Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model)

Bike: NC750XAD

Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model)

Regarding DCT in S-mode: If you do a moderate (slow) acceleration, at what speed do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?

I don't want a debate, but would be very happy if anyone will do the test and answer my question. I fear that I have a fault in my DCT and need to know what's normal.
    Thanks

Bike: VFR1200XD
    Around 100 kph in S-mode. It won't switch even if you force it lower than ~95kph. Sometimes it stays in 4th\5th gear upto to 140 kph

Senior Member Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model) FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Depends on which S-mode for the '16s as we have 3 options, just sayin'!!

In D it changes <40, maybe around 37. In S1 it is more in the 50-60 range. I say range because it seems to take into consideration whether I'm going uphill or not, and more importantly my rate of acceleration. If I'm slowly increasing speed on a flat it is closer to 50. If I'm "having fun" on entering a faster road then it's closer to 60 and I've even had it in the 65 range I think when I really wound it up getting on a motorway.
    --
    Fez

Quote Originally Posted by Juggler View Post
    Around 100 kph in S-mode. It won't switch even if you force it lower than ~95kph. Sometimes it stays in 4th\5th gear upto to 140 kph
    Thanks. In very slow acceleration (no wind on flat road) mine never shifts to 6 gear under 140kmt, is that normal? I find it extreme
    Last edited by jangermann; 16th June 2016 at 05:16.

Quote Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post

In D it changes <40, maybe around 37. In S1 it is more in the 50-60 range. I say range because it seems to take into consideration whether I'm going uphill or not, and more importantly my rate of acceleration. If I'm slowly increasing speed on a flat it is closer to 50. If I'm "having fun" on entering a faster road then it's closer to 60 and I've even had it in the 65 range I think when I really wound it up getting on a motorway.
    Thanks. The 2016 model is nice with all the S modes. But my guestion is only for the 2014/2015 model (see heading), and with very slow acceleration on flat road
    Last edited by jangermann; 16th June 2016 at 05:15.

Bike: VFR1200XD
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post
    Thanks. In very slow acceleration (no wind on flat road) mine never shifts to 6 gear under 140kmt, is that normal? I find it extreme
    it shifts to 6th over 100 kph but not that fast. try manual switching if it works I wouldn't bother. 6th gear in S-mode uses mysterious switching algo.

Manual switching do work in S-mode, but only above 3000 rpm.
    I made this video (see my fight to get it to shift to 6 gear i s-mode) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEKbUH08I70

If there is some thing wrong with my bike, I want it fixed.

Super Moderator Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model) 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by FezUSA View Post

Jumping in here to add some clarification. The original question is in regards to the 750, not the 700. If the gearing is different, shift points may be as well. Also, the OP, being from Denmark, may think in terms of kph. You didn't state the measurement units, but I assume your numbers all represent mph.
    Last edited by 670cc; 16th June 2016 at 06:02.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post
    ...If there is some thing wrong with my bike, I want it fixed...
    Can you test ride similar (2014-2015) NC or CTX? This would give you peace of mind that the problem is with your NC or this is expected behavior.

PCM is getting signal about bike speed from only one sensor - VS sensor. Testing is described in section 4 and 12 of service manual.
    The signal from sensor is split for combination meter and PCM. Testing is pretty complicated because involves erasing of DTC code and initial test ride. The most difficult is getting to PCM module.

You may also perform "Clutch Initialize Learning" procedure described in section 12 of service manual. Some people report that they ride improved...(?)

Senior Member Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model)
    Regarding DCT in S-mode: When do your NC750 DCT shift to 6 gear?? (not on 2016 model)

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by lootzyan View Post
    You may also perform "Clutch Initialize Learning" procedure described in section 12 of service manual. Some people report that they ride improved...(?)
    I was gonna cut & paste the service manual instructions for that but lo and behold here it is:

https://nc700-forum.com/forum/garage-...tml#post155681

Speed is probably not the thing you want to use to measure whether it's working or not since that can vary based on a lot of external factors.

Pay more attention to what the RPM is when things happen.

I would think that the S mode avoids that sluggish 6th gear until it absolutely has to use it, eg 5000+ RPM is achieved in 5th and you're still asking for more.
    Generally that's going to be freeway / breaking the law speeds.

That speed is going to vary on the gearing, your weight, the wind resistance, road, tires and so on. Remember, the NC has lots of torque at any RPM so it is
    possible to slowly accelerate to very high road speeds without particularly driving the RPM high.