problem Number One is attracting new buyers to a shrinking customer base. I think Honda has attempted to tackle this problem with their motorcycle model designs, more so than other manufacturers. The NC really introduced the DCT to the mainstream, and it is aimed at making motorcycles more user friendly for new riders. Perhaps the rest of the world appreciates this more, where as in the USA buyers more are stuck on high power bikes and heavy iron cruisers.
    I had been disappointed with the offerings from America and Japan for years. Cruiser bikes without tachometers, 'crotch rockets' that sound like the worlds largest bees and fuel efficient bikes that wind out at 70 mph. I could NOT understand why no one even considered making a bike that got great mileage on the freeway. I mean, what was so hard about that? Talking to other bike riders it was clear that all they cared about was top speed or how many houses away can you wake the neighbors? I just wanted a bike with a tach that got better mileage than a Prius, shouldn't be hard, even with my fat *** on it, it would still weigh considerably less. When I was looking for a new commuter vehicle I was surprised to find the NC. It is what I have been looking for for quite a while. Is it perfect? no, but it is pretty close to the bike I would have made if I was designing it.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    I had been disappointed with the offerings from America and Japan for years. Cruiser bikes without tachometers, 'crotch rockets' that sound like the worlds largest bees and fuel efficient bikes that wind out at 70 mph. I could NOT understand why no one even considered making a bike that got great mileage on the freeway. I mean, what was so hard about that? Talking to other bike riders it was clear that all they cared about was top speed or how many houses away can you wake the neighbors? I just wanted a bike with a tach that got better mileage than a Prius, shouldn't be hard, even with my fat *** on it, it would still weigh considerably less. When I was looking for a new commuter vehicle I was surprised to find the NC. It is what I have been looking for for quite a while. Is it perfect? no, but it is pretty close to the bike I would have made if I was designing it.
    My thoughts too.

My biggest gripe is the size of the fuel tank. It should be larger, by at least 1 gallon.

A more 'adventure' oriented suspension would be nice too, but I can live with what they have or buy some aftermarket.

Not a commuter bike for me. I actually like the concept of a tame adventure style bike that can be easily adapted to travel, is nice and maneuverable for riding locally but has easy road manners and is comfortable on highways.

Let kids have loud bikes and let the accountants and dentists in their mid-life crisis periods buy H-Ds. I'll take a practical bike with good manners and a quiet muffler.

I suspect it may be offered for sale in the USA for as long as it is popular in Europe and other parts of the world. As long as production numbers are high enough globally there will be some version of the NC700x/750x offered.

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    As I say, NC is the motorcycle of real people and the motorcycle of the economical crisis...

At Greece with gasoline prices from $1.76 / L or $7.621 / U.S. gal the NC and all of the other taxes, mid to low end bikes are here to stay. The majority can’t afford expensive (and unreliable) and they sell well.

In E.U. we also have a very different geography, terrain. Having more turns than straights more HP is really useless. We need more skills than HP...

IMHO, NC doesn’t fit well the U.S. but it’s perfect for other markets.

Also see the last Honda annual report. The U.S. & European motorcycle market seems insignificant, obsolete...
    https://global.honda/content/dam/sit...report_s_e.pdf

I guess from a financial point their focus is mostly on Asia.

Bike: X-Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, 1989 Honda Dominator
    Good to see the 19" wheel on the 500. Pity they wouldn't do the same for the NCX.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Bike: VFR1200X, CRF1000L, NC700X
    What do you feel you gain in advantage going from a 17 to 19 inch wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    The general gain is that the 19 inch will roll over bumps and rough roads better than the 17 (your AT sports a 21 inch front for that reason). More dual sport/adventure tires sizes may also be available.

A common mod for the CB500X is a Rally Raid kit that make the bike more adventure ready. That kit included a 19 inch front. Maybe Honda is just trying to lean the bike more toward the adventure side.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

Bike: X-Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, 1989 Honda Dominator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    As 670 says above.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.