Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing the nc's

Senior Member Washing the nc'sWashing the nc's PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by GunNut37086 View Post
    They got me some S-100 for my birthday last month and wanted me to promise I'd use it before they see my bike again, LOL.
    It really good stuff, but not a miracle worker - if you have 12 months of off-road mud and grime, it won't work well as a spray and rinse solution (pour some in a bucket with warm water and wash the old fashioned way...) But for those like me who like to give the bike a bath every 500 miles or so, it is brilliant.
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Bike: NC700X
    For some reason I thought S100 was only for cleaning engines...is it safe to use everywhere?

Bike: NC700X
    I have been using this for years. I'd buy it by the gallon at the local Honda Dealer.

Premium Motorcycle Wash | Spectro Oils

Senior Member Washing the nc'sWashing the nc's PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbauer View Post
    For some reason I thought S100 was only for cleaning engines...is it safe to use everywhere?
    I spray it on everything. Follow the instructions and you will be a happy camper! Again, though, just to be clear, this will not work on a bike that hasn't been washed in years... But it is great for the once-a-month or two cleaning...
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Bike: VN900, KLZ1000
    Mineral spirits on a rag is great for lower and underneath spots where oil & grease mix with road grit... (also great for cleaning the chain.) The rag wicks it right up. Then I dilute a car soap mixed with carnuba wax, comes in a 1-gallon dayglo orange jug from Auto Zone -- great stuff--, to wipe everything down with a soft brush or fleece mitt, then a low pressure rinse with the garden hose, then a leaf blower to dry the nooks and crannies. Then a soft dry towel where needed on shiny parts to make then *extra* shiny. It's fast work and leaves everything spotless.

Another great thing: use one of those hairy-looking dusting wands to remove dust between washes.

Bike: 12 nc700x
    Leaf blower works great for getting water out that sits in the hidden nooks on our bikes

Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    About the only time I ever wash my bikes is after I've been caught in the rain and have spots or mud all over. I use one of those nozzles with lots of different settings. Never more water pressure than what a good downpour of rain might give. The 2016 bike has so many angles, creases and crevices that you have to ride it to get it somewhat dry.

But since I use a cover on my bike daily I use a lot of detail spray between washes. I also keep a small bottle in my travel tailbag. When touring, at stops when I need it I spray and wipe the windscreen with a microfiber towel. And then do the same to my faceshield.

When I clean/ lube my chain I will try to do a deeper detailing of the bike. Especially the wheels, which are always done last. While dirt, mud and grease don't show up as easily on the silver wheels of my 2016, I hate getting my knuckles dirty every time I put on the chain and disklock.

Senior Member Washing the nc's
    Washing the nc's
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Besides the drive chain, avoid spraying water at the steering head, swingarm pivots, and near the wheel bearings.